Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 02:39   #31

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Re: Teak Decks vs Gelcoat Non-Skid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
OK Jon, now that we have settled the teak issue, lets discuss what should be on the deck. If there isn't molded in anti skid in the gel coat, I like using one of the acryllic based commercial deck coatings. These are a slightly rubbery coating applied with a textured roller, and in our experience provide really good traction... better than any molded gelcoat can offer.

Kiwigrip is a popular marine version, but it is fairly pricey. We found (in Australia) an industrial equivalent called Acrylmeric. Got 15 litres (enough to do the decks on our 46 foot boat at least twice) for about 180 AUD. It was easy to apply, water cleanup, fast drying and has held up well so far. One can adjust the aggressiveness of the finish to suit specific traffic areas, and we like the result. Stuff can be tinted to your taste, but we used a fairly stark white to keep it cooler in the tropics. Some folks don't like it's appearance but that's an individual take.

Anyhow, have fun, have cooler decks, have a faster boat... what's not to like?

Cheers,

Jim
+1 for acrylic stuff, I just started Kiwigripping, and apart from the fact that on a hot day, it skins REALLY FAST and gives you a finish you will NEVER slip on (think ludicrously pointy texture!).... so far so good. A LOOOOT easier than I imagined too!

I initially bought a whole deck's worth of Treadmaster (ouch$), but got rid of it - just looked like way too much work!

I chose light grey thinking that white would get too dirty too quickly, but didn't think of the heat issue. Bah. Let's hope I don't fry!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 03:31   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I would never consider buying a catamaran with teak decks, it just doesn't make sense to me.
Have to agree. I love our Wauquiez but never understood the teak decks on the cat when most of the monos don't have them.
Old 23-10-2011, 03:40   #33

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
I would never consider buying a catamaran with teak decks, it just doesn't make sense to me.
I am sorry to hear that. I was going to see if you wanted to buy my catamaran. It is on the market really cheap but I guess you will not be interested. Attached photo for your review. The teak decks make such a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunreef-cat2.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	32853  
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 05:12   #34

Boat: Oyster 53

Jon,
Good to find you on CF! I just joined and saw your post. As a monohull sailor I can't comment on what is right for cats but I have noticed all bigger boats have teak and for a reason. It looks better. Full stop. Also, it feels great under foot. We sailed our Tayana 52 in the tropics (where you are now, actually) for three years and loved the teak. It was only too hot to walk on around noon. However, with a cat you are probably putting on double the teak that an equivalent sized monohull would require and there is that weight consideration.
Don't forget, you are in the best place in the world to put teak on the boat. We had our decks redone in Thailand, as I mentioned to you before, and loved the look and the work. And the price.
In the final equation, what do most of the Waquiez cats your size and vintage have? Teak or no teak? I wouldn't want to have the only boat in the series with teak if the others didn't have it, and vice versa.
Good luck with your decision.
Dhillen
Old 23-10-2011, 05:49   #35
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
SMJ, ALL boats are compromises. We weren't wild about the teak either, but ALL Wauquiez boats have teak decks - it's a bit of a signature item with him. And for all her other foibles, we've yet to find another boat we'd rather cruise.
Jon, I like the Wauqiez find them very pleasing to the eye. I don't like any wood on the exterior of a boat, to much maintenance for me. I also like to keep a cat light. If you get rid of your teak you may have the fastest Wauqiez in the world!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 05:51   #36
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
I am sorry to hear that. I was going to see if you wanted to buy my catamaran. It is on the market really cheap but I guess you will not be interested. Attached photo for your review. The teak decks make such a difference.
Thanks but no thanks. Way to much maintenance for a lazy person like me.
Old 23-10-2011, 06:00   #37

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Jon, you may already know this but if you go the teak route be very careful about using legal teak in Thailand. Our contractor when we built our house in Krabi, Thailand had a subcontractor go to jail for using illegal wood on another project. You as an end user can also be held liable and go to jail.
Old 23-10-2011, 06:10   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Thanks but no thanks. Way to much maintenance for a lazy person like me.
This is like the third time I've asked...if the teak is left let to go grey...what maintenance are we talking about?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 07:27   #39

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Sweet (HUGE) cat, CaptKJ. Doubt it's going too "cheap"

We've seen other big cats with teak cockpits. We actually like the teak in our cockpit & we're going to keep it. We have a permanent bimini so it stays cool. The part of the deck that's the subject of this thread is the side-decks & in front of the saloon - an area of ~15 sq-m or 160 sq-ft. Costs are about $4K for teak or gelcoat with molded non-skid (complete finished job).

Quote:
be very careful about using legal teak in Thailand.
Thanks Doodles. Our contractor seems pretty good, but I'll mention it to him. I thought all Wauquiez's had teak decks, but it sounds like your Pretorien (Praetorian?) doesn't?

Quote:
what do most of the Wauquiez cats your size and vintage have?
Dhillen, Wauquiez built 13 Kronos cats in the early 90s. Ocelot's #12, so one of the latest. AFAIK, all had teak decks (but only Ocelot & #13 have teak interiors). I suspect all her sisters are also having teak deck issues by now, & the engineer (& cruiser) in me doesn't mind taking a different path.

Jim & Akio, you say your acrylic "has held up well so far." Can you be more quantitative? Our gelcoat (& teak) has lasted 16 years & is still doing its job - It just looks a bit ratty (it's probably lost ~4 of it's original 12mm). How long does the acrylic last? Is there an agent in SE Asia? We've found the softer non-skids available here (there are lots) only last 3-4 years, less in high traffic areas.

Thanks again for all the excellent input!
Old 23-10-2011, 07:34   #40
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
This is like the third time I've asked...if the teak is left let to go grey...what maintenance are we talking about?
The caulking in-between the planks? If put down with screws the possibility of rotting core. I may be wrong but it seems gelcoat nonskid is a lot less labor intensive than teak decking and a lot less expensive to replace than teak.
I like the idea of cork In the cockpit. It's lightweight soft on the feet and durable. Also looks good.
Old 23-10-2011, 07:34   #41

Boat: private yacht always moving

My cat is gorgeous. It floats nicely it the hot tub with me. I was willing to sell it cheap but the price has gone up now
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 07:37   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

I'd also vote for gelcoat / non-skid.

As there is a good reason for the change (not just a cheap fix / bodge) can't see it affecting re-sale. and on something like a modern looking Catamaran IMO not out of place at all - if not more in keeping (not talking about a wooden classic from 1920 ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 07:39   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
My cat is gorgeous. It floats nicely it the hot tub with me. I was willing to sell it cheap but the price has gone up now
I recall that Prout used to make them that hull colour back in the 1970's. Nicknamed dog sh#t brown For the modern buyer that is probably considered a good thing...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 08:22   #44

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
..Kronos #11 is here in Bermuda in the daysail business. I will look this morning and see if Nathan has teak or painted decks. If paint, will get some pictures. As an aside, this spring, after she lost her mast to a failed turn buckle, we re-rigged her and added a second lower shroud...
Hi Blue - Yes, they contacted me when it came down (I think we have the biggest Kronos website). They also have teak decks. My 2010 photo shows prominent plugs visible, but I can't see screw heads (yet).

The rigging failure looked to me like one of those difficult-to-see-ahead-of-time crevice-corrosion failures. But closer inspection of their failed turnbuckle showed me that it was a CUT thread, not a rolled thread. Cut threads are very prone to crevice corrosion, much more so than rolled threads. IMHO, cut threads have no business in critical applications like standing rigging.

Failed turnbuckle stud - classic crevice corrosion

Cut threads are made by running a (sharply pointed) die over a SS rod, cutting the thread into the rod (& often starting micro-cracks at the bottom of the threads in the process). Rolled threads are made by mashing the threads into the rod in a huge press. No metal is lost & the radius at the bottom of the thread is much greater, with much less chance of micro-crevices forming.

Classic uniform diameter of cut threads (sister to above failed turnbuckle)

BTW, you can tell a cut thread from a rolled thread because rolled threads will stick proud of the shank by a tiny (but noticeable) amount, while cut threads are never bigger than the shank. You might want to go out & check your own turnbuckles - it's easy to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Failed Starboard Eye Stud 1_C.jpg
Views:	1416
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	32860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Port Shroud Eye Stud Close-up_C.jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	32861  

Old 23-10-2011, 09:40   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Jim & Akio, you say your acrylic "has held up well so far." Can you be more quantitative? Our gelcoat (& teak) has lasted 16 years & is still doing its job - It just looks a bit ratty (it's probably lost ~4 of it's original 12mm). How long does the acrylic last? Is there an agent in SE Asia? We've found the softer non-skids available here (there are lots) only last 3-4 years, less in high traffic areas.

Thanks again for all the excellent input!
Jon, ours is only about one year old, but the chap who clued me in to the vendor had it on his aluminium yacht for over 10 years (don't remember exactly) and a circumnavigation. At that point (where I had a look at it) it had worn nearly through in the highest traffic areas, but was still sound elsewhere. It is really easy to renew it in those areas if one wishes.

Ask me again in a few years!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
gelcoat