Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2006, 20:29   #31

Why thank you Kai!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 21:41   #32

Thumbs up Richland, WA?!

Hi - I don't usually say much, as I don't (currently) have a boat, but saw that someone was from RICHLAND, WA?

I grew up there, after having my "formative" years in the SF Bay area, parents owning a sailboat and sailing out of the Mare Island Yacht Club. That having been said, I was in Richland last summer for my 20th HS reunion (Hanford, class of '85) and was MOST suprised to find a MARINA where we used to have bon-fires and kegs in HS!

In all my years there, I had never seen a sailboat on the Columbia, but have seen many inboard speed boats become instant "out-boards" as the water level in the river fluctuated. My home was spittin' distance from the river, so I spent most of my time either swimming, fishing, or just admiring its' grandeur. Nothing made me laugh harder than watching the knuckle-heads with their twin 150's barrelling along at 30+knts and watching them just catapult off the the stern as the boat grinds to a halt and they get out into water that is ankle deep. I only say that because my friends and I swam out there all summer long, and have had many close calls from the idiots in their monster boats.

I currently live in Northern Virginia, and sail occasionally with my neighbor on his MacGregor 26X.

Anyway, I'm glad to see someone else escaped from the Tri-Cities!
sbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 23:41   #33

Hey sbuff

We're the same age!! I partied to many a kegger parties back in the 80's!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 16-02-2006, 07:03   #34

Same age?

Kewl beans!

And from reading some of your other posts, you were in the Navy? I was in the Marines from 87-91, so we pbly crossed paths at some point - most likely in the Philippines during the build up to Desert Storm.
sbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 16:07   #35

Nope!!

Afraid not. I was stationed on the east coast. I was doing Med cruises pretty much throughout my 9 year NAVY career!!

Old 16-02-2006, 16:08   #36

Nope!!

Afraid not. I was stationed on the east coast. I was doing Med cruises pretty much throughout my 9 year NAVY career!!

I was in the NAVY from 1987 to 1996.

Old 16-02-2006, 16:56   #37

Quote:
The simple fact of the matter is that a studio apartment with all the amenities of land living will be vastly more luxurious in the end than even a 56' Oyster.
That's a pearl, that is.
Old 16-02-2006, 18:13   #38
Kai Nui

K, your are repeating, repeating, repeating
I would disagree with the accomodations being less than an apartment. The efficient use of space, and the great layout of several of the boats we have had has been far more luxuious than the last two houses we owned. While I admit, I am not going to do jumping jacks in the main saloon, I can stretch out and watch the satellite TV, or listen to the stereo. Our galley has plenty of room for my wife to prepare a meal for 20. (it's been done), and about the only thing truly lacking in the galley is a large refridgerater. The seven feet of galley counter is quite adaquate for preparing huge meals. I do see the point, and I am sure many would agree with you, including my wife, but I am far more comfortable with the required order aboard a boat.
Old 16-02-2006, 21:03   #39

You know Kai.

I honestly don't know how I made that last post of mine repeat like that?

But, first time for everything?

Old 16-02-2006, 22:41   #40
Kai Nui

Gottcha
Old 16-02-2006, 22:53   #41