Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 18:03   #241
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
And then, if they're still not swimming away, hit them over the head with it

On another defense option: a friend of mine, who was cruising some years ago, told me he used to use the top life line (railing) and put a low current on that. A little bit like having a catfence all around your boat. It was meant to deliver a shock - in both senses of the word.

(Help! My English is falling desperately short here, hope someone understands what I mean ... )

He said it worked fine, just a bit of a pain when climbing out of the dinghy drunk and forgetting about it yourself ...
LOL.. how to screw up your boat in one easy lesson..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 18:17   #242

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
how to screw up your boat in one easy lesson..:
Oh noes - I obviously messed up describing what he used, cos that'll not screw up a boat. At least not our plastic ones
Old 06-03-2016, 19:46   #243

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Oh noes - I obviously messed up describing what he used, cos that'll not screw up a boat. At least not our plastic ones
Actually that is a really good way to screw up your boat, running current through the hand rails, never a good idea, because those hand rails can come in contact with your rigging, your rigging comes in contact with your mast, you mast has wires running up and down it.

Things like Radios, Radar Ped's and GPS units, really don't like having current run through them the wrong way.

Sounds to me like a perfect recipe to fry a bunch of expensive gear on your boat, and a really good way to piss someone climbing on board off.

Getting the snot shocked out of them is a really good way to take a bad man who was intent on robbing you and make them intent on killing you.

You would be better off rigging an alarm with a loud bell that would also turn your mast head lights on drawing lots of attention to your boat if boarded.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 22:10   #244

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
because those hand rails can come in contact with your rigging,
I don't really see that happening at anchor. True, never say never, stranger things have happened etc., but still ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
You would be better off rigging an alarm with a loud bell that would also turn your mast head lights on drawing lots of attention to your boat if boarded.
Yes, cos loud alarms always sooo much fun for the other boats at the anchorage It'll probably piss people off (too), especially when it's a bird or something else setting off the alarms. Now that, I've seen & heard happen more then once. And I'm not even cruising yet.

Haven't found an easy way to light the cockpit - or that's to say, with light it with a not-too-easily-destroyed light.

Getting 'the snot shocked out of them' is an exaggeration - again, like catfence, nothing that'll leave anyone smelling like bacon. If that turns someone in a stone cold murderer, my chances probably weren't very good to begin with.

I only know 2 boats that used it for their entire time cruising, but looks like their sites aren't online anymore. One of them had a page with some info it.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:36   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancoombe View Post
Who here has needed a fire arm?
Is it really about "need"? I have had fire insurance my entire life and I have never used it. For some silly reason, I still pay for it.
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:22   #246
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

Haven't found an easy way to light the cockpit - or that's to say, with light it with a not-too-easily-destroyed light.
Use this one, just mount it on a piece of board and plug it into the cigarette lighter receptacle or whatever plug you have to power your spot light. put it on the companionway hatch cover, toss below when your sailing of course, this is a temporary install
It's dirt cheap, 12V and really very bright, but if you want much brighter same one comes as a 50W, and 50W or LED is a LOT of light.

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Flood...ed+flood+light
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:24   #247

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
I don't really see that happening at anchor. True, never say never, stranger things have happened etc., but still ...

Yes, cos loud alarms always sooo much fun for the other boats at the anchorage It'll probably piss people off (too), especially when it's a bird or something else setting off the alarms. Now that, I've seen & heard happen more then once. And I'm not even cruising yet.

Getting 'the snot shocked out of them' is an exaggeration - again, like catfence, nothing that'll leave anyone smelling like bacon. If that turns someone in a stone cold murderer, my chances probably weren't very good to begin with.

I only know 2 boats that used it for their entire time cruising, but looks like their sites aren't online anymore. One of them had a page with some info it.
You think getting shocked at any level that is enough to hurt isn't going to piss someone off?

Putting electricity through your rails is a dumb idea, all it would take is for there to be dried salt on the side of your boat and to have condensation form on the hull to complete a circuit down to the water line and back up the grounding plate for your radios.

The boat may be plastic, but water conducts electricity.

As well if you are in an area that is really that bad the best defense is going to be to have someone standing watch all night to ensure the boat is safe, and to not stick around any longer than a couple of days so they don't have time to learn your habits and routines.
BigNickMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:26   #248
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you already have lights, just want a sensor, this works, and again is dirt cheap, mount it with velcro, keep a spare .

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-12V-24...0N72HTXG5PVX48

On edit, this one is completely self contained, not as bright I'm sure, maybe looks like someone in the companionway just shined a flashlight at you if you were the boarder?
http://www.amazon.com/LED-Wireless-M...tor+spot+light
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:48   #249
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Lizzy.. suggest you learn about the effects of stray electric currents on the alloys in ALL boats.. and your friend takes some oral suppositories..
Stanchions are metal often seated on alloy toerails with alloy fixings at hull and deck joins.. its about as intelligent as carrying a gun.. tho you won't get arrested.. just laughed at when you go for repairs.
Likely your friends sank..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 15:48   #250
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I would suggest to buy the book "Pirates aboard!" and read it.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:07   #251
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Skip the shotgun, bring:

1. .22 long
2. 9 mm
3. Crossbow set up for fishing...great item for quiet self defense and fishing.
4. Spear gun. Smallest size possible for manuevering in tight quarters.

Use gloves whenever you handle all items. From purchase, opening the box to handling bolts/arrows, ammo, cleaning, firing, etc...

Not sure why, then don't buy
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:10   #252
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Use the light bars you have to snap to light. Attach it to a mousetrap with a string and a bell
Result...stretch the string, the mouse trap triggers snaps the light and bangs the bell.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:15   #253

Boat: O'Day 28

A light saber would be even better.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:14   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaadventurers View Post
Is it really about "need"? I have had fire insurance my entire life and I have never used it. For some silly reason, I still pay for it.
Yep, not the greatest argument against having a firearm on board (there are some valid ones, but that's not one of them). I have a long list of marine safety gear that after a lifetime of sailing I have never had to use. I still carry them, though.

Tags
Bahamas