Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2023, 17:03   #1

Storing on the Hard in the Caribbean

Hey There!

Digging further into what makes the most sense for the future cruising plans, there is one angle I'd like to look into that I was wondering if anyone had any experience with.

Storing the boat on the hard somewhere in the Caribbean:

The idea came to me as I was basically trying to find the most cost effective what to store a 40 foot Monohull coastal cruiser. Originally I was thinking of keeping it in a slip at a marina, but all year round, that would get pricey. What I figured, perhaps if I limited the cruising to a few months out of the year and then stored it on land for the rest of the time that that might be a much more cost effective way...?

As far as I can tell, the costs would be:
1. The cost of boat haul out.
2. the monthly storage cost.

Am I missing anything? Are there certain islands that make the most sense? (as an American). Is it more cost effective? I live in SW Florida, so its not out of the questions to sail her back home at the end of the season. Does anyone have a rough idea of what that might cost a month?

Much thanks in advance.
BeneG
BeneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 17:10   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Storing on the Hard in the Caribbean

Check out https://commutercruiser.com/
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 19:58   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

The rain, sun and hurricanes in the Caribbean without a 24/7 keeper will wear a boat down
fast, not to mention burglary and theft.
(My boat was broken into on St. Thomas while on the hard at the Antilles yard in the lagoon)
Old 07-07-2023, 12:23   #4

I only know of one place where my cat is presently at. St Kitts Marine works. I think it is about $1000 haul out and about $250 per month for a monohull. $500 per month for cat. It is far enough South to miss the big hurricanes, but it can happen. They typically dig a hole for the keel and rudder to get the whole boat low. Then strap it down with cables. Plenty high enough to not be affected by ocean surge.

The boatyard has people living on the boat when on the hard, and there is security 24/7. You can hook up to water and electricity. They do not have a marina, just 2 huge travelifts. So it is fairly cheap, fairly safe, and easy to get to.
danno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 17:00   #5

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeneG View Post
Hey There!

Digging further into what makes the most sense for the future cruising plans, there is one angle I'd like to look into that I was wondering if anyone had any experience with.

Storing the boat on the hard somewhere in the Caribbean:

The idea came to me as I was basically trying to find the most cost effective what to store a 40 foot Monohull coastal cruiser. Originally I was thinking of keeping it in a slip at a marina, but all year round, that would get pricey. What I figured, perhaps if I limited the cruising to a few months out of the year and then stored it on land for the rest of the time that that might be a much more cost effective way...?

As far as I can tell, the costs would be:
1. The cost of boat haul out.
2. the monthly storage cost.

Am I missing anything? Are there certain islands that make the most sense? (as an American). Is it more cost effective? I live in SW Florida, so its not out of the questions to sail her back home at the end of the season. Does anyone have a rough idea of what that might cost a month?

Much thanks in advance.
BeneG

Check out Clarke's Court in Grenada. They have a web site with info and costs. I have two friend who have left their boats there successfully.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 18:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Check out Clarke's Court in Grenada. They have a web site with info and costs. I have two friend who have left their boats there successfully.
Their website prices seem very reasonable. I will have to consider them next year!
danno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 03:26   #7

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno7 View Post
Their website prices seem very reasonable. I will have to consider them next year!
And their location puts them pout of the "hurricane zone" for many insurance companies. But be aware that you may need to reserve a spot as they often fill up because of their location and quality.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, on the hard, rib