Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2024, 10:05   #1

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft
Stubborn halyard

This may be an odd request ,but here goes- I have rigged a new 14mm Dyneema halyard thro' a curved mast. At some point , midway up and inside the mast , the line is tight to pull . It will run ,but seems to need "lubrication "!!. Has anyone used a lubricant upon the halyard , that may add 'slippage ' ?
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 11:21   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Stubborn halyard

Hi Bob,

Since Dyneema is about as slippery as it gets, [assuming it isn’t a double-braid line with a Dyneema core with outer jacket…] I would be concerned the Dyneema might be snagging on something inside the mast…. I would consider pulling the halyard to check for chaffing…

If it is double-braid with Dyneema core, then maybe you could try treating the jacket with one of the slippery anti-chafe rope treatments like Yale Maxijacket or the like?

Best wishes resolving the issue. Let us know what you discover.

Cheers, Bill
Old 28-05-2024, 11:33   #3

Thank you ,Bill , for the tip . I should have mentioned that the Dyneema is a core but it is sheathed .
Old 28-05-2024, 11:49   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Bob, Thanks for the clarification.

Understanding we are dealing with [polyester?] sheathing, I have another thought: we use Nikwax Rope Proof treatment [just soak the lines in a diluted solution] every couple of years on running rigging [and dock lines] to keep them from freezing for our winter adventures. I have noticed the running rigging handles better [smoother? Subjective…] after such treatment.

I wonder if that might help in your case?

Here is a Practical Sailor work-up on the topic:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...age-treatments

In case it is available to you, and useful.

Cheers, Bill
Old 28-05-2024, 12:17   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Are there rivets or screws in the mast? Does it seem to be hanging up around the spreaders?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 12:45   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I'm sure there is all sorts of stuff running inside the mast....other halyards...maybe twisted up...
Electrical wiring...in a conduit or not..
Various and sundry spreader bolts, screws, etc
And then there is the mast itself...curved...obviously means a hard spot somewhere..

Any of the above could be a cause..not sure where I'd begin to look if it were me....not sure that the new halyard itself is the problem...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 12:50   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You say the boat is a Eurocat 71....I tried googling that name, but came up short....
Nonetheless, I'd be trying to research how the mast, rigging, etc is put together. which may provide an answer....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 13:39   #8

Mic Hugh & Don,
The vessel is a Roberts International 'Eurocat 2000 '. Now 12 y.o. aluminium ,rigged by AllYacht Brisbane Australia. There are numerous 'traps ' , for the halyard but it was recently re-rigged by AllYacht and they seemed to be able to view inside the mast by a device top and bottom and were happy with the rope drop. I am leaning towards friction as the new halyard is in fact, one that I put in reserve many years ago . The outer braiding is stiff but the Dyneema is ,naturally , flexible as new.I will try Bill's suggestion of softening / lubricating the poly outer. Your comments are much appreciated. Cheers, Bob

Tags
halyard