Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 20:21   #1

Staysail on Sloop

Ok i have a columbia 26 mk 2. It is a bermudian sloop standard rig.

I noticed another halyard that ran partway up the mast in front. Initially after buying the boat i thought it may have been for a spinnaker, (i bought the boat with zero sailing experience) but then realized it was way too low for the chute and would cause the spinnaker to get fouled in the forestay. There are also two tracks mounted on the foredeck. I had originally figured that they were for a small storm jib or tighter turning.

Well today after doing lots of curious reading, i realize that this halyard is for a staysail, and the tracks are for a staysail.

looks like the rvyc racing team that used to own my boat had converted her into a slutter at one point.

The strange equation that kept me confused for so long was that there is no inner forestay on which to mount another sail. I do beleive there is a deck mount for it, and although its pretty high up the mast to see theres probably a place to attach one up there too.

There is no extra forestay on the boat that ive been able to find, and the boat came with extra everythings (6 sails, downriggers, tools, cups, wood dowelling, life jackets you name it).

Given my limited experience sailing im in no rush to put up a staysail. The winds are downright nutty and 20+ kt winds are the order of the day rain or shine. Managing two sails is enough, and the inner forestay would make tacking with the jib a PIA, or impossible with the genoa. I have a mylar blade for winter sailing that i havent used yet and two yankee jibs.

Im wondering what is entailed in setting it up. The forestay and backstay are pretty solid and permanent, i cant imagine an inner forestay that could foul a jib during a tack or make a genoa almost unuseable being permanent. Plus, theres obviously not one on there now.

Ive heard of soylent stays but ive not the foggiest clue if that is at all relevant.

Any ideas?
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:43   #2

Boat: Pearson 36
Re: Staysail on Sloop

I would guess that the "extra halyard" is a spinnaker pole topping lift. and that the tracks on deck are for the pole down haul. If it were some type of inner forestay situation there would be a tang on the mast, and the attachment point on deck would need to be connected to the hull (via bulkhead or rod rigging) and would possibly need running backstays...
triton274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 20:47   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'DAy Mr C,

Another possibility is that the "halyard" is actually a topping lift for the spinnaker pole. Usually if there had been an inner forestay the tang or other fitting on the mast for the upper end of the stay would be prominant and obvious, even from deck level.

If you chose to add a staysail, you would likely need running backstays to support the mast and keep it from bending forward from the loads of the inner stay. It is possible to use a quick disconnecting device called a Highfield lever that allows you to quickly set up the inner stay when needed, and this keeps the foredeck clear for tacking the genny in lighter conditions. "Slutters" often don't do too well under double head rig, but just use the staysail as a heavy weather sail.

The so called Solent rig utilizes a second forestay that starts just below the headstay and goes to the usual place on the foredeck. With this setup one does not need the runners because the loads are close to where the mast is supported by the regular backstay. The disadvantage is that the gap between inner and regular forestays is even smaller, and makes tacking a genoa a "roll it up to tack" situation. This is a pita indeed... ask me how I know!!

Hope that this helps you understand the options, mate.

Cheers,

Jim

PS: Seems that Triton typed faster than me!
Old 04-09-2012, 20:49   #4

You might be right, but the tracks are the same ones for the cars that i run the jib sheets through, the previous owner told me that the mylar blade sheets run through them. Ive not got a clue how to deploy the pole but there is one on the deck (the boat had the racing option shipped from the factory as the sidestays tell from the documentation)

Its just that this halyard runs so high, about 2/3 the height of the mast. Could that be for the pole?
Old 04-09-2012, 20:57   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
You might be right, but the tracks are the same ones for the cars that i run the jib sheets through, the previous owner told me that the mylar blade sheets run through them. Ive not got a clue how to deploy the pole but there is one on the deck (the boat had the racing option shipped from the factory as the sidestays tell from the documentation)

Its just that this halyard runs so high, about 2/3 the height of the mast. Could that be for the pole?
Yes, that sounds about right for the pole lift.

Your blade sail may be cut so that the sheets need to lead farther forward than your normal genoa tracks run, and perhaps further inboard as well. This will likely give you a lovely close-winded sail for getting to windward in a breeze.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-09-2012, 21:02   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

According to this:

Columbia 26 Mk II and K Specifications

the boat came with a pole lift/halyard that was 40' long. Presuming it ends on the mast, that would put the block about 20-25' above the deck? Does that seem close?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:03   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post

...looks like the rvyc racing team that used to own my boat had converted her into a slutter at one point......
Hmmm, don't believe I'm familiar with that rig?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 21:06   #8

Well maybe she wasnt converted to a slutter after all. There are a bunch of extra attachment points on the deck similar to where the stays are attached to the deck, but the previous owner has been sailing for 30 years and im sure he would have mentioned a cutter conversion for a staysail when selling it.

Methinks that the next sailing lesson on the boat will be to explain use of the pole, in theory at the docks, and describe how to fly the kite, maybe pop it up on a light day (not that those days happen often in squamish). Thank god for sailing lessons on your own boat.

This is off topic and the thread should die, but ive heard about poling out the genoa (150), that might be a better use of the pole lesson on a reach.
Old 04-09-2012, 21:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
According to this:

Columbia 26 Mk II and K Specifications

the boat came with a pole lift/halyard that was 40' long. Presuming it ends on the mast, that would put the block about 20-25' above the deck? Does that seem close?
Yes makes sense and sounds about right.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Hmmm, don't believe I'm familiar with that rig?
Learn something everyday -- one of the things that keeps sailing interesting. I had never heard the term "slutter" rig before. Researched it a bit, turns out I've sailed on a couple of boats that could be called "slutter" rigs, but just not heard the term.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:34   #11

Boat: contessa 32

When I'm on a slutter I never need a pole lift.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sloop