Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 05:59   #1

Taking the Next Step

Hi Gang, I know there are many threads on this topic but I haven't found any that apply to my situation specifically. And who doesn't like an opportunity to give advice right??

I'm ready to move on to my next boat and need some help choosing it.

A little background. I've been sailing single handed for a while. I've owned a tanzer 22 and a C&C 34. I learned to sail in NS and have logged a lot of hours around the Canadian east coast but not much further. Though, as many of you may agree, the north Atlantic is a good place to cut your teeth.

I'm ready to move to my next vessel and I have a short list of requirements. Seems they don't all come in one package, I'm hoping some of you might have some suggestions.

Requirements:

Ocean Going:
Time to leave NS behind and see the world, I want to circumnavigate (eventually) and that includes more than trade winds and tropics. I want to visit Scandinavia and Cape Town. Basically i don't want to be afraid to to sail somewhere because my boat isn't tough enough. Maybe not the north west passage but you get the idea.

Comfortable:
I'd like to be able to drop anchor and spend some time in one spot from time to time. A big comfortable cockpit / saloon would be great.

Single Handed:
I think I would be ok up to about 42 or so feet given enough practice and familiarity gained in my home waters. Some elbow room for living aboard. Simple sail plan and lines to the cockpit.

That's about it. I'm comfortable making modifications to a vessel to achieve these goals. But some things you can't change of course.

Budget is fairly flexible as well.

So, any ideas?!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:50   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Taking the Next Step

Not to be flippant, but it's more about the sailor than the boat. Particularly since your features & qualites checklist doesn't do much to narrow the field. Other than being smaller than 40-something feet, your mentioned C&C would be capable of such an undertaking.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Not to be flippant, but it's more about the sailor than the boat. Particularly since your features & qualites checklist doesn't do much to narrow the field. Other than being smaller than 40-something feet, your mentioned C&C would be capable of such an undertaking.
Perhaps, the the C&C is rather uncomfortable. The cockpit is on the cramped ed of things. And while I love the C&C, I wouldn't be very comfortable bouncing around off short in there.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is a tank like Valiant 40 except has the roomy cockpit of a Bravaria cruiser
Old 03-11-2017, 03:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ray.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ray.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:33   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Very few mass produced boats are "blue water" boats, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for a lot of people. Take a look at John Kretschmer Sailing - Bluewater Boats for some recommendations from someone with deep ocean experience.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:08   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Basically, I'm wondering if there is a tank like Valiant 40 except has the roomy cockpit of a Bravaria cruiser
This...and some will argue, is contradictory. Traditionally ‘bluewater’ boats have small cockpits to reduce the amount of water held when in following seas. Also large open cockpits in weather are more uncomfortable when getting smashed around (think the AP is sterring and you’re clinging to a winch and wedge between the combing and opposite seat, can’t do that in a party cockpit) I find mine more than adequate but others might consider it small. Also check out Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org if you’re interested in going the traditional route, and see if anyone in the area has something you can go and take a look for yourself. I’ve sailed lots in a Cc34 and my T37’s ‘small’ cockpit is way bigger overall.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:28   #8

Boat: J/42

The World Offshore Special Regulations may pertain to racers, but offer food for thought to cruisers. Among other things, there is a specific formula for calculating the maximum safe cockpit volume. (I had already considered shortening my cockpit for a couple of reasons, but by the formula, I only need to loose about six cubic feet, which I could do by decking over the footwell aft of the rudder post.)

IIRC from the book, Robin Graham got so tired of getting pooped in the Indian Ocean that he decked over the entire cockpit of Dove.

I too had settled on 40-ish feet as the likely next step, but lately I have considered more and more staying with the smaller boat.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:32   #9

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

I'm just going to chime in here only to say that the cockpit on my Pearson 424 is HUGE. It's also huge on the Pearson 365.

I would consider my 424 a go-anywhere boat, however I NEVER want to see this cockpit full of water.

I have heard of other 424 owners using coolers, storage bins, propane tanks, etc. to cut down on the volume of the massive Pearson cockpits.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:37   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Just go get a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37 and be done with it.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:47   #11

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Perhaps, the the C&C is rather uncomfortable. The cockpit is on the cramped ed of things. And while I love the C&C, I wouldn't be very comfortable bouncing around off short in there.

Gozzard's have a pretty big cockpit. Have large freeing port and a center island helm pod to make up for some of it.

Really alot will come down to what you feel is comfortable.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:59   #12

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comfortable:
I'd like to be able to drop anchor and spend some time in one spot from time to time. A big comfortable cockpit / saloon would be great.

Single Handed:
I think I would be ok up to about 42 or so feet given enough practice and familiarity gained in my home waters. Some elbow room for living aboard. Simple sail plan and lines to the cockpit.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Catalina 42
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:35   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RayJr,

Here's what I think, assuming it will be either you, by yourself, or with a friend, you need enough room to lounge comfortably in the cockpit, and sleep out there if it is really too hot. You do not need to be able to seat 8 for afternoon tea. You will make changes as you change climactic regimes. Do make good ventilation a priority--as well as heating.

Anyhow, you haven't mentioned price range at all, but I suggest you look outside the box. The right one-off could really do you well.

If you want a "brand", the Peterson 44 might do, it really depends with the older boats how well they've been maintained.

If you don't want to go that large, then you might find a well maintained Valiant 40. Incidentally, seated, that cockpit will seat 6. Some friends had one. You almost never want to have more than that number over, for snacks or drinks or a meal.

You might want to look at the aluminum French boats. Another thought, a very experienced sea man here, El Pinguino, recently re-fit his Westerly Serenade, and could probably make a recommendation as to British boats, ditto Boatman 61, and many others.

Choosing a boat is, in fact, getting your list together, and looking at a whole lot of frogs before you find the princess. Here are a few criteria to consider:

Of what material do you want it built? [timber, carbon, aluminum, steel?] fin or full keel; one or two sticks, and what kind of rig? [in line or swept back spreaders?] [sloop or cutter?]; sit down nav station?; aft or center cockpit?; would you consider longer than 40 ft?; would you accept a Taiwan built boat?

Make a list of boats you wouldn't consider at all, that helps narrow things; is it important to you that it sail well in light airs?; how much work are you willing to do to bring a basic good boat up to snuff?; anyhow, that is one way to think about it--and go look at a lot of boats.

Look at the Bestevaer49 thread by noelex, and take your time. It is an expedition boat, currently almost finished, and has many good ideas integrated into its construction. It is a long thread, so take your time with it. Most of the design considerations are listed in the beginning of the thread.

If you're willing to consider aluminum, there's a Gary Mull design for sale here on CF, listed by ewitts, that I have been aboard in the past. It was a nice sailing boat, a cruiser that did take into consideration light air performance.

Ann
Old 05-11-2017, 15:57   #14

Boat: Moody 54

We had a Sabre 42 that was quite sturdy and easy to handle. And she just beautiful to look at too!
Good luck with your search,
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 18:43   #15

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Hi Gang, I know there are many threads on this topic but I haven't found any that apply to my situation specifically. And who doesn't like an opportunity to give advice right??

I'm ready to move on to my next boat and need some help choosing it.

A little background. I've been sailing single handed for a while. I've owned a tanzer 22 and a C&C 34. I learned to sail in NS and have logged a lot of hours around the Canadian east coast but not much further. Though, as many of you may agree, the north Atlantic is a good place to cut your teeth.

I'm ready to move to my next vessel and I have a short list of requirements. Seems they don't all come in one package, I'm hoping some of you might have some suggestions.

Requirements:

Ocean Going:
Time to leave NS behind and see the world, I want to circumnavigate (eventually) and that includes more than trade winds and tropics. I want to visit Scandinavia and Cape Town. Basically i don't want to be afraid to to sail somewhere because my boat isn't tough enough. Maybe not the north west passage but you get the idea.

Comfortable:

Single Handed:

That's about it. I'm comfortable making modifications to a vessel to achieve these goals. But some things you can't change of course.

Budget is fairly flexible as well.

So, any ideas?!
This one fits all your requirements: https://youtu.be/w8oBG3vR168
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote