Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2022, 14:24   #1

Boat: 1980 Cal 39
Temporary diesel tank

Recently I had a spate of engine failures due to the crud in my diesel tank which resulted in me being towed. Since I am also unable to find a mooring in Miami that my 6’ draft can access coupled with the fact that there are lots of Snowbirds here for the season, my boat is anchored in Biscayne Bay unable to move. I need to wait until March 22nd for a boatyard to be able to lift me out so I can have the tank cleaned and also to perform some other tasks. I would feel a lot better if I could maneuver the boat when necessary rather than leave her to fate for the next 3+ weeks.
More than once I’ve had the idea of connecting a temporary fuel tank, thereby bypassing the crud. Some acquaintances also floated the idea. Yesterday I went out to the boat and scrutinized the hoses at the top of the permanent tank to see which hose I’d need to tap for use in the temp tank. I also checked the hoses at my Racor (secondary) filter. Due to the fact that I am unable to see where the 1/4” hose coming from the tank joins the 3/8” going into the Racor and I do not want to make too much of a major task out of this I thought I’d throw these ideas out there for some feedback.
1. I can probably access 14” or so of the 3/8 hose feeding the Racor from the tank so could cut that hose and adapt it to the 1/4” female fitting on the new plastic tank that I bought. I thought of fitting a primer bulb to that portion of hose too.
2. Since the temp tank is brand new, lacking any crud, can’t I skip the Racor and go straight to the line feeding the primary fuel pump? This would avoid the need to cut the other line.
I hope this hasn’t been too confusing but what are your thoughts on a temp solution. I uploaded two photos. One shows the black 1/4” lines on the top of my tank. The other shows red 3/8” line entering Racor filter. For reference my engine is a Perkins 4108.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02A60337-A145-4324-AF22-23053900FB4D.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	253666   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6446B84-3C24-4747-BC8C-D5C27134DC09.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	253667  

Cap Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 15:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Temporary diesel tank

This is what I have done several times on boats when I have encountered this problem.
Only difference being I used a 25L plastic jerry can, strapped it securely then ran a feed direct to the engine fuel filter and ran a return back into the jerry can.
Basically I drilled two holes in the cap to the diameter of the lines, fitted a dinghy style bulb in the feed line to ease priming to bleed air out of the system and it was good to go.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 15:49   #3

Re: Temporary diesel tank

Many years ago I ran on a temporary tank from Sandy Hook NJ to St Aug. A 5 gallon jug in the Qtr berth. Pickup line in , return line in, the rest of it as if it all went to the regular tank. Unless you are motoring for hours a few gallons will do.
Too easy.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 16:09   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Have experience installing temporary/day tanks as your describing.
Go directly to your # 2 choice to the fuel pump.
No need to cut any hoses. Remove hose, (can put bolt in hose and clamp hose not to lose fuel/prime).
Connect new hose directly to fuel pump. NO need to reroute return using temporary tank.
Fast, easy, basic to install/remove when reconnecting main tank.

This has made me think of the most interesting set up I had to jury rig
coming home after getting a little beat up and used up spare filters.
Cut the bottom out of a 2 liter coke bottle, duct taped it upside down to
rail, reran hose from fuel pump to coke bottle, put cheesecloth as filter in coke bottle and poured in diesel.
Happy I came in at night with no audience!
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 16:11   #5

Boat: Phantom 32

I've done this. Just remember the breather hole. I didn't, and after a couple of hours the plastic container looked like a prune
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 16:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Temporary diesel tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Have experience installing temporary/day tanks as your describing.
Go directly to your # 2 choice to the fuel pump.
No need to cut any hoses. Remove hose, (can put bolt in hose and clamp hose not to lose fuel/prime).
Connect new hose directly to fuel pump. NO need to reroute return using temporary tank.
Fast, easy, basic to install/remove when reconnecting main tank.
Problem with not re routing your return to the temporary tank is it just goes into your crud filled tank and you run out of fuel quicker. Re routing the return gives you more range and hours.
Agree with sealing off the main hose with bolt and clamp else you flood your bilge with diesel, unless you have an off tap.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 16:45   #7

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

[QUOTE=boatman61;3583072][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Problem with not re routing your return to the temporary tank is it just goes into your crud filled tank and you run out of fuel quicker. Re routing the return gives you more range and hours.

Correct you are if using motor for any time/distance, but maybe not needed if using motor to get to a yard/marina work dock/slip.
In any case easy to do, but maybe not for OP.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2022, 16:54   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

[QUOTE=hugosalt;3583089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Problem with not re routing your return to the temporary tank is it just goes into your crud filled tank and you run out of fuel quicker. Re routing the return gives you more range and hours.

Correct you are if using motor for any time/distance, but maybe not needed if using motor to get to a yard/marina work dock/slip.
In any case easy to do, but maybe not for OP.
Years ago we measured the fuel quantity being returned to the tank. It was 7 gals and hour. Not rigging a return line caused us to run out of fuel.
Old 26-02-2022, 18:03   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

^ been there, done that. Duuuh!
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel