Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2022, 20:45   #106
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Re: Test Results: Starlink on a Sailboat Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I'm wondering if the device has to be "activated" at the official location it was ordered at. It sounds like you ordered yours delivered to your marina, and you activated it on your boat, then you brought it to your home and used it there also. I have heard many accounts of people who have it delivered to one place, and activate it there, and then bring it someplace else, without problem.

I'm trying to find out if I order it using a family members address, in another part of the country, if I have to get them to activate it there, or if I can have them ship it to me and activate it where I am?

Any idea?
Thanks!!
You don’t need to activate at the registered address. My dish has never been to its registered address :-)
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 21:53   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee 52, Lancer 39, Paradox 14
Test Results: Starlink on a Sailboat Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post

The idea with the Ethernet adapter is interesting! I thought about it too but I wasn't sure if I could make it work. The funky thing about Starlink's proprietary adapters is that they can carry two ethernet signals. The ones that come with the normal set don't use it but apparently the ethernet adapter does. So I wonder if you will find twice the number of wires if you cut the cable from the ethernet adapter to Starlink router…

Tenedos,
You are spot on! This https://olegkutkov.me/2022/03/07/rev...ernet-adapter/ article confirms the starlink Ethernet adapter cable contains two sets of Ethernet wires and shows the 20-pin connector wiring diagram.
It should still be possible to connect the adapter to a poe injector by terminating the correct pairs of wires, but the custom router would then need to plug into the data-input of the poe injector (not into the Ethernet adaptor) using the custom cable you illustrated. Thanks for pointing this out!
Seafarer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 22:03   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee 52, Lancer 39, Paradox 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by southatlantic View Post

I guess one advantage that Iridium is likely to retain for a while (in addition to being able function offshore) is that we can take it into the liferaft if worst comes to worst…

Agreed. For ocean crossings, an “InReach”, or “Iridium Go” device with the minimum cost subscription would go well with Starlink for backup/emergency use.
Seafarer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:17   #109

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I'm wondering if the device has to be "activated" at the official location it was ordered at. It sounds like you ordered yours delivered to your marina, and you activated it on your boat, then you brought it to your home and used it there also. I have heard many accounts of people who have it delivered to one place, and activate it there, and then bring it someplace else, without problem.

I'm trying to find out if I order it using a family members address, in another part of the country, if I have to get them to activate it there, or if I can have them ship it to me and activate it where I am?

Any idea?
Thanks!!
Yes - I didn't know if it had to be activated within the registered location or not. Plus, I wanted to see what service would be like at the marina once my boat arrives from the UK.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 15:50   #110

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole View Post
Iridium and Inmarsat should be getting nervous. Either of those products will be like being a Video Store owner when streaming arrived.

Inmarsat, maybe, but Iridium is a fundamentally different product. It's a low power, low datarate and phone service. StarLink will never service a handset, for example. It's also for things like those Garmin InReach devices. Products like InReach will probably go away, but that is a very small part of their business. Most of their business is in the Machine-to-Machine/IoT space.

Also, on top of this, is significant government contracts.

It's also why ViaSat Exede and the like won't disappear just because StarLink is available.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 22:02   #111
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

A few days ago Starlink announced roaming/portability. They now charge $25/month for roaming. But there are more important limitations:

Quote:
Best Effort Service: Portability service is provided on a best effort basis. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of services are not guaranteed. Starlink prioritizes network resources for users at their registered service address. When you bring your Starlink to a new location, this prioritization may result in degraded service, particularly at times of peak usage or network congestion.

International Travel: Starlink can only be used within the same continent as the registered Service Address. If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you will be required to move your registered service address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain service.

No In-Motion Use: We do not support Starlink use in motion at this time. Using the Starlink Kit in motion will void the limited warranty of your Kit. While our teams are actively working to make it possible to use Starlink on moving vehicles (e.g., automobiles, RVs, boats), Starlink is not yet configured to be safely used in this way.
The biggest deal in my opinion is the 2 month limit for international travel. I hope this improves. Considering other satellite providers offer global service, I am not sure why Starlink makes a limitation.
Old 08-05-2022, 22:21   #112

Boat: Rafiki 37

Maybe because it would count as a telecom provider perhaps and bring them into conflict with whatever country you are in laws around that?
Old 09-05-2022, 03:08   #113

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

Keep in mind that this is the first big salvo in the "satellite internet" land rush. Amazon's Project Kuiper is looking to put up about 1600 satellites over the next few years. OneWeb is still saying they are going to make their system happen.
Also, some startups are looking to use MEO's advantages instead of massive numbers of LEO satellites. This is in addition to all of the legacy companies that will have to adapt (a much longer discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of geosync vs LEO vs MEO.)
Here's one of the many articles aboout Kuiper/Amazon - https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...02db7384cd9b1b
The land (space?) grab is really getting underway.
Here's one of the more interesting startups - https://www.mangatanetworks.com/?msc...204e25e634f6f0
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:40   #114
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The battle between terrestrial providers and sat providers will be interesting to see from a regulatory perspective. Iridium had some significant issues getting approvals
Old 09-05-2022, 07:06   #115

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

is there no place we can go to escape the internet ?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 07:16   #116

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
You can choose not to take it with you. But for those of us still stuck working to fund our adventures, it's often a choice of "figure out a way to have internet in X place or we can't go to X place unless we can take enough time off work"
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 14:35   #117
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I would be perfectly happy with a satellite based bridged Ethernet with no external connections at all, just terminal to terminal connectivity.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 23:59   #118
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

That’s like saying you need to escape the air. !!!
Old 10-05-2022, 01:35   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
I wonder what our parents did, to fight boredom, before the internet… I asked my 18 brothers and sisters, and they didn't know either.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:08   #120

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Well, apparently not your boat as you're posting here
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat