Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 18:45   #16

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: Storing your extra sails while underway?

I've a 26 footer and also a solo sailor. Here's what I do. Get a pail and put ice in it. Add a 6 pack of beer onto the ice. Start flaking alone and really take your time. Leave the pail in a conspicuous spot near you. Help magically appears within 5 minutes on average.

Hope it works for you. People around me have learned to look for a pail if they see me working.

Fair winds [emoji569][emoji1]

Tim
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 18:46   #17

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Sound advice, seems like you are experienced in this field - How many times have you been married?
HAH ! lucky enough to find one woman to put up with me...not going to happen twice

no, our solution was to get a catamaran...lots more room for flaking sails.

cheers,
Old 17-04-2021, 08:05   #18

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

On my Pearson 30, I fold my hank on headsail while my wife is driving us through the channel back to the marina. I stretch it out on the side deck and then go forward starting my folds and I do walk back and forth a bit but usually by the time we are entering the marina I have the sail bagged and below. We have three headsails and I will say as she sails get bigger so does the challenges of doing this alone. Start with your smallest, get your own system down before going larger.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 08:26   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Freedom View Post
This is on a 30ft sailboat. Anyone figure out a trick to fold sails on deck?

How bad would it be to use a compression stuff sack the squish them down after being just hand stuffed in a bag? Would the tighter creases cause excessive wear n tear?
I really do prefer the pontoon even if its narrow rather than the deck because normally I am doing it on my own.

How many spare sails are you talking about btw and are they in good condition so that you would want to use them again. I tend to sell on old sails because if the truth be known, we are not going to use them again. If I get £50 - £100 and it helps someone else out then great.

If you take them home, hang them up less small furry friends find them.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 11:05   #20

As wing sail says. I would just add that I’ve found it helps to tension the sheet and keep the clew attached while you’re flaking. Not very taut, just enough to keep it under control until you can get sail ties on it.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 12:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
As wing sail says. I would just add that I’ve found it helps to tension the sheet and keep the tack attached while you’re flaking. Not very taut, just enough to keep it under control until you can get sail ties on it.

Another thought: we often set out with two sails flaked on the foredeck secured to the guardrails, one ready to hoist. Weather dependent, obviously. The dropped sail, after a change, would similarly be flaked and secured to be bagged later.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails