Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 19:26   #76

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Of course, there are a lot of people out there who seem to think that guns are, in fact, autonomous sentient destructive forces. Not consciously, of course. Ask them if a gun can kill someone all by itself and they will admit that it can't. Still, they will continue to think about guns, and talk about guns, as if they really do act autonomously.
Very good point.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 20:28   #77

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
A few more thoughts...

I think it is jumping to the wrong conclusion that having a gun means you intend to kill a thief. The typical petty thief will quickly retreat when confronted with a gun and no shots will need to be fired. The rare one that does not is probably ruthless or stupid enough to intend bodily harm. At that point, you are not protecting property, rather using the gun for personal protection.

As for having a gun with no bullets, that would be far more dangerous than no gun at all or a gun with bullets because the aggressive thief is going to shoot at you or take the gun away and pistol whip you.

Finally, I would rather die quickly from a gun shot than be slowly gouged to death by a spoon. How in the world did spoon even get into a hijacked thread on guns!
Old 01-10-2010, 20:47   #78

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've come to believe.. especially after having lived in NC for a year... that the country and its people are controlled by the fear factor instigated by the 'Men at the Top'.... forget the gun..
People being controlled by the 'Men at the Top' has nothing to do with the exagerated sense of the world being a dangerous place that many Americans feel. It has more to do with the media. In an un-controlled media world dominated by television with a limited time in which to deliver, most news programs have 1 serious 'extended' (1.5-3min) segment and a number of local crime and human interest bits. The crime bits are the important ones. Because they involve crime, often violent because it is more sensational and attracts more viewers, these bits create a bit a fear in everyone. Papers are a bit better, but still report a lot of crime because that is what is 'newsworthy'. People keep reading and hearing about crime to they come to believe there is a lot of it. Thus we have an exagerated sense of fear in the US.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 21:15   #79

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
I agree!

Twenty four hour news is one of the worst inventions of man. It has created a fear based society that is scared of its shadow and feels the need to be suspicious of anyone and everyone. Once upon a time you could make a mistake, learn from it and move on with your life.

Now we put 1% of the US adult population in prison and brand them for the rest of their lives....gee we're drifting now...
Old 02-10-2010, 13:02   #80

Boat: not much yet
A gun is a tool. It is better for some things than other all other tools.
The be prepared, have spares, have everything that could possibly be needed, don't care a gun.
I don't carry one either, but not because they are evil or a danger to anyone. I don't carry one anywhere, because I don't want to have to take care of it. That is the biggest problem with a weapon on board. It has to have a baby sitter.
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:27   #81

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSeas View Post
How in the world did spoon even get into a hijacked thread on guns!
Rosie O'Donnell did it. Go back a few posts and you'll see.
Old 02-10-2010, 13:44   #82

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
We returned from the Exuma's in June. We always take a gun. This time we took a 30 30 and a 22 magnum. We always declare and don't take much ammo. It is for defense only.
Upon our return we were checked by US Customs in Houma, La. They came fully geared at 11:00 pm. They asked for our papers and if we had guns. We said we sure do and told them what they were. The Customs guy said, "Hey so would I". They boarded the neighboring boat ( who did not have a gun or any kind of a weapon but they didn't believe him) because they thought he was lying. Go figure. I really think they were looking for drug smugglers.

Funny story: One time we were on a bare boat charter with 2 other couples. I guess no one really discussed much about taking guns. When we checked in at Bimini we had 6 people and 7 guns...lol. They looked surprised. My husband just shrugged his shoulders and said, " We are from Texas!!!". We grew up with guns, know how to use them responsibly and are prepared to use them if the situation demanded it.
Sea Yawl Later!!
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:12   #83

Boat: Freedom 32
Re: Taking a Shotgun to Bahamas from US and Back

There is only defense you need for almost all situations on a boat.

A can of wasp spray. You know the kind. Point and shoot. If you hit the zombie's eyes he will not see again until the eyes are properly flushed. That of course, happens when you say so.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:46   #84

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I have never seen them count the ammo, and they refuse to check you out of the country, so how would they know where it went? I have found over the years that taking a gun of any kind is not needed. You are more likely to get robbed in Miami.......i2f
I am all for carrying guns onboard but it really isn't needed in the Bahamas. I agree with Imagine but if you are going further...let's say to the greandines or near Venezuela /Trinidad or Tobago.....definitely YES take one. or two

or a third hidden in the rudder LOL. or maybe put one taped, and puttied in a fender............not in a cereal box, they know that trick.

I think I'll start a new thread....best ways to hide a gun.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:09   #85

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
SNIP

If you hit the zombie's eyes he will not see again

SNIP
Don't you know the reason folks buy boats is because zombies can't swim.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:47   #86

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Don't you know the reason folks buy boats is because zombies can't swim.
They climb up your anchor chain. Had that happen more than once.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:04   #87

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Protection? M203.

Stuff the 16, I'll just go the M79....

Mark PS Only the vets will know that........ and they'll agree
Where do you get ammo for a grenade launcher?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:04   #88

Really? We don't have enough recent gun threads, we have to revive one that's been dormant for four years?

Oh yeah, and the whole wasp spray thing? Nothing but an urban legend. Doesn't work. How do I know? My wife accidentally sprayed me with the stuff once. Almost no immediate effect. You'll give your attacker a nasty headache... about an hour later.

Now you just have to figure out how to convince him to delay his attack until the headache sets in. Of course, he still won't be incapacitated, but at least he will have a headache.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 20:13   #89

Boat: Gulfstar 50

You won't have any problems bringing a scatter gun to the Bahamas. Just keep it oiled and well packed cause it'll rust in a second if you let it. You won't have any problems bringing it back to the states either. Always remember, guns are legal to own.

I regularly bring a small arsenal to the Bahamas. Not because I'm scared in the Bahamas but because my boat is my home and I happen to own guns. Most of the time customs doesn't even bat an eyelash. I hand them my list of pistols and shotguns and rifles and crossbows and all the ammo, and I smirk. They're probably thinking I'm some crazy but who cares what they think. If I followed the herd like the rest of the sheeple I'd probably be living under a bridge somewhere.

The only place you would ever need a gun in the Bahamas is if you go to Nassau. I had to pull my pistol on some drunk there who accosted my wife at the morning fish market. His face looked like cauliflower he was so diseased with some nightmare illness. There was a cop right there and he didn't even get out of his car. I would have never shot the idiot. It was more of a preparation for pistol whipping him. Didn't want to catch whatever awful disease he had by punching him in the head. But had I not been there I'm sure a rape or something would have occurred. I also had a guy threaten my life as I dozed in a 125 degree laundry mat. He said something like dat how dem white boy get bleed by shotta. I barely opened my eyes, just pulled my shirt up and showed the but of my gat. And this was at a marina many of you have probably been to.

Story time over, I've never once had a problem anywhere else in the Bahamas. Not in the slightest. People are awesome and gentle and nice. Much safer than the states. The back streets of st Thomas or st croix though, a much different story.
Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 20:40   #90

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
You won't have any problems bringing a scatter gun to the Bahamas. Just keep it oiled and well packed cause it'll rust in a second if you let it. You won't have any problems bringing it back to the states either. Always remember, guns are legal to own.

I regularly bring a small arsenal to the Bahamas. Not because I'm scared in the Bahamas but because my boat is my home and I happen to own guns. Most of the time customs doesn't even bat an eyelash. I hand them my list of pistols and shotguns and rifles and crossbows and all the ammo, and I smirk. They're probably thinking I'm some crazy but who cares what they think. If I followed the herd like the rest of the sheeple I'd probably be living under a bridge somewhere.

The only place you would ever need a gun in the Bahamas is if you go to Nassau. I had to pull my pistol on some drunk there who accosted my wife at the morning fish market. His face looked like cauliflower he was so diseased with some nightmare illness. There was a cop right there and he didn't even get out of his car. I would have never shot the idiot. It was more of a preparation for pistol whipping him. Didn't want to catch whatever awful disease he had by punching him in the head. But had I not been there I'm sure a rape or something would have occurred. I also had a guy threaten my life as I dozed in a 125 degree laundry mat. He said something like dat how dem white boy get bleed by shotta. I barely opened my eyes, just pulled my shirt up and showed the but of my gat. And this was at a marina many of you have probably been to.

Story time over, I've never once had a problem anywhere else in the Bahamas. Not in the slightest. People are awesome and gentle and nice. Much safer than the states. The back streets of st Thomas or st croix though, a much different story.
Wow. That is some story. I guess keeping your gun locked up didn't happen.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas