Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 14:46   #31

Boat: Nordship 808
Re: Tesla Electric Yacht unveiled...

Seems legit ...
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 15:30   #32

first wind makes some great points, but this is so silly, thinking you can power this boat with a small PV panel or recover 100% of the energy as is implied. There are boats, such as the J/88 OceanVolt, that effectively use solar, but when you play so fast and loose with science, it annoys the hell out of geeks like me. So keep dreaming, imagining, and inventing. That's the only way we move forward. Warp 9!
Buckanear Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 16:15   #33

Yes, Einstein was an idiot, and the laws of thermodynamics are bogus. Just believe and it will become reality. I have a better ideal: Tulips. Invest in tulips.Otherwise, I got some south seas investments that might interest you.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 16:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylours View Post
it's a good you guys aren't the visionaries of the world or we would still be using Loran C and typewriters
There are visionaries and there are scammers. Most of the time on the forefront of technology there are scammers.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 17:00   #35

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
...and of course, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. we all know that....except that nuclear reactions violate that 'law'...
No nuclear reactions do not vilolate "that law" (conservation of mass and energy).

If you want to know why, read on, but I guess the following will bore you to death

The p-p chain reaction in our sun, which shows that that Einstein's famous E=mc^2 is correct demonstrates the equivalence between matter and energy.

Adding energy to particles - that is, increasing their velocity and thus temperature - makes them more massive. Conversely, certain subatomic reactions (such as the mutual annihilation of an electron and positron can release tremendous amounts of energy by eliminating an equivalent amount of matter.

In the standard fusion reaction in stars and exploited by us humans only in H-bombs, two different isotopes of hydrogen - one containing one neutron and one proton, the other containing two neutrons and one proton - are slammed into each other at sufficient energy to produce a helium nucleus containing two neutrons and two protons. The leftover neutron is emitted. From this simple explanation, mass would seem to be conserved (3N, 2P in; 3N, 2P out).

There is also an interesting aspect in relation to the mass of a proton and the mass of a neutron.

Neutron = 1.674927351×10^−27 kg or 939.565 4133 MeV
Proton = 1.672621898 x 10^-27 kg or 938.272 0813 MeV
Positron = 9.109x10^-31 kg or 0.5109989 MeV
Neutrino = 5.7045181024 × 10^-37 kg or 0.320±0.081 eV

In the first step of the pp-chain two protons smashing into each other, losing mass (positron and neutrino) but gaining mass by changing one proton into a slightly “heavier” neutron. The mass ratio between proton and neutron is

m_p/m_n =(1.672621898x10^-27kg)/(1.674927351x10^-27kg)=0.998623550449

So, where is this mass gain coming from? To understand this we have to have a closer look at the β+ decay, which requires energy and therefore can only occur inside a nuclei. In the pp-chain a _2^2He nucleus with an atomic mass of 4.002602(±0.000002)u decays into a deuterium _1^2D nucleus with an atomic mass of 2.01410177785u.

A single proton can never undergo β+ decay, which also only occurs when the resulting nucleus has lower total energy (=greater binding force) than the original nucleus. The energy difference is used in the reaction of transforming a proton into a neutron (mass gain), a positron and a neutrino plus the kinetic energy of all of those particles.

But in fact the mass of the newly created He nucleus is less than the sum of the masses of neutrons and protons that went into it. The missing mass has been converted to energy; that energy is carried by the fast neutron emitted in the reaction.

Thus neither mass nor energy, if they are considered strictly separately, are conserved in a fusion reaction. But the sum of mass and energy, which in relativistic physics is called rest-mass and is what the law of conservation of energy applies to, is absolutely conserved.
Old 14-01-2017, 17:16   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Yes, Einstein was an idiot, and the laws of thermodynamics are bogus. Just believe and it will become reality. I have a better ideal: Tulips. Invest in tulips.Otherwise, I got some south seas investments that might interest you.
Are you talking about buying a time share on a new island in the South China sea?
Old 14-01-2017, 17:17   #37

Boat: TBD

We can dream... Personally I would love to see hybrid power on sailboats; use electrical power and supplement it with diesel that drives a generator to recharge the batteries just like the submarines of WW2.
Old 14-01-2017, 17:21   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racoon1960 View Post
We can dream... Personally I would love to see hybrid power on sailboats; use electrical power and supplement it with diesel that drives a generator to recharge the batteries just like the submarines of WW2.
Look at the Alibi 54 Alibi Catamarans | Innovative Catamarans Manufacturer . They are using hybrid drive-trains and other very innovative technologies in their boats.
Old 14-01-2017, 19:01   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Look at the Alibi 54 Alibi Catamarans | Innovative Catamarans Manufacturer . They are using hybrid drive-trains and other very innovative technologies in their boats.
Un-believable !
I want one
Racoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 21:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racoon View Post
Un-believable !
I want one
Here is one for sale

2015 Alibi 54 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - au.yachtworld.com
Old 14-01-2017, 22:29   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

• It's probably some student's graphic design exercise, with no intention of actually making anything real from it
  • Tesla had nothing to do with this
  • You people getting excited about electric drives??? Where have you been? Electric drive is old news
  • The stupid things about this "design" are:
    • The tiny solar panel, which is barely adequate to keep the batteries from going flat while the boat is parked in the slip
    • The turbine generator, powered by the boats motion through the water. The generator creates more drag than power -- that's a proven law of physics and wishful thinking isn't going to change that.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 01:29   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I googled "Tesla Model Y", to see what Tesla was saying about this ... but the Model Y is a car, not a yacht.

So I googled the designer of this "boat", and sure enough this was just some student project by someone at a design college in New Delhi. Add the name "Tesla" to some pictures of a bar and watch the internet go mad.

Nothing to do with Tesla at all - let alone boat design, engineering or the laws of physics.
Actually Tesla was a physicist who did a lot of the key development with electric power generation, specifically alternating current.

The company that usurped his name has nothing to do with Tesla. They don't even use alternating current.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 01:38   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racoon1960 View Post
Why do you want hybrid power?

To many people ask for the latest cool thing without understanding why they should or should not want it.

Hybrid works well on a passenger car because peak power is typically needed for a few seconds to accelerate up to cruising speed, then power needs to hold cruising speed are much lower. In city driving, the result is wild swings in the amount of power required. Hybrids can smooth the power demand from the engine out allowing for a smaller engine held at an efficient power output.

On a cruising boat, the typical operation is 10-20seconds to get up to cruising speed and then the motor sits at that power output for hours. Engine sizing is not based on the power needed to accelerate but to hold a steady speed against adverse wind/current. A hybrid doesn't work well in that situation because the battery portion quickly runs down and then you are drastically underpowered.
Old 15-01-2017, 03:57   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Why do you want hybrid power?

To many people ask for the latest cool thing without understanding why they should or should not want it.

Hybrid works well on a passenger car because peak power is typically needed for a few seconds to accelerate up to cruising speed, then power needs to hold cruising speed are much lower. In city driving, the result is wild swings in the amount of power required. Hybrids can smooth the power demand from the engine out allowing for a smaller engine held at an efficient power output.

On a cruising boat, the typical operation is 10-20seconds to get up to cruising speed and then the motor sits at that power output for hours. Engine sizing is not based on the power needed to accelerate but to hold a steady speed against adverse wind/current. A hybrid doesn't work well in that situation because the battery portion quickly runs down and then you are drastically underpowered.
There are people on this planet who do not accept the status quo and are asking the right questions. Those are called dreamers, idealists, entrepreneurs, scientists, researcher and so on.

The Alibi 54 is realty. The cat is a innovative hybrid yacht that works great today and is definitely not under-powered.

The Energy Observer is another interesting project, developing technologies for the future. .: Energy Observer :. or here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Observer
Old 15-01-2017, 04:06   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
There are people on this planet who do not accept the status quo and are asking the right questions. Those are called dreamers, idealists, entrepreneurs, scientists, researcher and so on.

The Alibi 54 is realty. The cat is a innovative hybrid yacht that works great today and is definitely not under-powered.

The Energy Observer is another interesting project, developing technologies for the future. .: Energy Observer :. or here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Observer

"Dreamers, idealists, entrepreneurs, scientists, researcher and so on"...that's great but "asking the right questions" is exactly my point. "Hybrid" has a nice ring to it even if you haven't got a clue what I does. Those who make things happen ask the hard questions. Just having enough "hope and dreams" doesn't make new technology happen.

Certainly you can make a hybrid that isn't underpowered but then you lose on efficiency and/or cost and/or weight or some other criteria.

Until we know what you are trying to accomplish, you can't say it works great. Once we get someone to admit what they thought they could do with hybrid on a displacement cruising boat, it usually shows up as having major draw backs as the typical use pattern with cruising boats does not benefit from a hybrid propulsion system.

So I say again: What are you trying to accomplish?

PS: took a look at the alibi site. They have a 110hp gen set powering a pair of 55hp electric motors along with a large LI battery bank. It will certainly work and for a light boat with skinny hulls seems reasonable compared to similar size boats with straight diesels but I expect it's much heavier (bad on a boat focused on performance) and much more expensive (maybe not a big deal on a multimillion dollar boat). For propulsion it's heavy and adds inefficiency and for house loads it's going to be a handicap as the generator will be very inefficient being massively oversized. Other than the "cool factor" of having the ability to say it's a hybrid. Looks like an extra $50k over just a pair of straight 55hp diesels and a 10kw generator to have a boat that performs worse.

Tags
electric, yacht