Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48   #16

Boat: 1974 Cal 2-46
Re: Tenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
I have my heart set on a Portland Pudgy. Well worth a look before deciding... https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/portland-pudgy
I thought those were neat too!

Anyone have experience with them?
jillf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillf View Post
I thought those were neat too!

Anyone have experience with them?
A friend of mine visited them recently while in Portland and had great things to say. It's more than I paid for my boat if you add all those desirable options and a Torqueedo as I do. Dodger has to come first. Getting it done off season :-)
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:19   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

I was really hot for a Pudgy many years ago. But there’s no way I could ever carry one, nor afford one.

Cool boats though...
Old 01-11-2017, 10:45   #19
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

Firstly disclaimer - I never ever used my inflatable floor tender when cruising the UK (Marinas only) and now that I am boatless, my comments maybe worthless, but I did see at my local marina (and at Southampton Boat Show) a foldable RIB - F-RIB iirc. Depending on how often you use it it could solve your storage issues, whilst still being a hard bottom? Worth a google at least.
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 13:04   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Also FYI, I have tried many methods of lifting with halyard; and I generally think its best to lift the dinghy in a vertical position from its bow eye. It's a 2-person operation (one on the winch) but generally it's easier to control the dinghy from below when you only need to deal with the stern cross-section and you can maneuver it right-side up or down as you please while lowering (as opposed to lifting it horizontally on slings, and having to flip it after you place it down).
I stow/deploy mine on the foredeck single-handed using a block and tackle (luff tackle rig) and 3/8" line. Could have gone to two-fold purchase but it would have been a lot more rope involved. The luff tackle allows me to hold the dinghy hoisted with one hand, which is all I really need.

I snap it on to a spin halyard, raise the halyard about 12' from the coach roof and secure it, then use the tackle to raise and lower the dinghy from the bow eye. With the dinghy hanging vertical it's easy for me to maneuver it one handed (the other hand holding the tackle line), fending it off the side of the boat and positioning it to lower it bottom up on the coachroof or in reverse to lift it and lower it over the side.

Just to put a finer point on Dockhead's mention of size. An 11' RIB is going to be remarkably more seaworthy and capacious compared to a 9'6" RIB. If you expect to be taking it on longer jaunts to snorkeling grounds, or crossing miles of water, get the longest dinghy that is practical for your boat.

I have a Yamaha 8hp two banger for my 9'6" rib. Gets two people and groceries up on a plane and can handle light chop. It's a handful to wrangle up onto the mothership however. I agree that 30 kilos (@ 65 lbs.) is about the heaviest you want to go for an engine if you don't have a crane. Anything heavier than that would be a real struggle getting from the dinghy to the deck without a) dropping it in the water b) dropping it and yourself in the water, or c) banging up your boat.

I mention that because engine size is related to dinghy size, so you need to solve them together based on room for stowage and whether you have a crane or not.

I'm probably going to invest in a much smaller engine for any occasion where I don't need to go any great distance as it would be entirely more manageable.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 21:46   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
Hi everyone I'm about to buy my first tender. I don't have Davits so I have to keep it on deck on my Beneteau first 41s5. Decision time, rib with aluminium or fibreglass hull or air deck with inflatable hull. I really like the Whaly plastic boats but they are heavy and I think I would then need Davits. What would you buy in my position?
Don't know what I'd buy in your position, but there is an alternative that hasn't yet been mentioned: a nesting dinghy. The ones I've seen are made out of plywood, and some are also glassed in and out. This, of course, would be primarily a rowing dinghy--it's good exercise--but some of them can have a small o/b. There are building plans around, Google is your friend.

It really depends on how you want to use it.

We used an airfloor dinghy for a while. Imo, you give up a lot of space for the floor, and they are very vulnerable to fuel spills; another failure mode is the floor herniating.

We had a soft floor hypalon Zodiac, a long time ago, it was 13 ft. long, and when we let the air out and rolled it up, it was still pretty big. That one, the floorboards and their channels were stowed below, and the elephant skin, in front of the dodger.

Our current choice was the largest RIB we could fit between the mast and the baby stay.

There are many options. But if you want to use the dinghy for exploring at a distance from the mother ship, imo, you do need a large, competent dinghy, with an o/b that will plane it with 4 aboard. It's a real nuisance, imho, if you have guests, and have to creep along because you don't have enough freeboard or hp.

Ann
Old 02-11-2017, 08:52   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The fun option would be the small zapcat type of inflatable, its only about 3.5m and with a small engine could be a right hoot. Not cheap though.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 15:22   #23

Same vein as Pete7 I can recommend the Takacat. Everyone told us we had to go Highfield or FRIB to get optimum tracking and lightness, but we took a risk and are delighted. The Takacat (and probably other inflatable catamarans) are lighter than mono counterparts, track just as well, are drier and very stable. They need less horsepower/ effort to propel as there is less drag. For the record we use a torqueedo 1003 on a 3.6m Takacat, an unheard of power:length ratio with a mono rib and petrol outboard. Worth a look, as hauling out is going to be such a big factor in your decision.
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 21:29   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
Same vein as Pete7 I can recommend the Takacat. Everyone told us we had to go Highfield or FRIB to get optimum tracking and lightness, but we took a risk and are delighted. The Takacat (and probably other inflatable catamarans) are lighter than mono counterparts, track just as well, are drier and very stable. They need less horsepower/ effort to propel as there is less drag. For the record we use a torqueedo 1003 on a 3.6m Takacat, an unheard of power:length ratio with a mono rib and petrol outboard. Worth a look, as hauling out is going to be such a big factor in your decision.
I respectfully disagree. It didn't hold up to day to day use, air floor didn't last, transom came unglued, towing ring started tearing off within weeks, it's not drier than my rib, it's not as good in choppy stuff due to flat bottom. It's easy to drive (less power) is exaggerated.
I liked the idea but the reality of day to day use proved it unsuitable for full time liveaboard cruising. I had the hypalon model. Compared to hypalon Rib, it was a disappointment.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 21:32   #25

I carry 2 outboards. I use the little 3.5hp tohatsu a majority of the time, it's just easy. For going distance, diving or if weather isn't great I use the 15hp. It's great having the option.
Also a good set of wheels is very important, not all wheels are created equal.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:24   #26

Daletournier. V interesting re the Takacat as so far from my own experience. Are you sure it was an original? There are copies, and your experience is about as close to total failure as is possible. They do not sound like the same product. No* wonder you changed. I think I put more thought into choosing the tender/outboard combo than any other single item on the boat.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:55   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I respectfully disagree. It didn't hold up to day to day use, air floor didn't last, transom came unglued, towing ring started tearing off within weeks, it's not drier than my rib, it's not as good in choppy stuff due to flat bottom. It's easy to drive (less power) is exaggerated.
I liked the idea but the reality of day to day use proved it unsuitable for full time liveaboard cruising. I had the hypalon model. Compared to hypalon Rib, it was a disappointment.
Oh now isn't that a shame because it looked an interesting option. Which make did you have? Even we might be able to store this on deck.

Pete

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
Daletournier. V interesting re the Takacat as so far from my own experience. Are you sure it was an original? There are copies, and your experience is about as close to total failure as is possible. They do not sound like the same product. No* wonder you changed. I think I put more thought into choosing the tender/outboard combo than any other single item on the boat.
Hi, yes definitely a genuine Takacat purchased 2012 or 2013? Can't remember the model, I've attached a photo of it below, this was taken 2015 in the Philippines.

I must say the guy I dealt with in New Zealand seemed like a nice guy, I don't enjoy criticising his product.

The initial problem was the air floor, it just wasn't upto the task, it developed several small holes. Since my model they have improved the floor, it's now made out of the same stuff as a SUP.

The transom couldn't handle the 8hp yamaha, this may of been due to the bad floor not supporting the transom. It was coming unglued from the tubes. This resulted in the transom trying to tuck under the dinghy as well as allowing the plywood to absorb the water.

My problem with the product was I paided alot of money for the Hypalon version, had to buy a new floor (discounted price, but I believe it should of been free) and then spent another $900 in Phuket getting a new transom put on, tow ring and a couple of other bits repaired.

The Takacat was used every day as I'm a full time liveaboard, but I was having problems in the first year, it just wasn't up to it.

The new ones maybe better, I don't know. I have no problem with the design although I prefer a Rib.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150423_194259.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	158781  
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58   #29

Also, 8hp is max for the 2.6m so, as you say, if there was a weakness in the structure it probably couldn't handle the engine.

I love mine with the torqueedo as the whole thing - 3.4m + engine.is less than 50kg, but it is used for shore and back/excursions. I am not sure I would use one as a dive boat either. But the original poster did not say, and put weight, portability and collapsibility high on their priorities. On that basis they definity have their place.

Great picture by the way - where was it taken?
Old 04-11-2017, 13:15   #30

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

If you will be 'living' at anchor, you'll probably be travelling in your tender more than the mother ship.

My boat came with a flat slatted floor tender. It was rubbish. It couldn't be rowed and wanted to fold in two under the power of my mighty 2.5hp engine.

I wanted a rib, but was concerned about weight and size. In the end I bought an air floor tender with v-keel. It's a great tender for the money, but I'm not happy with the width of it, and you loose a lot of depth due to the inflatable keel and floor. It rows well, though and at 30 something kg is just about light enough.

All PVC tenders are going fail at the seams over time if exposed to UV light. With Ribs, you can often by 'chaps' just covering the inflatable portions. These don't seem exist for other tenders.

When I come to buy again, I will pay the extra and get a good Rib, I think it's worth it in the long run. I don't have davits either and never deflate my tender if on a passage of less than a 5 days, so it can be a pain to keep it when sailing. After 4 months I still haven't found the perfect solution.

Now, a bit of fun.

When anochored in Mahon which is a good mile or so from the actual city, I saw a cat turn up. I thought nothing of it until the owner got his tender out and saw that it was another catamaran. This thing had some speed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unfortunately they are mad -crazy expensive, but cool.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender