Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2023, 07:41   #1

The boat you want is in the wrong location

Hi,

I'm looking at boats trying to assess what would suit my needs, what I can afford, and where I might like to sail (should I eventually get one). Never owned a boat before. Did a stint working on super yachts when I was waay younger but I'm a newb when it comes to sailboats.

I thought it might be fun to return to the water, with sails this time, and I'm already thinking that a Production boat more suits my comfort needs, while a Blue Water boat suits my need to not be tied down to any one "continent ".

I like the look of the Hunter 356

So here's my question: If you wanted to live in and sail Japan, but the boat I want to buy is in the US, and I don't have any ocean crossing sailing experience.

So how do I get the boat there?

Is it expensive to pay boat delivery? Not worth it? Risky to the boat? Should I only look to buy the boat in the area I want to sail, in my case... Japan? Asia.

I've read quite a few negatives about Japanese registered boats and don't think I'd have as much choice as I would if I travelled to the US to look at boats. There's a few available in Phuket but still, not as much choice and probably top dollar.

I feel like I've seen the Bahamas and the Med a fair bit, and, given that I'm currently based in Thailand, Asia would be my ideal destination, but the boats I'm seeing are all for sale in the US.

Would i be better to stick to the Water boats">Blue Water boats in this case?
SanPuluei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:57   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: The boat you want is in the wrong location

Shipping a Hunter to Japan will cost you about a third or more of its worth. Hunter's are built to a low price point, and sailing it to Japan without damage will be risky The boats in Phuket can be a bargain, as many of them have been completely restored due to the low cost of boat work there, and owners are reluctant to sail them to Europe due to piracy risks.

A lot depends on your use of the boat. My advice would be to get some experience on a variety of boats in Thailand.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The same as you don't pick a wife by looks alone, you should not select a boat only by looks. As Don said- sail them.

The absolute best boat design I have delivered are Hallberg-Rassy. BUT- their cabin is small and dark- but I would deliver one to Lucifer's front door!

Sail as much as you can, try to get a ride on a Tartan or Sabre- they are more expensive, but offer a good turn of speed, nice cabin and solid build.

Then read as much as you can about boat design- keep in mind aside from Practical Sailor all magazines get revenue from the same folks who build the boats they review!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:07   #4

I hear what you're saying iand thank you for all your advice, but there's one I just can't agree with, and that's the small dark cabin. I. Just. Can't. Maybe it's the super yacht crew in me, but I want the floating apartment. I want the light and space. Its going to be home after all, and similarly, I wouldn't want to live in a bedsit when I could have an open, light, spacious apartment. I hear what you're saying though.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

One man's castle is another man's dungeon.

You got the money.....you can have it all.

For the life of me, I don't know why you'd consider the Hunter 356 as your "perfect" boat. They have roomy interiors, but there is a lot more to a boat than an interior.

People have crossed ocean in rowboats.....and a lot of other unusual craft.

Nonetheless, as pointed out above, many other options exist. Time to go out kick some tires. Your choice in this matter certainly indicates you are a newbie at this. Some smart people on this forum, would be worth your while to consider other options presented here.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:09   #6

If you want to go ‘blue water’, forget the Hunter. As John Steinbeck said, “Some things are made to use, and some things are made to sell”. Once a Hunter is sold the first time, it has fulfilled it’s purpose.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 14:49   #7

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Buy a boat here and use it a lot. Get to know what you like and don't, you never will learn that at the dock. I know I am not a fan of "V" berths, and I don't want to be rebedding deck hardware every few years.

I have a strong preference for metal boats, I built a steel one with my father when I was in my 20's and now own an aluminum one. I have a fiberglass Pearson 30 but it is not my cruising boat, soon to be up for sale.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 15:36   #8

Recommend to look in Japan for yachts if that is where you live and will sail.

https://boatflow.jp/en/boats/search/...sailing-yachts
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 15:51   #9

Boat: B423

What about Langkawi? It's pretty easy to get there from anywhere in SEA. I think that may be a place to get a good deal if you're in the right place at the right time.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 16:10   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I second the vote to build your own. I built my first boat, I built it exactly how I wanted it to be...caveat : at that time.
After 10 years or so, I outgrew it, and got another one....eventually outgrew that one too..
It's a moving target for sure..

All boats have their faults and foibles.....there is...in my opinion....no such thing as the "prefect" boat, some compromises must be accepted. You can't expect a big, beamy boat with tons of interior space to perform as a racer, etc, etc
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 17:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
One man's castle is another man's dungeon.

You got the money.....you can have it all.

For the life of me, I don't know why you'd consider the Hunter 356 as your "perfect" boat. They have roomy interiors, but there is a lot more to a boat than an interior.

People have crossed ocean in rowboats.....and a lot of other unusual craft.

Nonetheless, as pointed out above, many other options exist. Time to go out kick some tires. Your choice in this matter certainly indicates you are a newbie at this. Some smart people on this forum, would be worth your while to consider other options presented here.
I never once said that the Hunger was my perfect boat though.

I said, I liked the look of it.
Old 02-05-2023, 17:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I second the vote to build your own. I built my first boat, I built it exactly how I wanted it to be...caveat : at that time.
After 10 years or so, I outgrew it, and got another one....eventually outgrew that one too..
It's a moving target for sure..

All boats have their faults and foibles.....there is...in my opinion....no such thing as the "prefect" boat, some compromises must be accepted. You can't expect a big, beamy boat with tons of interior space to perform as a racer, etc, etc
Build my own boat... I mean... really!? Did you read my question? I'm not trying to be rude here, but, you may as well tell me to sail it to the moon once I get it finished!
Old 02-05-2023, 17:40   #13

Great link! Thanks.
Old 02-05-2023, 17:40   #14

Great link! Thanks @montanan
Old 02-05-2023, 21:53   #15

The "problem" with buying a boat in Japan seems to be the bureaucracy associated with owning and registering a Japanese vessel. (If anyone knows Japan, they know they love the paperwork!)

I'm still getting my head around it all at this stage, but I've seen a few you tubes/ comments/ face book posts that imply that...

Japanese boats are not allowed outside of Japanese waters, are regularly subjected to inspection from the coast guard (one guy has been boarded 12 times!) And that you've got to have all the required safety gear onboard at all times... one post suggested this was 12 PDFs! And they simply didn't have the storage, so they borrowed them, for the JCI inspection... and if you don't have it in your boat your licence could be withdrawn, boat detained and fined. I would need to get a Japanese Small Vessel Operators Permit (in Japanese? I don't know)...

So you can see there might be some complications...

but I assume none of this would apply to a foreign flagged yacht cruising Japanese waters.

I might be wrong. But it seems easier to bring a boat in, than to get one there.

Tags
boat