Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2020, 08:30   #1

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II
Surveyor recommendations in Annapolis MD

I'm on the left coast of the US and interested on the boat on the right coast. That seems to be how it often goes.

The boat is an oyster 55 and since I don't know anyone in Annapolis (yet ), I was hoping the some locale forum members could make a recommendation on a good and experienced surveyor.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:12   #2

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat
Re: Surveyor recommendations in Annapolis MD

I would HIGHLY recommend Tarn Kelsey. https://kelseymarinesurvey.com

He did an out of water survey with us for insurance purposes once, and spent a lot of time on the boat... very thorough. Then later when we were selling the boat, he was hired independently by the buyers, and he did another terrific job-- for them. While I would have liked him to value our boat a little higher at the time (you know, there's always that emotional investment when selling your "baby"), we felt he did right by the buyers. And, I would hire him again in a heartbeat if I was buying a boat in Annapolis or the surrounding area.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend Steve Uthoff. It's just that last time I was in Annapolis, Steve wasn't doing surveys... but only because he is a gelcoat MASTER and just had a lot of work going on in that part of his business at the time. But that was a couple of years ago, so things could be different now. Definitely knows his stuff, and worth asking as well. We spent several years in the boatyard restoring our boat before we went sailing, and got to know Steve as a result. He's an "institution" in the Annapolis/Baltimore area... and in a good way.

One more thing: I will private message you with someone I would NOT recommend. Personal experience that I would like to share, but you can use it as a data point if relevant to other responses you receive... I just don't feel the need to "fling poo" across the entire forum. (I am a retired naval officer, so I "grew up" learning to praise in public and reprimand in private.)

Hope it helps, and good luck with the Oyster!

Cheers,
Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:54   #3

OP--

Thank-you!! That is one of the names I got from the seller's broker.
Old 08-02-2020, 14:55   #4

Boat: Passport 40

Tarn is definitively a good option, I used him once. You can look also at Mike Previti (Previti Marine Consultants & Surveyors). He is very very good. He will also go aloft, as well as do stuff like run the engine through the proper routine (not just check whether it operates). He is thorough, really thorough. A 55 with lots of systems might need two days of survey. Make sure you get a surveyor that will test everything. Four years after purchasing my beautiful Thalia, I still go back to Mike's report to find information I could need for paperwork, for fixing stuff, for checking how something is connected in the deep entrails of the boat.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 16:05   #5

Gaucho--

Thank-you! ... and I like thorough, unlike my last surveyor in WA. (sigh)

Tags
annapolis, men, survey, surveyor