Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2021, 06:50   #1

Surveyors

Hello,

We are about to buy our first boat. We were told it is now available again and the broker wants us there yesterday. Does anyone know of a Hull and a Diesel engine surveyor available in the Harwich Port Massachusetts area? Any other help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul
Tyke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 06:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Surveyors

Choosing a Marine Surveyor & 10 questions to ask

Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

Some light reading that may help
Old 15-09-2021, 06:56   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

No idea for that region.
Just saying that "available again" and "wants us here yesterday" rings a few alarm bells.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 10:12   #4

If you are a Boat US member I -think- they had a list of licensed marine surveyors. I'm in California and purchased a boat in Virginia, so I needed a surveyor in that area.

They're not in your area but maybe they can refer someone: https://bostonmarinesurveyors.com/
Old 15-09-2021, 10:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Water View Post
If you are a Boat US member I -think- they had a list of licensed marine surveyors. I'm in California and purchased a boat in Virginia, so I needed a surveyor in that area.

They're not in your area but maybe they can refer someone: https://bostonmarinesurveyors.com/
Sorry, for accuracies sake, there is no such thing as a "licensed" surveyor
Old 15-09-2021, 11:00   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke10 View Post
Hello,

We were told it is now available again and the broker wants us there yesterday.
Regards,

Paul
Brokers are interested in quick sales, not your best interest. As it seems you are new to this, finding a good, thorough surveyor is the priority. Take your time finding a reputable one and tell the broker you don’t appreciate his being pushy.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 11:08   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

If it is so urgent that the broker sells the boat quickly, maybe if you drag your feet you can get a better price.
Old 15-09-2021, 11:27   #8

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Check with marine insurers to see if they have a list of "approved" surveyors in your region. We bought a new to us boat earlier this year and our insurance broker referred us to the insurance company website for a list of surveyors that they had worked with in my region. I did not take it to be a list of "good" surveyors, just one of those surveyors that the company had found acceptable in previous business dealings. But that list was a good starting point and, as the insurance broker pointed out, their survey would be accepted by my current insurance company.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 14:36   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

We used a surveyor based out of South Dartmouth, (Padanaram), Jeff Gonsalves, to check out the boat we bought in Marion. He seemed to be busy with boats from New York to New Hamphire, so Harwichport shouldn't be too far for him. The problem might be getting onto his schedule. Especially if the selling broker is in a hurry. Makes you wonder why the boat you're interested in is suddenly back on the market...
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 07:57   #10

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke10 View Post
Hello,

We are about to buy our first boat. We were told it is now available again and the broker wants us there yesterday. Does anyone know of a Hull and a Diesel engine surveyor available in the Harwich Port Massachusetts area? Any other help or advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul
If nothing comes along better, check with your insurance agent/company with which you plan to insure, or any other (as already noted above in #8). Also, if financing, your bank loan officer. Those folks are interested in a good, fair market survey, etc.

This past summer I asked the local yards (i.e., an out of area purchase) where the survey would be done to recommend. I followed up with telephone contact. One relevant item was how long it took to get a reply to my voice mail message, especially when one needs something done soon. Next day early (0700-0800) LATEST is a good sign. Someone checking messages before or at the start of the work day. Best to leave a detailed message—the boat & yard & where you got the reference. These guys are usually very busy.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 22:23   #11

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
We used a surveyor based out of South Dartmouth, (Padanaram), Jeff Gonsalves, to check out the boat we bought in Marion. He seemed to be busy with boats from New York to New Hamphire, so Harwichport shouldn't be too far for him. The problem might be getting onto his schedule. Especially if the selling broker is in a hurry. Makes you wonder why the boat you're interested in is suddenly back on the market...
Because people back out for whatever reason. Bad survey, cold feet, wife changed her mind, could not get financing, ..........
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 16:44   #12

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Because people back out for whatever reason. Bad survey, cold feet, wife changed her mind, could not get financing, ..........
And if it's the first one, it would be a good idea to be aware of it instead of wasting money on a survey of your own to find the same problem over again.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 18:41   #13

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Be aware that surveyors come in all shapes and flavors.

You have to grill them closely on what they will and will not check. You should also ask for a copy of a recent survey they have done so that you can get an idea of how thorough they are.

Many sailboat surveyors will not check rigging or the diesel. Those, of course, are two of the more expensive items to replace on the boat. You will probably have to hire, separately, a rigger and a mechanic to do those checks.

The worst of the surveyors will give you an "insurance survey" for $1,000 or less and basically flip switches to see what works. They might also walk around the deck to see whether there are soft spots.

A good surveyor will check all of the systems and identify the neglected original equipment and DIY "upgrades" that were done that could cost you a lot of money to remedy and perhaps will endanger the boat ... and you.

The best boat to buy has been constantly upgraded and has a lot of recent equipment. The worst is one in which most of the equipment is 20 years old and more.

Even if it passes the surveyor, you will be replacing it all in a year or two.

Remember that boat stuff is expensive these days. Refitting electronics can run into five figures. So can replacing a mistreated diesel. Sails can run into the many thousands.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you can revive a neglected boat with a little sweat equity.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey, surveyor