Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 00:47   #16

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: Suggestions for books and videos

OK... you asked. Read Desperate Voyage by John Caldwell. This book must be 60 yrs old but easy to buy. I've had 4 over my life. If you lend it to someone you might not get it back. Just finished reading for the 6th time.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Hi , try Heavy weather Sailing K.Coles
Scared me but a good read and some expert advice
The Voyagers Handbook by Beth Leonard great book to get ready to set off crusing
I also was a Utube adiccti and then suddnely gave up and have never wathced one again , been a year since my last look
It is ok iif you like watching people but not really sailing
I like Patrick Laine on Utube so give him a try he dosnt ask for money
I just ordered several of the books recommended:
-Heavy weather sailing
-Desprate voyage
-Annapolis book of seamanship
- marine diesel engines by nigel
- nigel's cruising handbook
- seamanship secrets
- sailing to the edge by john kretschmer

I've started watching a few of Patrick laines videos when he's in iceland and so far they are excellent. I really like any north Atlantic solo videos.

Thanks again.[emoji4]
Skywalker204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:04   #18

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Before the Nigel Calder, Beth Leonard, and Don Casey books (all must-reads!) look at this.

Buy, Outfit, Sail: How To Inexpensively and Safely Buy, Outfit, and Sail a Small Vessel Around the World https://www.amazon.com/dp/1456310038/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8qU1CbRR87H0K
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 15:45   #19

"Cruising in Serafyn" or anything else by Lynn and Larry Pardy.

"It's Your Boat Too" by Suzanne Giesemann.

The Master and Commander series (20 engrossing novels) by Patrick O'Brien.

"Heavy Weather Sailing" by Peter Bruce.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 23:11   #20

Boat: Boatless

I’ll hop back in on this thread.

Mutiny on the Bounty by Nordoff and Hall.

After the a bit Tom Neale and Frisbee.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
I’ll hop back in on this thread.

Mutiny on the Bounty by Nordoff and Hall.

After the a bit Tom Neale and Frisbee.
Would you recomend the whole trilogy of the bounty?
Skywalker204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:49   #22

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I

Also two of my all-time favorites (and related):
Sensible Cruising: A Thoreau Approach by Casey and Hackler
Walden by Henry David Thoreau
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 12:38   #23

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33

I have been collecting sailing books(mostly actual recounts or contemporaneous accounts of voyages at the end of the days of commercial sail) and of historic and heroic individual sailing voyages that I have collected over 30 years. The library numbers in the low hundreds of books .
Next summer I’m selling all to live aboard my Hunter Cherubini in Puerto Rico. My thought is to donate my collection to Mystic Seaport ( I live in Connecticut).

If anyone is interested in the collection, let me know and I’ll send you the inventory.
Leviathan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 14:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
OK... you asked. Read Desperate Voyage by John Caldwell. This book must be 60 yrs old but easy to buy. I've had 4 over my life. If you lend it to someone you might not get it back. Just finished reading for the 6th time.
Thanks for the recommendation couldn't put it down, read it on my kindle, frequently late for work.!!
ptards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 06:31   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

A Depression-era guidebook to making your own products. This fascinating book takes the reader back to a time when Americans were considered responsible enough to be given recipes for poisons, explosives, and highly addictive substances.

“Two Thousand Formulas, Recipes and Trade Secrets: The Classic "Do-It-Yourself" Book of Practical Everyday Chemistry” ~ by Harry Bennett
https://www.amazon.ca/Thousand-Formu.../dp/0922915954

See also:
“Henley's Twentieth Century Formulas, Recipes and Processes” ~ by Gardner Dexter Hiscox
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53143

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 11:36   #26

Boat: Hanse 531

I think this one is pretty good!

Stress-free Sailing: Single and Short-handed Techniques, Duncan Wells

https://www.amazon.com/Stress-free-S...gateway&sr=8-1
Old 18-04-2020, 13:35   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

********: A Theory" ~ by Aaron James
According to author, Aaron James, an ******* "allows himself to enjoy special advantages in social relations out of an entrenched sense of entitlement that immunizes him against the complaints of other people." James spends 214, quite convincing pages, arguing that “assholeness” is less inattention, than a permanent state of mind. Seekers of philosophical meaning will find much to ponder with James.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13517138-********

I enjoyed watching the documentary, of the same title, this afternoon.
https://www.assholesatheory.com/

UPCOMING SCREENINGS
Date: TONIGHT, April 18, 2020
Time: 9:00 pm ET/PT

Old 28-04-2020, 06:29   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"The Art of Thinking Clearly: Better Thinking, Better Decisions” ~ by Rolf Dobelli
In The Art of Thinking Clearly, author Rolf Dobelli dives deep into many common psychological biases. With specific examples of these thought patterns, and ways to overcome them, this book is both entertaining and informative. No matter how smart you think you are, this will shed light on some of the weak points in your thinking and make you wiser.
A fantastic book, summarizing a variety of biases, that affect our thinking and decision-making.
Biases
Survivorship bias: we tend to only hear about the successes or “survivors” - we don’t hear the stories of the failures, and thus overestimate the chances of success.

Swimmer’s body illusion: confusing the factor for selection with the result (ex: swimming gives you a great frame; actually, great swimmers are born with a good frame for swimming).

Clustering illusion: we tend to see patterns where there aren’t any.

Social proof: we feel we are behaving correctly when we act the same as other people.

Sunk cost fallacy: when we consider the costs incurred to date as a factor in our decision-making. Only your assessment of the future costs and benefits should count.

Reciprocity: we feel we owe something in return whenever we accept a favour or free item.

Confirmation bias: we interpret evidence to support our existing beliefs.

To counter, set out to find disconfirming evidence for your hypothesis.

Authority bias: we tend to defer to authority, and consider the opinions of supposedly authoritative people too strongly.

Contrast effect: we judge things in relation to other things. We also don’t notice small, gradual changes.

Availability bias: we create a picture of the world, or construct arguments, based on examples and evidence that most easily come to mind.

Counter by spending time with people who think differently than you do.

It’ll-get-worse-before-it-gets-better fallacy: a variation of confirmation bias. If the problem persists, the prediction is confirmed. If it improves, the expert can attribute it to his prowess.

Story bias: we try and shape everything into stories.

Hindsight bias: in retrospect, everything seems clear and inevitable.

Overconfidence effect: we systematically overestimate our knowledge and our ability to predict.

Chauffeur knowledge: the knowledge required to make it appear as though someone understands something, when in fact they do not.

Illusion of control: we believe we influence far more than we actually do.

Incentive super-response tendency: people respond to incentives by doing what is in their best interests.

Regression to the mean: average values will fluctuate around a mean. Decreased or increased performance may simply be these random fluctuations, not due to an identifiable cause.

Outcome bias: we tend to evaluate decisions based on the result, instead of the process.

Paradox of choice: an abundance of choice leads to inner paralysis, poorer decisions, and unhappiness with our decisions.

Liking bias: the more we like someone, the more we want to buy from or help that person.

Endowment effect: we consider things to be more valuable the moment we own them.

Coincidence: we tend to see unlikely events as causal, when in reality they are likely random.

Groupthink: in groups, we tend to avoid contradiction, and we tend to agree with the majority conclusion.

Neglect of probability: we lack an intuitive grasp of probability, and instead tend to respond to the expected magnitude of an event, instead of its likelihood.

Scarcity error: when we are deprived of an option, we suddenly deem it more attractive.

Base-rate neglect: we disregard the basic distribution levels for a given outcome.

Often exacerbated by giving more detail (narrative fallacy contributes).

Also made worse by survivorship bias.

Gambler’s fallacy: we tend to mix up events that are independent and dependent (ie. this ball has landed on black 10 times, it must be red soon).

“What goes around comes around” is just false.

Anchors: when we guess something, we start from something we are sure of, and go from there.

Induction: the inclination to draw universal certainties from individual (typically past) observations.

The turkey problem - he lives a great life until Thanksgiving.

Loss aversion: the fear of losing something motivates people more than the prospect of gaining something of equal value.

Social loafing: when people work together (and individual performance is not directly visible), their individual performance decreases.

Exponential growth: we do not have a good intuitive feel for exponential growth (vs. Linear growth).

Winner’s curse: the winner of an auction often turns out to be the loser.

Fundamental attribution error: the tendency to overestimate the influence of an individual, and underestimate external, situational factors.

False causality: when we mix up correlation with causation.

Halo effect: when a single aspect dazzles us, and we fail to see the larger picture or evaluate other factors objectively.

Alternative paths: we fail to consider all the outcomes which could have happened, and therefore underestimate risk.

Forecast illusion: we tend to believe forecasts, despite the poor predictability and low downside for being wrong.

Conjunction fallacy: when a subset seems larger than the entire set.

A result of our attraction to plausible stories.

Framing: we react differently to identical situations, depending on how they are presented.

Action bias: we feel compelled to do something, particularly in new or shaky circumstances, even if we have made things worse by acting too quickly or too often.

Omission bias: we tend to prefer inaction whenever both action and inaction lead to cruel consequences.

Self-serving bias: we attribute success to ourselves and failure to external circumstances.

Hedonic treadmill: we adjust to new circumstances, and are unable to correctly predict our own emotions in response to new circumstances.

Self-selection bias: we change the outcome of something by poorly selecting our sample.

Association bias: we make false connections between things that are not linked.

Example: we condemn the bearers of bad news, due to the negative nature of the message.

Beginner’s luck: we create a false link with early, past results.

Cognitive dissonance: when inconsistencies in our thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes cause us to reinterpret events to keep things consistent.

Hyperbolic discounting: the introduction of “now”, causing us to make inconsistent decisions.

“Because” justification: introduction of a reason (any reason) increases our compliance.

Decision fatigue: willpower erodes throughout the day, particularly when we haven’t eaten or slept.

Contagion bias: we are incapable of ignoring the connection we feel to certain items, even if from long ago or of indirect relation.

Problems with averages: averages often mask the underlying distribution.

Never cross a river that is “on average” four feet deep.

The Bill Gates phenomenon.

Motivation crowding: small monetary incentives may crowd out other types of incentives.

Twaddle tendency: reams of words used to disguise intellectual laziness, stupidity, misunderstanding or underdeveloped ideas. Often used in conjunction with authority bias.

Will Rogers phenomenon: the effect of changing the average in two groups (positively) by moving something from one category to another.

Example: if you move the lowest net worth individual from a higher group to a lower group, the average net worth of both groups increases.

Information bias: the delusion that more information guarantees better decisions.

Effort justification: if you put a lot of effort into a task, you tend to overvalue the result.

Law of small numbers: when we assume characteristics of the overall population can be assumed from a small sample, when in fact small samples are much more subject to random variation.

Expectations: expectations form our reaction to various events, and contribute to our happiness. Set expectations high for yourself and the people you love, and lower them for things you cannot control.

Simple logic: we tend to default to intuition because it is less taxing.

Forer effect (aka Barnum effect): we tend to identify with positive traits in general descriptions, believing pseudosciences as a result.

Volunteer’s folly: volunteering our time is less efficient (because we do these jobs less effectively) than contributing our earnings for the equivalent amount of time. Exception: celebrities.

Affect heuristic: when we make complex decisions by consulting our emotions, instead of considering the risks and benefits independently.

Introspection illusion: the belief that reflection leads to truth or accuracy.

Inability to close doors: we tend to prefer leaving options open, thinking they are free, when in reality they have a cost in distracting us.

Neomania: when we prioritize things that are new and novel over their actual benefits.

Sleeper effect: if propaganda/advertising strikes a chord with someone, the influence will only increase over time.

Alternative blindness: we systematically forget to compare an existing offer with the next-best alternative.

Social comparison bias: we tend to withhold assistance for people who might outdo us, even if you look like the fool in the long run.

Primacy and recency effects: the first trait, or more recent information, hold larger sway over us.

Not-invented-here syndrome: when we think anything we create ourselves is unbeatable.

The Black Swan: an unthinkable event that massively affects your life, career, company, country.

Domain dependence: insights from one field do not pass well to another.

False-consensus effect: we overestimate the unanimity of others, believing they think and feel exactly like we do.

Falsification of history: our memories are riddled with inaccuracy.

In-group out-group bias: groups form based on minor criteria. You perceive people outside your group to be more similar than they actually are (stereotypes start here). Group members lead to disproportionate perceived support within the group.

Ambiguity aversion: we favour known probabilities over unknown ones.

Default effect: we prefer the status quo.

Fear of regret: when we fail to act to avoid potentially feeling regret.

Salience effect: outstanding features has an undue influence on how we think and act. We neglect hidden, slow-to-develop factors.

House-money effect: we treat money that we win, discover, or inherit much more frivolously than hard-earned cash.

Procrastination: the tendency to delay unpleasant but important acts.

Envy: when we compare ourselves on the basis of ownership, status, health, youth, talent, popularity or beauty. The subject of envy is a thing, where as the subject of jealousy is the behaviour of a third person.

Personification: we empathize with other people when the human aspect is visible.

Illusion of attention: we are confident that we notice everything in front of us, despite only seeing what we are focused on.

Strategic misrepresentation: the more at stake, the more exaggerated your assertions become.

Overthinking: if you think too much, you will lose the wisdom of your emotional response.

Planning fallacy: we overestimate benefits, and underestimate the risks, costs and duration of a project.

Déformation professionnelle: experts will tend to solve problems using their expertise, not necessarily the best method.

“To the man with a hammer, every problem is a nail."

Zeigarnik effect: we forget uncompleted tasks unless we have a clear idea of how to deal with them.

Illusion of skill: luck plays a larger role than skill in many domains, like entrepreneurship and leadership. Skill is necessary but not sufficient.

Feature-positive effect: we place a greater emphasis on what is present than what is absent.

Cherry picking: selecting and showcasing the most attractive features and hiding the rest.

Fallacy of the single cause: the belief that a single factor caused an event or phenomenon.

Intention-to-treat error: when failed projects or statistics show up in the wrong category.

News illusion: we believe news is important, when in reality it is not, and is specifically designed to attract us, despite this.

Noteshttps://grahammann.net/book-notes/th...y-rolf-dobelli
Buy https://www.bookdepository.com/Art-T.../9781444759563

Old 08-05-2020, 06:45   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Land-locked for now, we've about exhausted Netflix's choices. I've found a couple of YouTube cruisers video series which aren't bad. (Some are!) At least they remind us of sailing. Check out Sailing Fair Isle, and also SY Talisman, both on YouTube.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 14:13   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Free Videos
For all landlocked sailors, pop over to this webpage with links to fifty or sixty sailing/cruising videos mostly featuring Australia, Coral Sea, the Southern Ocean from a couple who have cruised since 1974.

Free Amazon Kindle eBooks
*THIS WEEKEND TWO DAYS ONLY*

It’s on again! Free download of Sailors on Safari. Two Days Only.
From Midnight Saturday 30 May through Midnight Sunday31 June Pacific tine.

Note: The complete trilogy is now available for download:
Sailors on Safari + Danger Awaits the Unwary + Moai Magic Home.
On Amazon – Look inside and/or download a sample

Tags
books