Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 09:07   #31

Re: Storm boards for windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Why not just make your windows as strong as the cabin sides? Remove the old windows and make new, larger ones bolted through the cabin sides. It seems it would be less work in the long run than making up lexan storm shutters with all the necessary mounting hardware. You should be able to find 1cm thick plexiglass (cast, not extruded) just about anywhere (sign shops, for example). You can through-bolt them. For extra strength, you can add a stainless steel or even wood trim inside to spread the loads. This way you don't have to worry about putting storm boards in before bad weather- they're always in place! Mounted with good quality butyl tape you have strong, leak-free windows that will last for years.
I think this, done well, is a good solution and will look good.. The plastic windows will last for many years if you treat them properly without becoming hazy or scratched. Just storing those extra windows in a narrow small boat, if you go with sliding them on, is bad enough, not to mention the teak weathering, possibly cracking from the groove unless you make it big etc. Get rid of those old rubber bedded window seals.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:37   #32

Boat: Westsail 32

I will consider it. The main issue is that the polycarbonate -- if I can even source it around here -- will need to be drilled and cut by someone else as I lack the appropriate tools on the boat. I don't carry a drill press or band saw with me in my travels. If I can get a reasonable quote for the material and labor, I'll pursue this option.

The other issue was that drilling 60-something holes through the boat just didn't jibe well with me.

Here's a Vega with these types of windows:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VegaWindowProject.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	159732  
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:41   #33

Yeah, those look good. But I question if one really needs that many holes/bolts. Many windows now days are bonded without bolts, the sealant/bond keeps them. (catamarans etc) But also, any water force is trying to push the window into the boat not off the boat. I would think 6" spacing etc is quite adequate. Less if you use a trim ring.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:19   #34

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Why use lexan? 1cm thick acrylic is plenty strong and more durable than lexan.

BTW, I think the bolted ports on the Vega in the photo look just fine...
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:37   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ryban,

You can cut both lexan and acrylic with a skil saw and use some cutting fluid, we've used just a few drops of kerosene at a time; you want to keep a steady hand. Epoxy the right size bolts through the side of the house. Use the lexan, for the strength of it for its weight. Use acorn nuts on the bolts, to reduce snagging, but it will look good, and be removable if need be. Use Loctite on the threads. You have no ventilation through that port light, so the lexan will be able to stay there. There are lots of plastic polishes you can use to keep it clear and nice.

Ann
Old 29-11-2017, 03:15   #36

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
LEXAN hazes and scratches far more easily than polycarbonate/acrlic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate
Lexan is PC...

used a circular saw with carbide tipped blade & an electric planer successfully on acrylic (smell of the solvent was terrible though!)
Old 29-11-2017, 05:49   #37

I appreciate the tips, but I don't have circular saw, or any other power saw, and even if I did, my inverter is only 300W. It's very feasible that I could hide behind a friend's boat on the hard here and do the work there, but I would still need to source the tools, and it would be sketchy.

Plus, I'd still need a drill press to properly drill the holes.

There are many, many times where I wish I had bought a boat while I still had a job and lived on land, and this is one of those times. These projects would be both easier and cheaper, and I'd still have the delivery magic of Amazon at my finger tips. Alas, that is not the reality I live in, and I must make do.
Old 29-11-2017, 07:07   #38

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
There are many, many times where I wish I had bought a boat while I still had a job and lived on land, and this is one of those times. These projects would be both easier and cheaper, and I'd still have the delivery magic of Amazon at my finger tips. Alas, that is not the reality I live in, and I must make do.
This is what I always recommend folks do especially those new to sailing and to their boats.

On top of what you spoke of, you can sail the boat on weekends and vacations testing all your new changes/additions.

Since you are still young, you have lots of options and are gaining experience ........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 07:15   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
This is what I always recommend folks do especially those new to sailing and to their boats.

On top of what you spoke of, you can sail the boat on weekends and vacations testing all your new changes/additions.

Since you are still young, you have lots of options and are gaining experience ........
I agree. The flip-side to this is that it would have been easy for me to get stuck on land and never untie the lines. There are always boat projects, and always things that could be made better, but at some point you just have to go!
Old 29-11-2017, 07:39   #40

Quote:
I agree. The flip-side to this is that it would have been easy for me to get stuck on land and never untie the lines. There are always boat projects, and always things that could be made better, but at some point you just have to go!
Yes, but some experience can go a long way when trouble strikes especially if you are sailing singlehanded

There's a whole thread on CF about too much encouragement for those that may not be ready.

The point can be argued forever as to who is ready and who isn't.
Old 29-11-2017, 07:49   #41

Boat: no boat any more

I think there are many more & much unhappier still-working-in-the-perfect-workshop-at-home will-be cruisers (that never get away) than happy "on-the-bollard-sawers" (as one sharp tongued swiss fellow cruiser put it when I was cobbling together a windvane gear on a bollard in Malaga harbor in 81...)
Old 29-11-2017, 08:00   #42

Ryban, I don't think you'll have much trouble finding a place to cut and drill lexan or acrylic (I prefer the latter personally, as it's cheaper and stands up to UV much better). Look for a sign shop or a place that does shower stalls and stuff like that. I still think you'll simplify everything by just putting on external 1cm thick acrylic windows, through bolted through the cabin sides and sealed with butyl. This way you don't need to worry about storm shutters- they're already in place.
By the way, is your "tarka" Nicholas Coghlan's former "Tarka the Otter"?
Old 29-11-2017, 08:02   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
I think there are many more & much unhappier still-working-in-the-perfect-workshop-at-home will-be cruisers (that never get away) than happy "on-the-bollard-sawers" (as one sharp tongued swiss fellow cruiser put it when I was cobbling together a windvane gear on a bollard in Malaga harbor in 81...)
That depends.

Some of us have done so many stupid things on boats as teenagers and young adults we know what can happen to those that aren't prepared or that don't weigh the risks of certain actions

As far as being unhappy on shore, that's just wrong. Many would not be able to handle the slow routine of a long offshore sail

Then there are those that just aren't that great at fixing or jury rigging stuff. Whereas others of us do it every day in one way or another at work or at home. (it just may not all be with boat related stuff but computers, visual systems, control loading, motion systems, electronics, I/O, instrumentation, engines, raised flooring, cabling, power distribution, UPS, obsolete replacement parts purchasing, etc)
Old 29-11-2017, 08:06   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Too true.

I'm going back and forth with a shop on the island right now. I traced the windows onto a big sheet of plastic the other day, and will have them use this as a template, oversizing them by a few inches or two to allow room for the bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
By the way, is your "tarka" Nicholas Coghlan's former "Tarka the Otter"?
Yes it is! I've actually paid a little homage to the old name and her history while I had her out of the water for new paint -- see below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-11-15-09h40m36s44.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	377.3 KB
ID:	159912  
Old 29-11-2017, 08:08   #45

Quote:
Too true.

I'm going back and forth with a shop on the island right now. I traced the windows onto a big sheet of plastic the other day, and will have them use this as a template, oversizing them by a few inches or two to allow room for the bolts.

Yes it is! I've actually paid a little homage to the old name and her history while I had her out of the water for new paint -- see below.
That's great! A boat with quite a story!

Tags
wind