Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 22:55   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 41s5
Support props.

This sounds pretty risky. But has anyone successfully beached their keeled yatch for a clean, using props to keep her upright?
Mine is a First 41s5 with a winged keel which might make things easier, but I'm still not game to try.
Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 23:45   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Support props.

Beaching a wing keel is super high risk. Whereas a shortish fin keel is usually ok for the sideways forces, the wing is nothing like as strong. Have you thought about finding a wall with a flat sandy bottom to dry out on? You’d still want to be careful, ensure you sight the bottom at low tide, stay with the boat, adjust lines continually, do it with no swell and little wind.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 01:36   #3

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

To clean? As in barnacles etc? Why would you want to dry it out for that if you don't have to? I just hand scraped the entirety of my 53 footer with a snorkel the other week. Great exercise, took a few hours each day over a weekend.... I suppose if you're in cold water...? I'd still put on a wetsuit and hop in tho
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 02:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Beaching a wing keel is super high risk. Whereas a shortish fin keel is usually ok for the sideways forces, the wing is nothing like as strong. Have you thought about finding a wall with a flat sandy bottom to dry out on? You’d still want to be careful, ensure you sight the bottom at low tide, stay with the boat, adjust lines continually, do it with no swell and little wind.
Yeah, thanks for your advice. I'll travel to some warmer waters and dive on it.
Old 23-08-2018, 02:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
To clean? As in barnacles etc? Why would you want to dry it out for that if you don't have to? I just hand scraped the entirety of my 53 footer with a snorkel the other week. Great exercise, took a few hours each day over a weekend.... I suppose if you're in cold water...? I'd still put on a wetsuit and hop in tho
Thanks for the advice. 12v air compressor dive snorkel is my plan B.
Old 23-08-2018, 04:17   #6

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
Thanks for the advice. 12v air compressor dive snorkel is my plan B.
Sure thing, but I'm tellin ya, you don't need the compressor.... Although I'm trying to quit, I still burn a solid pack of cigarettes a day, ie I'm no breath holding champ Start from the front (so the crap flows on the current downstream away from you), get a metal or plastic paint scraper 4 inches wide or so, and just go from the waterline to the lowest part, it takes a few seconds. Come back up, have a breath, move over 4 inches, and do the next one Just be gentle...I've got coppercoat so it doesnt mind a bit of roughness, but if you don't maybe use a plastic scraper.

My boat is 53 feet long with a 6'7 draft. Seems big, but the math says: 53 feet = 636 inches. Divided by a 4" scraper path down the side = 159. Times 2 for both sides. That's just over 300 scrapes for the bulk of it, then keel and propeller, rudder, etc. If you do only 1 scrape a minute (it takes 10 seconds), it's only 5 hours work. Much easier and quicker than drying out... What was my point... oh yeah, give it a go without compressor, you don't need to hold your breath but for 10 seconds at a time.

Here's a vid of my wife hitting the keel the other week:

https://www.facebook.com/anendlesswa...qnACt8&__xts__[0]=68.ARAq7IywYGgPn_Rvwwds3MOIku_qm4gwTW4dHhnoLi_Zwi q0PAYilGAPe8Qwyu0GQWl6-9Wu_56nPkXkKUwYMHNque-a11v3Qp2Gpk5al8FGN8NOsmh2E1L5zeYamU_RK9CWiWQ&__tn_ _=kC-R
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 05:18   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have a Brownie we can run on deck for cleaning and anchor inspection. Not many places that make careening easy.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 05:32   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

I'll second a hookah, I see o even as a must have. You often find them on eBay or Gumtree at reasonable prices.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 09:15   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Too easy to roll your own for a fraction of the cost, just use a hose meant for breathing air, not for garage air tools.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 09:17   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Too easy to roll your own for a fraction of the cost, just use a hose meant for breathing air, not for garage air tools.
I agree , i did this for my last boat, i remember very well some here explaining to me how i was going to die...lol.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote