Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 15:22   #1

The Big Step - Getting Work After Completion of Courses

Hello,

I am planning to take a fair amount of sailing and navigation courses in the next few weeks. My hope is to get employment shortly after completing the courses, if done successfully. What is the possible scenario when it comes to getting work? I am ready to go anywhere as long as there is work and that I have the proper certificates and knowledge.

Thanks
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 15:27   #2

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb
Re: The big step: getting work after completion of courses

after completing the courses.......go get some crew job. so you know what's it's like to sail a boat.......
pdjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 15:40   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Frankly, any course(s) that can be completed in "the next few weeks" will not qualify you for much in the way of a job. I'm not sure what you are hoping for, but I suspect that an entry level "deckie" job (that you can get without the courses) would be about the highest level available to you.

You might try to talk with folks involved in the maritime world in YOUR area first. Some on scene info would be better advice than that available here.

Cheers,

JIm
Old 21-08-2012, 15:44   #4

no doubt
Old 21-08-2012, 15:49   #5

Yes, thanks Jim.

Im talking about the internationally recognized certifications available in more than one place. There are entry levels and more advance levels. Once there im sure there are good leads and ways to get more experience on the water. What am hoping for? There are a lot of opportunities. Just wanna place myself in the right spot to get started and find some of those opportunities.
Old 21-08-2012, 15:57   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Go here: Tall Ships America Billet Bank

Tall ships are easy to get work on. They will work you 16 hrs a day 7 days a week for weeks on end. But you usually get fed and paid and will learn a lot.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 16:02   #7

Thanks
Old 21-08-2012, 16:04   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Joseph, specifically which classes are you taking?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 01:01   #9

Joesph, I mean this in the kindest way possible.

I would be very pessimistic about hiring anyone only on the basis of a few classes.

The primary reason is because learning in a classroom, even with practical application of your new found knowledge, is far from the real world. Classroom learning is mostly rote, real world is coorelation the highest level of learning.

Expect to start out at the bottom, doing repetitive menial but necessary duties. How fast you rise is up to you. Do not expect to splice my lines, not even a painter, nor stand the dogwatch until you have proven yourself. This even though you know you can handle it. Paper creds mean nothing in a blow or a lee shore or shifting cargo at night, or even an easy docking to the fuel dock. Things happen, paper doesn't mean squat when they do.

I'm being brutal I know but there is reason and experience behind my words. I detect in your post that perhaps you believe several classes will lead to a good position. Could it be that you drank the Kool-Aid the school was selling? (take this class, get a job) It will come but you will have to prove yourself every step even before you hit the gangway.

As you haven't stated which classes, which way to go in the marine industry, I also suggest starting in your local area. Seek out the yacht clubs or local water taxi. Truly wish you the best but a class or two or three will not qualify you for a position without close supervision on a commercial vessel.

In aviation my rule that helps me stay alive is to remember every pilot is trying to kill me. Unless proven otherwise, even then.... Marine is like aviation, both involve possible life/death scenarios which come fast.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 05:58   #10

Thanks Richard.

I have been too general which led to the mendatory babbling.

Gotta be clearer and I'll be precise.

Im talking both in school AND on the boat for various stages of learning plus out-of-school potential outings hopefully. Like any job in the world, I dont expect the big bucks and glory in 3 and a half weeks. Im just another soon-to-be student aspiring for something good finally. But I've loved the ocean all my life. I understand it takes time. I have spent time on boats, and I'd rather be on them more than on land.

Saying that, I also know that once on location one may meet key people with enlightening advice. If not, where would YOU be? That is how it is in anything anyways.

My enthusiasm misleads people. I am enthusiastic with everything I do, it does not always mean being naive and I live in the moment but I also plan. I have been successful in life so far and the fire under my ass has helped.

My current ''local'' yatch club is in a cold climate, and because I travel all the time there is flexibility in going to the right place and in a warmer climate. I shall mention the California Sailing Academy which seems to have strong teaching for example. I can do a good amount of levels and get on with sailing both in school and by meeting people, hopefully. I dont know how that will be unrealistic.

In the last 12 months, I have slept on boat floors, in cars, in a tent for months, on the beach (oh and hotel rooms too) so I could keep money and keep surfing and travel. So if I aspire to properly learn sailing I will do what is needed: spend time on sail boats and go to school and whatever I need to do. (..painfully obvious)

Anyhow, that is that, thanks for any suggestions (schools, contacts, etc) that's what bulletin boards are for.
Old 22-08-2012, 06:05   #11

Belizesailor,

I am looking at starting with basic to advanced coastal cruising, on to basic bareboat chartering, on to offshore sailing, on to navigation classes, to name what I have seen is available.
Old 22-08-2012, 06:08   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

In a nut shell EXPERIENCE means more than any certificate.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 06:10   #13

Yeah, and im interested, hopefully this September I go ahead with it.
Old 22-08-2012, 06:15   #14

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

I just successfully completed CYA basic cruising last week (ASA 101 equiv.?) My instructor more than once specifically said to not go to the intermediate coarse right away. he has seen too many people who can't even tack when they come for the next coarse. You need some time to season and consolidate your experience.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 06:18   #15

Yep, planning to start at the start.