Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2024, 10:15   #1

Stepping a mast recommendations

I purchased a new to me boat that I will haul to my lakeside sailing club (1 hour distant). I have to step the mast. Both origin and destination have jib booms that I will use. The boat is a Catalina 27, but my question is more general and should apply to most any boat.

Do you have any recommendations on what to watch out for during this effort or take advantage of when the mast is down. Do you have any tricks or gear for securing the mast and rigging during hauling.

I am thinking of checking or replacing wiring, sensors, gear at the top of the mast. I do not know what is up there.

I don't know the age of the standing rigging. Its a fresh water boat, and am told rigging lasts forever in fresh water. Is there a way to test it will last another 10 years or more?

I am not sure what materials I will need for hauling (other than a large truck and trailer), including if these boats are strapped down (my Hobie is strapped to its trailer, but it is about 7,000 pounds lighter and 7 times faster).
yelkenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 11:40   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Stepping a mast recommendations

It would be excellent if masts (and all other gear for that matter) do/did last forever when used in fresh water. Perhaps it is so in the world of Disney but no where else sadly.

Appreciate that you seem to have the step/unstep covered, but here's a thread to unstepping a mast you might also find helpful: Raising the mast on a Catalina 27.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rust never sleeps.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	291778  

Tags
mast, men