Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 21:09   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Tenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
Also, 8hp is max for the 2.6m so, as you say, if there was a weakness in the structure it probably couldn't handle the engine.

I love mine with the torqueedo as the whole thing - 3.4m + engine.is less than 50kg, but it is used for shore and back/excursions. I am not sure I would use one as a dive boat either. But the original poster did not say, and put weight, portability and collapsibility high on their priorities. On that basis they definity have their place.

Great picture by the way - where was it taken?
Top of Mindanao Philippines by memory.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:20   #32

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

My first tender was an inflatable, then I went to a Porta-bote, and now we use a Portland Pudgy. The inflatable boats have many advantages, which is probably why they are so popular. Our mates like to explore in their inflatable with it's big gas motor, so they scoff at us in our small, heavy, and slow Pudgy.

The Porta-bote is lightweight, folds to the size of a surfboard, and is unsinkable, but in a filled with water sort of way; it worked very well for us pushed by a Lehr propane motor.

The Pudgy is a great little boat with all sorts of nifty features, including a sail kit. I especially like the fact that it can be used as a lifeboat capable of self-rescue. We're planning to stop paying the high cost of recertification on our life raft and rely on the Pudgy. We drive it with a Torqeedo electric motor. So far it's been completely reliable, but it lacks the speed and range many people require.

I don't think there's a perfect tender, but we use ours only for going ashore from anchor, so the Pudgy does that job very well.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:36   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
My first tender was an inflatable, then I went to a Porta-bote, and now we use a Portland Pudgy. The inflatable boats have many advantages, which is probably why they are so popular. Our mates like to explore in their inflatable with it's big gas motor, so they scoff at us in our small, heavy, and slow Pudgy.

The Porta-bote is lightweight, folds to the size of a surfboard, and is unsinkable, but in a filled with water sort of way; it worked very well for us pushed by a Lehr propane motor.

The Pudgy is a great little boat with all sorts of nifty features, including a sail kit. I especially like the fact that it can be used as a lifeboat capable of self-rescue. We're planning to stop paying the high cost of recertification on our life raft and rely on the Pudgy. We drive it with a Torqeedo electric motor. So far it's been completely reliable, but it lacks the speed and range many people require.

I don't think there's a perfect tender, but we use ours only for going ashore from anchor, so the Pudgy does that job very well.

Fair winds,

Leo
I was on the same track as you Leo. I started with various inflatables. They are great, but I wanted something I could row and stow more easily. I really liked the idea of the high-pressure floor approach, but there were (are?) too many negative reviews.

I was really hot on getting a Pudgy, but I just can’t see how I could store it on my deck without it being seriously in the way. Our 37’ cutter just doesn’t have the foredeck space. Plus, the cost was/is very high.

This is how I ended up with a 10’ portabote. It is relatively lightweight (I can hoist/launch it by hand). And I can assemble/disassemble on deck in a few minutes. It carries a large load. It rows well, and only needs a small engine to motor well. I can store it on deck without it interfering with anything. Plus, it is darn near indestructible, and even has a sail rig for playing around.

Some people find them to feel unstable, and it’s true they feel quite different than an inflatable. But anyone who is used to a paddle boat (canoe, kayak, SUP) will be used to the feel.

As with all things, a portabote is not for everyone. But for my uses it has been an excellent tender.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:07   #34

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I was on the same track as you Leo.
Hi Mike, Sounds like we share the dinghy experiences.

The Pudgy is a brilliant design, but heavy, too heavy to easily launch from the foredeck. My first idea was to secure it on the swim platform of our Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 with the Weaver davits, but the Pudgy would be too low for a heeling sailboat. I ended up with a pair of Garhauer davits, so my all-in price went up even more. The davit harness is way over-priced at $400.00, but holds the Pudgy quite firmly against the mother ship, even in 12' seas, as my trip to Cuba can attest. When it's time to replace the harness, we'll make it ourselves.

The pros: Unsinkable; can be used as a lifeboat, especially with the exposure canopy and sea anchor. Robust; no leaks. Lots of waterproof compartments for survival gear. Sail kit and oars store inside one of the compartments. Built-in compass. Adjustable seat positions and easy to row with adequate oarlocks. Runs nicely with the recommended Torqeedo motor. High freeboard; if you turn the Pudgy over, after righting, it comes up pretty dry. Many accessories.

The cons: Cost, but if you feel you can ditch your life raft, maybe actually cheaper. Many accessories; yeah, I know, it's both pro and con. Weight; it's a heavy boat and maybe not a good idea for the foredeck.

One note on the lifeboat function; I'm not at all sure I could launch and board the Pudgy in storm conditions; it just seems to me a life raft would be less of a challenge, but I hope to never have to find out.

I still have my Porta-bote, the smallest model, and like it very much, but it's not suitable as a lifeboat.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender