Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2013, 09:33   #1

Stellar 30' Sailboat

I have one of these docked in Clearwater Florida - I believe only 12 were ever made. Wondering where the other 11 might be ?
Also if there is a member in the Clearwater Beach area ?
emcilwaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:50   #2

Re: Stellar 30' Sailboat

I have always been interested in the Stellar 30 lifting keel version and would love to take a look at yours the next time I am in Clearwater. Call me if you ever consider selling it.
I have a similar trailerable lifting keel mega 30 in Toronto , Canada but I visit Clearwater every winter for training at the Clearwater community sailing center.
Robert
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 20:37   #3

I saw your post from some years back. We have one of the retrackting keel Stellar's which we are selling. It is in Rhode Island.
Kateandjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:08   #4

Very interesting information. I would like to know all details about boat and asking price. Does it have a trailer?
Thanks Robert
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 13:19   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

I have one of the 12; we keep her in Deale, MD. We have the full keel version, but one of the retracting keels would be fantastic in the Chesapeake.

We've only had her right at two years now, in that time I've completely repowered, and by "completely," I mean new sails and engine - a universal m25 (I also still have the old Yanmar 1gm10 if someone wants to buy it - it runs, but needs some work).

I actually have a fairly specific question for other owners (or past owners):

We have a hydraulic tiller steered version. The tiller moves a two-way hydraulic cylinder located inside the aft cabin immediately forward of the companionway ladder. There are two hydraulic lines, with one wrapping around the port side of the cabin and the other on the starboard side. They connect to another two way hydraulic cylinder just inside the top of the transom that is directly connected to the rudder tiller/control arm.

I want to convert to wheel steering (two reasons: 1. If there are more than two people in the cockpit, there's simply not enough room to swing the tiller, and honestly, sometimes even two are a crowd, and 2. It would very much please the admiral).

So my question for the other owners is, do you have a wheel, and if yes, how is it ultimately connected to the rudder?
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 13:27   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

Also, if you are trying to find the fate of the 12, I'm pretty sure that one of them is at the bottom of the Atlantic. She was capsized and dismasted in an off-shore race. I found an old article describing it a couple months ago - I'll see if I can locate a link.

And finally, one of them also won both legs of the Bermuda 1-2 one year (on adjusted time). She was sailed by the boats designer James Kyle. I will also see if I can find a link to those race results when I get to a real computer.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 15:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
Very interesting information. I would like to know all details about boat and asking price. Does it have a trailer?
Thanks Robert
Robert,

There is no trailer, details on the boat follow.

For sale: Vision Quest, a Stellar 30 ft. center-cockpit fiberglass sloop.

The boat was built in 1986 by North End Marine Engineering in Rockland, Maine. The displacement is 5600 pounds with a draft of 5'3" with board down and 2'3" with board up.

The yacht sleeps 6 (2 in the forward cabin, 2 in rear cabin, 2 in saloon).

The yacht has a PHRF rating of 156, cruising speed of 6 knots, and a maximum speed of 7-8 knots.

Home port is Bullocks Cove on Narragansett Bay (Riverside, Rhode Island). The asking price is $14,000.

The engine is the original 18 HP Yanmar GM20F. The fully battoned main sail is relatively new and the genoa is old but serviceable. Steering is by a 26" Edson Destroyer wheel with push-pull cables fed to an externally hung rudder on the transom. The roller furling is a Harken manual. Winches are 2x Lewmar #30 with self tailing, 3x Lewmar #7, 1x Lewmar #7 on mast.

Additional equipment includes a 8 foot inflatable, 3.5 hp outboard, canvas dodger, Garmin chart-plotter, alcohol burner stove, built-in ice box, hot water heater (inoperable), 54 gallons of fresh water, full head and shower, depth sounder, and knot meter.

Pictures available on request.

Thanks, John
Kateandjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 16:31   #9

Newbie here, seems I'm like others who found this old link when trying to search for info about a Stellar 30. I just acquired a 1984 Stellar 30 with lifting keel and like others are trying to find more info on this rare boats.
brianh64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat