Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 18:41   #1

Boat: 1964 Chris Craft Sail Yacht 35'
The Bahamas, giving back and doing volunteer work??

This has been something I have thought about for a while and the devastation we see in the Bahamas gets me thinking about it more. Are there people out there in the cruising world who work with legitimate volunteer organizations? I have family who travel via motor home and do things with Nomads. Are there organizations that help sailors get placed in areas that need some able bodies who want to help?? Thanks Mike.
miked40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 20:15   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: The Bahamas, giving back and doing volunteer work??

Having been through quite a few hurricanes growing up in Florida and having to get a roof replaced after Hurricane Michael last year, the best time to help is when everyone forgets about how long it actually takes to rebuild. Right now, most of the efforts are focused on search and rescue/recovery and on bringing food and water to people, many of whom might have nothing left. Managing volunteers at these early stages can be really difficult on the aid organizations. My recommendation is to offer funds now and provide re-building support later once the most critical life-saving needs have been addressed. There are many reputable organizations out there who need different things and will let you know. Easy to find them with a quick Google search. Here's one list of them: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/03/r...w-to-help.html
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas