Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2021, 15:25   #16

Re: Thanks to those who recommended dingy sailing for beginners

Of course sailing small dinghy style boats or small cats is exhilarating and you learn a lot quickly.
However they evade the real "joys" of .... wait for it .... antifouling, insurance, staggering depreciation, a mess of electronics that have the lifetime of a gnat, hernia type anchors, smelly diesel engines, back breaking sanding, sheet winches that cost more than a small dinghy, surveyors etc.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 15:36   #17

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Dinghy sailing-- most often on my C&C 40, (40ft sailboat), my best crew were FJ, Laser, C15, Snipe, Lido, Star or Hobie sailors.
Fun!
You have some really good sailors at Carlisle Sailing Association. Some have been very serious racers-- I recently bought a Snipe that was previously owned by one of the members who competively raced it who also raced on some famous Transpac boats beating race to Hawaii records.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 16:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
Dinghy sailing-- most often on my C&C 40, (40ft sailboat), my best crew were FJ, Laser, C15, Snipe, Lido, Star or Hobie sailors.
Fun!
You have some really good sailors at Carlisle Sailing Association. Some have been very serious racers-- I recently bought a Snipe that was previously owned by one of the members who competively raced it who also raced on some famous Transpac boats beating race to Hawaii records.
Yes, I was very impressed with the knowledge of the instructors and members, and the club had a really great community atmosphere.

We watched the monohull recovery drill run by one of the club members who I think is quite a racer. He was sailing a 14’ monohull around between two docks that were maybe 40 feet apart while talking to all of us about the process. It was really something. He clearly had total and effortless on control of the boat. I would never have imagined someone could have kept a boat moving in that space without hitting a dock, doing figure 8s and loops, even with full concentration.
ttcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 00:38   #19
cruiser

I love your style.
My cruising boat is a Hobie18.
Reefable underway, furling headsail, large volume bows. She's a big dinghy capable of carrying provisions and a very sea kindly vessel.

On trailer I have a mast holder fore and aft. I bought extra metal tube to make solo derigging during gale an ability. Instead of hoisting, lowering in one go, I can keep a hoist on the square side of tension.

If you find a trailered Hobie18 and want a quick fix for easy rigging, PM me and I'll send a few pics.

Currently doing my best to change my cats for a 42 foot longkeel cruiser; fin or filled in doesn't matter so much. Same basic principles thou, let the leverages do the work.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:54   #20
cruiser

Being a single male on same thoughts of relearning sail afew years using a small cat(s), ironically this was my cruising rig.
Ironical because house fire tore through my belongings, the boats were relocated during rebuild but I've never sailed that boat, only sailing the Hobie.
Van has bunk, cruising set. Aimed at racing nationals to build sailing lessons prior larger liveaboard cruising.

Smaller cats such as Paper Tiger have great sea ability plus a highly tunable mainsail set up but might be to small for a couple. Advantages being getting back up when over.
I shopped for internet specials, didn't pay much. Loads of cats down this way in 14-20 foot range. Saw a same set up with a Hobie 16 driving highway. Long keel, shallow water ease.
Loving lifestyle too sir.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_104538.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	239890  
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:13   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

I am glad the OP got started.

But the day sailor route isn't some kind of requirement. Other than a little beach cat while of vacation I have ever anything less than 33'and had first first boat, a 39', with only 3 months weekend sailing after lessons.

Just saying there are a few ways to get going. Pick one and do it.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcbj View Post
My wife and I are novice sailors interested in chartering and cruising, but several threads on this forum in response to similar plans recommended starting with a 'dingy.' Were it not for those posts, we probably would have started with a 7-day cruising catamaran course. I thought a 'dingy' sounded kind of boring/lame.

Instead, we spent the last 3 days taking a sailing course through the Carlyle Sailing Association in southern Illinois. We were on Hobie 18s, and it was absolutely awesome. We had so much fun!

I now understand why you would want to learn on a dingy:
Rigging
You rig the boat yourself, so it's a chance to learn some of the basic terminology.
"Direct-Experience" Sailing
Everything about the wind and controls is immediate and relatively simple, you can really feel how the boat and sails react to your actions.
Teamwork and Practice
It has a jib, so you can get used to working with a teammate/crew. You can tack/jibe as often as you want, so you can get lots of practice quickly.
Dumping and Recovery
We even practiced dumping/recovering the boats, which really took the fear out of tipping over.
FUN
And, most important, it is super, super fun! When you are close hauled and the wind is strong, you can really feel the windward hull lift (not out of the water, in our case, but you can feel it come up). One boat we were on had wings, or seats out over the water, which felt like you were flying when going upwind. Several members at the club use "traps" during races, which seems like it would take the flying sensation to the next level. It was exhilarating!

We plan to race (primarily because it will drive learning) and day-sail with our kids.

Thanks to the advice on this forum, we are really excited about this as a family hobby!
Based on the bolded headings, look at the list of stuff that you're already immersed in... right on!

In the immortal words of Arthur (Dudley Moore): "Isn't fun the best thing to have?"

Fair, Fair winds to ttcbj and fam!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:45   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Thanks to those who recommended dingy sailing for beginners

Forget about Hobie's and Prindles...
Buy yourself one of these.. great little boats and a large version even circumnavigated and others have sailed the Artic Siberian coast and across to Alaska... added benefit is you can carry it on your big boat when you get one and use it as a tender or just fun while anchored up for a while off some exotic isle..

https://www.minicatamaran.eu/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hero24.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	458.0 KB
ID:	239891  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 15:47   #24

Well, to close the loop on this thread, I ended up purchasing a Hobie 18SX, which I intend to sail in races, and also for fun with the family, on Lake Carlyle in Illinois. I am really looking forward to it!

I paid $4k for it (including the trailer) and immediately went out and spent $800 to replace all the standing rigging, but still much cheaper than a re-fit on a Bluewater cat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hobie_18_sx.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	241258  
ttcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 16:07   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Of course sailing small dinghy style boats or small cats is exhilarating and you learn a lot quickly.
However they evade the real "joys" of .... wait for it .... antifouling, insurance, staggering depreciation, a mess of electronics that have the lifetime of a gnat, hernia type anchors, smelly diesel engines, back breaking sanding, sheet winches that cost more than a small dinghy, surveyors etc.
More good reasons to own a sailing dinghy/beach cat...and make friends with people who own bigger boats!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 16:07   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcbj View Post
Well, to close the loop on this thread, I ended up purchasing a Hobie 18SX, which I intend to sail in races, and also for fun with the family, on Lake Carlyle in Illinois. I am really looking forward to it!

I paid $4k for it (including the trailer) and immediately went out and spent $800 to replace all the standing rigging, but still much cheaper than a re-fit on a Bluewater cat.
Woo-hoo!

VEDDY niiice!

Congrats on your new boat and - fair winds!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 08:59   #27

Hooray! OP is one of us!

I learned on a dinghy. Taught others how to sail on dinghies. Always recommend people start out on dinghies. It doesn't take many lessons before you feel reasonably confident and competent, which encourages further sailing.

The whole world is yours. Go grab it!
miketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 09:25   #28

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

i always cringe when i hear others say to newbeez "If you want a 40' cat, learn on a 40'cat." Bad advice. i grew up sailing an 11' dinghy and they teach instinctive reactions. Big boats are easy to sail after a dinghy, except for all the strings.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 19:30   #29

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
This thread should be a sticky that we can point newbies to!
I'll second that motion.
Old 30-06-2021, 22:35   #30

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Start racing , preferably against others in the same class.
Learn about sail trim and what makes them go.

Pretty much anyone can learn to sail.
Very few can actually sail fast.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sail, sailing