Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2016, 00:33   #16

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: staysail boom; pros and cons

Here's an old thread on a similar topic. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=1923219

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-02-2016, 03:24   #17

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

I have used a curved track to tack the staysail, the sheet runs up the mast then down again, the modern hanse yachts use this system.
Also as I lost the yacht, I actually have the track in my garage in Sydney if anyone needs one.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 03:29   #18

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Actually I have a Video on utube of the sail and track from when I put it on a few years back, under username huntersinoz, called mv1431

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 08:48   #19

With the convenience of a boomed staysail I was satisfied with less than maximum efficiency. However, I've seen boomless staysails using a neat deck traveler to provide self tending. My biggest priority was keeping the water out. lol Hopefully you will experience the extreme joy of remaining on the same tack for weeks at a time.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 09:07   #20

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Thanks RoverHi for that detailed discussion. I have a staysail boom which I am planning to remove (for all the reasons you list). Now I will have a foredeck I can use to carry a hard dink.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 10:53   #21

Boat: Downeaster 38

thank you all for your input!
I believe consensus is impossible with sailors but the different experiences are always valuable.
As with everything having to do with boats, I'm going to take it all with a grain of salt and go figure it out on my own armed with the different possibilities.
Rick
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 17:42   #22

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Staysail booms are the spawn of the devil. They are dangerous, have the scar to prove it; they are in the way; they result in a poor setting sail when the sheet is loosened unless you have one of those ugly Hoyt Booms or vang the boom and then you lose the self tacking convenience; they limit the size of the staysail, and it's another piece of hardware to maintain.

Made two deliveries of Westsail 32s with staysail booms and found them totally useless as well as dangerous. It was a no brainer to go with a loose footed staysail sheeted to tracks on the cabin top for our W32. Sail set just like any jib and sail shape was easy to control with sheet tension and/or block location just like a jib. Almost never moved the blocks as the sail set so well once the best location was found. Had a 100% staysail designed to fully fill the fore triangle picking up a extra square feet of needed sail area. Even had an overlapping genoa staysail made but had sheeting conflicts with the forward lower shroud so didn't take it with us on the cruise. A boat without forward lowers could use this type of sail which worked well in lieu of a big overlapping genoa on the forestay. Tacking the staysail was super simple short tacking. Release the jib and staysail, then pull in the staysail on the other tack quickly by hand and then sheet in the jib. Added virtually no time or effort to taking as the sail was small and easily handed. With a little practice, usually hauled it in so it was perfectly set on the new tack and didn't require retrimming.

The boomed StaySail had to be undersized to fit on the boom. The boomed staysails made for miserable setting sails. As soon as the sheet was eased to run off a bit, the boom kited and the sail got a huge belly in it. Only way to prevent it was to vang the boom down. That required going forward to set the vang and had to be redone constantly if the winds varied much. The vang also negated self tacking as you had to go forward and release the vang to be able to tack. Without the vang, the boom would kite to head banging height and sweep the foredeck without constant vigilance at the helm on a reach. Damn thing hit me in the head requiring stitches when the boat slewed from a following sea and the sail flogged. The staysail boom had to be lashed out of the way to work the windlass. It was also constantly impeding progress when going forward or working on the foredeck. It was diabolical as which ever side it was on, it was always where I needed to be. Also couldn't store the hard dinghy on the foredeck with a staysail boom.
Agree. Our prior boat - tiny in price to what you quote - Cape Dory 30 - had boomed staysail. And it smacked me on the hip resulting in tremendous bruise but thankfully not enough whap to send me overboard. (Went forward to reduce sail w/ water spout approaching. Boat tacked /whatever and I went into the life lines.) Our current Shannon 38 already has the clubfoot converted to a furler. It tacks about as well as if it were on the rigid club foot. I'm sure if I were on the foredeck I could be hurt by the sail, but there is a reason that a clubfooted jib is a "widow maker" -- or the female equivalent. I would rather be hit by a sail than sail plus boom.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 18:30   #23

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I really don't understand all these issues with getting wacked by a staysail boom. Simple solution... permanent preventers and a little bit of care and there is absolutly no need for it to swing around across the deck. Lead the preventers aft and you can use them to back the staysail, hold it central and adjust the twist as well.

The space a boom takes up is a valid concern, but properly set up and used its less dangerous than most main booms.

Anybody getting clouted by the boom simply hasn't used one properly.
Old 17-02-2016, 18:44   #24

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Eh? The slot must be powered.. The club is a great help. I always approach it from the windward side..it's not worse than the Yankee in that way. It's not on a furler and does not reach past the main mast... There could be a low aspect jib there for ops without main sail but so far not. The club will stay.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:54   #25

Boat: 1975 morgan outisland 33'

According to my sail maker the reason for the club foot is if you're out and in heavy seas it is better when the wave breaks over the bow and easier to handle and easier to see under
kennyarmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail