Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sunbrella vs Odyssey for sacrificial strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Another quick update if anyone is considering Sunbrella for their sacrificial strip. Our sails have a heavy laminate construction, so the Sunbrella is not heavy in proportion to what we have.

Replacement of the strip has gone extremely well, it is just a very labour intensive job.

I have been acting as "apprentice" to a cruiser anchored a few nm away and I have learned a huge amount in the process, including troubleshooting problems while using the Sailrite. I will not find it daunting now to do any repairs we may need in the future (a great skill to have I think).

I have attached a photo taken today of the luff of the completed Yankee. To give you some idea of scale, that is me way at the very end looking tiny in proportion to the length:

PS Oops, meant leech not luff, hope it was sewn on the right end LOL!
Shoot... that looks enormous... and I thought I had it bad hand sewing the luff on the 100% Yankee on Ellie Bo in the salon betweeen Panama and Nuku Hiva... well done..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53   #17

Re: Sunbrella vs Odyssey for sacrificial strip

See if Marine Fabricator magazine has anything

Home - Marine Fabricator
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:07   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Shoot... that looks enormous... and I thought I had it bad hand sewing the luff on the 100% Yankee on Ellie Bo in the salon betweeen Panama and Nuku Hiva... well done..
It was a MASSIVE job. I unpicked the old strips (took 2 days) and cut out 40+ metres of the new Sunbrella strips with a hot knife. The actual sewing was done by Andy (CF member NornaBiron) who is anchored in the bay a couple of nm from us and I acted as his apprentice for 6 days. It is a 2 person job as the sails need to be manoevered through the machine - the material does not bunch up or slide along, it just stops short! Darts and splits on the strips for both the foot and leech of each sail were were needed.

I came back on board absolutely buggered exhausted every evening.

It will be very satisfying seeing the sails up though and I learned a huge amount in the process. I would tackle just about any repair we needed now.

Andy was brilliant - patient and meticulous and a joy to work with. If anyone needs any mobile sail repairs I would highly recommend him .

This is Andy having a tea break:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	54154  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
SNIP
And yes, your sail will perform better with lighter cloth. Speaking of lightness, there is also a UV stickyback product, similar to the stickyback for sail insignia, that you can use for sacrificial strip. It's usually used for small boats and is only good for 5-7 years compared to 10 for Sunbrella.
Anyone know more about a stickyback sacrificial strip. I am a complete newbie to sail repair. Does it require sewing or is it just glued on. I have an old jib and the sacrificial strip is in bad shape. Since the jib will probably only last two or three years (maybe a little longer) I would be interested in a sacrificial strip that would last five years.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:34   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Anyone know more about a stickyback sacrificial strip. I am a complete newbie to sail repair. Does it require sewing or is it just glued on. I have an old jib and the sacrificial strip is in bad shape. Since the jib will probably only last two or three years (maybe a little longer) I would be interested in a sacrificial strip that would last five years.
I have no experience with stickyback strip, but whatever fabric you choose otherwise, you stick it on with sailmakers' double sided tape (initially on the reverse side for the hem, then you flip and tape the main body of it. The procedure used on the old strip acts as a guide. You then sew with a zigzag stitch to secure.

If you don't need a heavy duty strip like Sunbrella, Odyssey works very well and is much easier to handle.

Beware of using just any kind of double sided tape - it can leave awful brown marks that seep through the sail fabric itself!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:55   #21

There is a stickyback UV. It's white. It's effectively insignia cloth. It does stick, but like insignia material, it's a good idea to stitch it anyway. It does last about five years or so.

Insignia Cloth
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile, sacrificial strip, Sail repair