Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 14:01   #1

Boat: 2005 Beneteau 331
Sunbrella vs Dacron

I just placed an order for new furling 150 Genoa. wooohooooo

However, I'm still stuck on deciding whether i should go with Sunbrella or UV protected Dacron for the leech and food.

Based on what i've red on google sunbrella is more thant twice as heavy and will impact sail shape in lighter air. But not sure if size of the boat plays a factor as well???

Anyways.. I'm talking about my Catalina 25. I sail on lake Ontario where I think average winds through the summer are 8-12 kts.. but often drops to around 5 and I go out up to 25kt.

What would you recommend taking into consideration size of the boat and sailing conditions on Lake Ontario.

Thanks a million in advance!
szymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 14:25   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Sunbrella vs Dacron

I spent $$$ replacing the Dacron cover on my genoa, as it had fallen to ribbons. Nearly a boat-buck, from what I remember.

Sunbrella is a much better material, unless you are a dedicated racer and won't have the jib long.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:31   #3

I'm not a dedicated racer. But i do like to try to squeeze out what I can.

Many times I've been stuck where wind dropped to 5kt or under. So will having sunbrella will make a huge negative difference??

I mean is the difference in the lighters winds that noticeable with the sunbrella on the leech and foot?
Old 06-02-2012, 09:49   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymek View Post

Many times I've been stuck where wind dropped to 5kt or under. So will having sunbrella will make a huge negative difference??

I mean is the difference in the lighters winds that noticeable with the sunbrella on the leech and foot?
No. The only noticeable difference is that sunbrella will last 10 years and dacron will last 2. See if you can get them to sew the cover on with tenara thread, otherwise you will be restitching every 3 years.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:50   #5

Boat: Tartan 37

By no means am I an expert in sailing .... that is my husband's role in our relationship

However, I sailed Hobie Cats in my younger days and that was all about speed .... and I would have chosen Dacron.

Now, we sail a Tartan 37 and if our goal was to protect our sails -- which it is, we would choose Sunbrella -- and we did.

Sunbrella is by far the better product.

B-O-A-T, We all know about that one

Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:16   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
However, I sailed Hobie Cats in my younger days and that was all about speed .... and I would have chosen Dacron.

Now, we sail a Tartan 37 and if our goal was to protect our sails -- which it is, we would choose Sunbrella -- and we did.
Well said. I had a Prindle beach cat (fast) followed by a Stiletto (faster). My current cat is not very fast, even if they do call it a PDQ. Well, it's not slow either.

And when I went from Dacron to Sunbrella I saw no measurable difference. But I felt better at night.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:31   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymek View Post

No. The only noticeable difference is that sunbrella will last 10 years and dacron will last 2. See if you can get them to sew the cover on with tenara thread, otherwise you will be restitching every 3 years.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:40   #8

Excellent! thank you for all the feedback!

Does the same hold even for smaller boats? I'm only on 25' catalina. :-) I'm asking as one fellow that I talked to at the show (which was recommending UV protected dacron) said that putting sunbrella on a small sail such as on 25' boat will be significantly noticeable in lighter airs.

But I am leaning towards the sunbrella - will also match other covers. I'm keeping this boat for few more good years... and when it's time to upgrade I want her to be in perfect condition.
Old 06-02-2012, 18:41   #9

Boat: Samson 39 Encore

I also have a Catalina 25 and bought a rip stop nylon drifter or reacher several years ago. It's really a great sail for winds 10 and under. It will move the boat in 2 knot winds. I don't want to sound discouraging on the 150 but I found mine didn't move the boat much better than the working jib. I leave it at home now. I think I paid about $800 US for the drifter and it was one of the best investments I've made on the Catalina. Ellis
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 18:33   #10

Hi Folks,

Thank you for all the comments! i've been giving it a lot of thought and based on the fact I don't intend to race this boat and I want to ensure that the sail is well protected, I will go with the sunbrella.

I need to get in touch with the sail maker tomorrow so sunbrella it is i guess.

But wow... that has been a tough decision. :-)