Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:13   #1

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Stowable Helm Seat

Would like to have a simple, light helm seat that could be folded up and stowed in a locker, something like one of those folding beach chairs. It wouldn't even have to have a back. Has anyone seen a contraption that spans the cockpit from port to starboard cockpit locker/seat? I don't want to have a lot of hardware but would like to be able to sit centered at the wheel, at a good height to see over the dodger, and of course, under the boom swing. I have been using a small folding ladder which actually works pretty well but it looks "Beverely Hillbillish" and takes up too much room. Was going to make something but some company must make a folding aluminum chair like this.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:24   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: Stowable Helm Seat?

I use floatable throwing cushions. Three of them.
very comfy and if necessary ready at hand to be throw out if the Admiral fell overboard
Easy to put in the locker also
Old 06-05-2011, 06:25   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Have you seen the bean bag thread?

We have a caravan step that sits on the back seat to get the height to see over the wheel. The step then needs a cushion because I don't have much rear padding. It, like your setup is a bit of a lash up.

We have a huge shocking pink bean bag in the garage which up until now I have refused to take down to the boat. However, might reconsider following the members recommendation that they are the best thing since sliced bread. Shame about the colour, it was bought for a little princess who must have kissed a frog as she turned into a stroppy 15 yr old with an attitude

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:32   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Yessss!! and I learned something: never heard of a bean bag seat before!! saw the picture etc..
but I don't see that very practical as an helm seat.. :-)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:21   #5

The problem with the Alberg is that there is no usable ledge area behind the pedestal to sit on. The traveler sits 6" in from the rear cockpit edge and it's too far back from the pedestal to sit on anyway. I do use throwing cushions on one side or the other as Alecadi has suggested but there's nowhere to stack any up behind the wheel. The side seats are also too low to see forward and I wind up sitting atop a sheetrock bucket with throwing cushions on top. There is really a minimal window of visibility on this boat and I have, on occasion missed seeing things so this is kind of an important problem to solve.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:23   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Scroll down on the link provided and check out the "saddle helm cushion." It's what I use. You can get it with a back rest.

BottomSiders accessories for your boat
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55   #7

Thanks Bash. Those look like nice cushions and would work if there was something to put them on top of. What I need is something to span the open area of the well from port to starboard to support some kind of cushion. Am thinking maybe some sort of light, quickly removable arched "bridge" to span across from hinged hatch/seat to hinged hatch/seat.