Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2023, 17:00   #61

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Tell me about your dinghy and what you like about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I hate inflatables: they're splashy; they don't row; they fall apart untimely; they're expensive, and heavy, and ungainly. So when I was building my cruising boat I built a 9-foot rowing/sailing dinghy out of vinylester and fiberglass.
Fits the family of five, carries vast cargoes, rows super-nicely.
Fast forward some years of cruising, and that dinghy had been smashed by a speeding panga, repaired in the wild, dragged up endless beaches, dismasted--but still going strong. It was rather heavy, though, so I faired it, pulled a mold off of it, and built a carbon/kevlar/epoxy dinghy in it that we still use today. It's light, it's stiff, it rows great, and cost less to build than an inflatable to buy: if I ever get into an inflatable again it'll be too soon.

I'm curious what your 9 foot carbon/kevlar/epoxy dinghy weighs out at?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 17:14   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm curious what your 9 foot carbon/kevlar/epoxy dinghy weighs out at?
I haven't put it on a scale, but it's less than 100lbs: I can easily carry it by getting under it like a turtle, and to stand it on its transom and then tip it over to carry is really easy.
Old 03-04-2023, 19:07   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I haven't put it on a scale, but it's less than 100lbs: I can easily carry it by getting under it like a turtle, and to stand it on its transom and then tip it over to carry is really easy.
I would love to see pictures of it and if you ever have time and a scale, I'd like to know it's weight.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 20:40   #64

Boat: Tartan 3800

Well, I used to have an 8' fiberglass rowing dinghy that was insufficient in terms of capacity and seaworthiness, so I sold it.

Now I have:
- A modified Chameleon (Danny Greene) nesting dinghy
- A 14' aluminum utility boat with a Honda 9.9.

The Chameleon I built myself. It's plywood and fiberglass, but I've substituted foam and carbon fiber construction in certain areas to save weight and kevlar reinforcement in certain areas for durability. It is 10'4" and takes a 3 hp motor, and rows and sails well. The hull weighs 101 pounds by the scale (see photo), motor is 31 pounds, foils and sails are around 15 pounds. It will float if swamped even with the motor, and the 2" foam bench seat is extremely floaty. It tows well and disassembles to fit on the foredeck, though with my Tartan it will fit in one piece too. Recently I built a center cart. It rows well. It motors OK but does not plane. Absent theft or tragedy, and with proper maintenance, it will last 100 years and can be repaired anywhere with epoxy and cloth.

I anticipate the Chameleon will work well for us in the Great Lakes and Eastern Seaboard areas where dinghy rides tend to be short. I can row a couple miles before I get tired and frustrated with it so in many cases I don't need the motor. The sailing rig is more for enjoyment than utility although it is compact enough and easy enough to use it may come out more often than I anticipate.

With the center cart it can be wheeled down roads, docks, sidewalks, used as a shopping cart, etc. I'm tempted to rig a hitch to my folding bicycle. I am thinking of redesigning the center cart so it will fold for storage since at this point it is bulky and awkward.

For the aluminum boat, the hull is about 220 pounds plus seats, motor is 105 pounds, battery is 40 pounds. There are air chambers so that it floats if swamped. It is really too large to be a tender but we use it that way anyway at times in fair conditions, either towing it on a rigid towbar or having one of our crew follow us with it. The hull is 60 years old but has new paint and portions have been rebuilt.

I have oars for the aluminum boat, and while it is a heavy boat to row, I am confident that I could row it several miles or more if necessary to get home in the event of engine troubles.

I am thinking of building a GV-10 dinghy as a future project. It is a 10' long pram designed to plane. I would think it ideal for the Bahamas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220618_190024421.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	273668   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220618_180054235.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	273669  

Name:	PXL_20220620_000623893.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	273670   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220620_000628261.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	273671  

Name:	PXL_20220624_212923940(1).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	273672   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220708_023559031.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	273673  

Name:	PXL_20220903_022723961(1).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	273674   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230226_134847832.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	273675  

Name:	P8210001.jpg
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	273676   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7050048.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	273678  

Old 07-06-2023, 18:01   #65

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What about this zodiac?

It looks like zodiac’s answer to the same highfield.

My dinghy is now finished. The entire transom is delaminating and leaking and not even safe for a single trip at this point.

https://defender.com/en_us/zodiac-al...2-z11212-r0090

It seems to have everything exactly the same as the Highfield 290 and 260. Even the same five year warranty and German welded PVC Ann recommended. But it’s about $1000 less.

PS: I finally got a good look at the port a boat. It is much much heavier than I had expected. It weighs too much for this application. I had really thought it was going to be lighter than the ribs.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 18:40   #66

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

I'm totally over inflatables, wet, no room, fragile. I've had a Quintrex Explorer 350 for years. First Yam 15 2st, then Merc 15 2st, now Suzi 15 4st. Planes easily with 4 onboard. 25kts one up.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 18:51   #67

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

It's going to be tough to beat the weight (or weight capacity) of a single floor RIB. But we're still quite happy with our cheap aluminum skiff. Not quite as light as a RIB and it's a little big, but it's pretty comfy (you'll run out of weight capacity before it gets crowded), it's fast enough, and more importantly, it's very durable (ours was built in 1967). And it cost under $500 from Craigslist, plus attaching some fenders and a coat of paint.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 18:58   #68

Boat: Tartan 40
Tell me about your dinghy and what you like about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It's going to be tough to beat the weight (or weight capacity) of a single floor RIB. But we're still quite happy with our cheap aluminum skiff. Not quite as light as a RIB and it's a little big, but it's pretty comfy (you'll run out of weight capacity before it gets crowded), it's fast enough, and more importantly, it's very durable (ours was built in 1967). And it cost under $500 from Craigslist, plus attaching some fenders and a coat of paint.

I’m sure it’s more durable than your topsides [emoji51]

How do you tie up to the mothership?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 19:17   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I’m sure it’s more durable than your topsides [emoji51]

How do you tie up to the mothership?
We permanently attached fenders along the sides and padded the bow area as well, so it's pretty friendly to the mothership. We typically just bring it sideways behind the boat and get on/off via the swim platform and then hoist it in the davits, so it's typically not left banging against the boat anyway.
Old 07-06-2023, 20:08   #70

Found one!

Might just be the saddest ad for an inflatable I have ever seen. Ha ha.

This was really from one of the ads. It said BYOP. Bring your own pump.

And I actually stumbled across an old dinghy that I used to have that I really liked. A Caribe L 10. It’s an old one. But if I can get it super cheap that sounds like it might do the trick. They are indestructible. It’s really old looking. It’s really ugly. I like those characteristics in a dinghy. I don’t want people looking at my dinghy thinking it’s a good thing to steal. Plus, I will move construction materials in it, bicycle. You name it. I will beat up any dinghy that I own so I might as well get one that’s already beat up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B3E89298-8389-4E5E-84E2-085AE9D155BE.jpeg
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	276457  
Old 07-06-2023, 20:31   #71

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Bought an Avon 3.10 RIB new in 1991. It survived 4 years in Mexico without any sun guard chaps, and back in the PNW ever since. It looks like heck mostly from grunge growth just sitting on our dock, but that plywood floor is still in fairly good shape.
I'd buy another if it went missing.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 05:22   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
What about this zodiac?

It looks like zodiac’s answer to the same highfield.

My dinghy is now finished. The entire transom is delaminating and leaking and not even safe for a single trip at this point.

https://defender.com/en_us/zodiac-al...2-z11212-r0090

It seems to have everything exactly the same as the Highfield 290 and 260. Even the same five year warranty and German welded PVC Ann recommended. But it’s about $1000 less.

PS: I finally got a good look at the port a boat. It is much much heavier than I had expected. It weighs too much for this application. I had really thought it was going to be lighter than the ribs.
If I don’t get that old, beat up Caribe, does anybody have any experience with this zodiac or similar? Or experience in general with zodiac?

They have the kind of PVC that Ann talked about upthread.
Old 08-06-2023, 05:30   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Found one!

Might just be the saddest ad for an inflatable I have ever seen. Ha ha.

This was really from one of the ads. It said BYOP. Bring your own pump.

And I actually stumbled across an old dinghy that I used to have that I really liked. A Caribe L 10. It’s an old one. But if I can get it super cheap that sounds like it might do the trick. They are indestructible. It’s really old looking. It’s really ugly. I like those characteristics in a dinghy. I don’t want people looking at my dinghy thinking it’s a good thing to steal. Plus, I will move construction materials in it, bicycle. You name it. I will beat up any dinghy that I own so I might as well get one that’s already beat up

Something cheap and used is probably the right answer for now with all of the other work you've got going on. And if it's cheap enough, you can probably sell it for what you paid later if you find a different dinghy you'd rather have instead.
Old 08-06-2023, 05:36   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Something cheap and used is probably the right answer for now with all of the other work you've got going on. And if it's cheap enough, you can probably sell it for what you paid later if you find a different dinghy you'd rather have instead.
100% agree. Trying to work something out with the caribe guy right now.

Most people talk about a dinghy like it is their car. A nice, reliable, sharp looking thing they can feel good going to dinner or pulling up to a dock in.

To me, it’s like that old pick up truck that’s kept in the yard that you use to move rocks around and haul cordwood. And that you also use to take garbage to the dump. You drop loads of dirt in it from a bucket loader that cause the wheels to rub the wheel wells. The bed is mangled.

It’s more like a work boat for me. No matter how Yachty I am, or the mother ship is, I destroy dinghies.
Old 08-06-2023, 05:51   #75

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Chotu,

I know you have a ton of work on the mothership, but I had a West Marine pru3 dinghy and the transom head delaminated. With a heat gun, and some MEK I took the wooden transom out, used it as a pattern, cut a whole new one, painted it and with two part cement re-glued the transom into the boat.

I then drilled out an epoxy the attachment points for the davits. That dingy continued to work great and at the 10-year mark, I bought an Achilles just because I thought it was time to get a new dinghy.

Always wishing you well,
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy