Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2022, 08:15   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
The diesel tank is almost empty!

This is not meant to be a political thread. Just a situational awareness thread. The diesel tank is almost empty here in the United States. I guess we are down to 25 days left. Hasn’t been like this in a long time.

Would explain why the prices have been shooting up.

https://jalopnik.com/theres-only-a-2...1849687971/amp

Only 25 days of diesel left.

Thanking about that gasoline heater for my boat. Making more sense at the moment. But then who knows what will happen next? Maybe it’s a solid fuel heater I really need. Ha ha
Old 23-10-2022, 08:35   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: The diesel tank is almost empty!

Forget diesel, I just paid almost $1,000 for a heating oil delivery. And that wasn't even a complete fill-up.

(Heating oil is essentially the same as diesel, and it's used extensively in the Northeast.)

I'd be looking at solid fuel, but again, demand has outstripped supply on that, too. Prices are skyrocketing and it's hard to get cordwood, pellets or wood bricks.

I can only imagine what the Ukrainians must be going through.
Old 23-10-2022, 08:47   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

And when oil leases were opened up (this or last year IIRC) there were essentially no bidders. It would appear that Exxon et al tries to cap production just like OPEC, to boost prices.
Old 23-10-2022, 08:49   #4

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

Diesel at our local marina here on BC's north coast was $2.77 (Canadian dollars) per litre which is $10.52 (Canadian) per US gallon. In US dollars that would be $7.71 per gallon.

Anybody know of a used Norseboat 17.5 that's up for sale?
Old 23-10-2022, 08:55   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
And when oil leases were opened up (this or last year IIRC) there were essentially no bidders. It would appear that Exxon et al tries to cap production just like OPEC, to boost prices.
Most of those leases were the equivalent of "Beach front property for lease in Death Valley".
Oil companies won't lease land where they believe there will be little to no return on investment.
Old 23-10-2022, 09:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Forget diesel, I just paid almost $1,000 for a heating oil delivery. And that wasn't even a complete fill-up.

(Heating oil is essentially the same as diesel, and it's used extensively in the Northeast.)

I'd be looking at solid fuel, but again, demand has outstripped supply on that, too. Prices are skyrocketing and it's hard to get cordwood, pellets or wood bricks.

I can only imagine what the Ukrainians must be going through.
Very familiar since we are from the same area. I’m from there originally.

I saw the heating oil issues as well. I almost posted that because it is the same type of stuff pretty much.

Sounds like a pricey winter is in store.

Probably cheaper to buy a sailboat and head to the islands than it is to fill the heating tanks.
Old 23-10-2022, 09:15   #7

Boat: Sundowner Tug 30

While claiming international influences/pressures, Canadian energy companies are having record breaking profits this year.

Considering how expensive gasoline and diesel are, and how comparatively cheap electricity (generated by dams) is here in BC, we bought a fully electric car a few months ago.

Went on a 2,100Km road trip and spent $75.00 on electricity...there are a lot of charging stations up north that are free, for the time being anyways. Had to stop for about 45 minutes every three hours or so of driving to recharge, so we'd go for lunch, have a picnic, play a series of backgammon, or go photographing...works for us!

Probably the technological equivalent to 8 track tapes, but better than being shackled in servitude to oil companies...you have to jump in the pool sometime.
Old 23-10-2022, 11:13   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This is not meant to be a political thread. Just a situational awareness thread. The diesel tank is almost empty here in the United States. I guess we are down to 25 days left. Hasn’t been like this in a long time.

Would explain why the prices have been shooting up.

https://jalopnik.com/theres-only-a-2...1849687971/amp

Only 25 days of diesel left.

Thanking about that gasoline heater for my boat. Making more sense at the moment. But then who knows what will happen next? Maybe it’s a solid fuel heater I really need. Ha ha

Sail more motor less. I used 60 litres of diesel in 4 months ! And refilled from a tanker at €1.82 a litre
Old 23-10-2022, 11:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sail more motor less. I used 60 litres of diesel in 4 months ! And refilled from a tanker at €1.82 a litre
Why do you think I have that post going right now about rigging the boat? I saw this coming when it was $7 a gallon. Which is a lot over here. Pretty normal for Europe.

And guess what? I think I’m going with your idea. But I’m going to do aluminum instead of stainless. I want to make it more light weight. And it helps me with similar metals at the contact point.
Old 24-10-2022, 03:51   #10

Boat: Admiral 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Coast Murray View Post
Went on a 2,100Km road trip and spent $75.00 on electricity...there are a lot of charging stations up north that are free, for the time being anyways. Had to stop for about 45 minutes every three hours or so of driving to recharge, so we'd go for lunch, have a picnic, play a series of backgammon, or go photographing...works for us!
Just out of curiosity, how was the electricity generated that was used to charge your battery?
Old 24-10-2022, 04:13   #11
Nearly an old salt

The diesel tank is almost empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlady2022 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how was the electricity generated that was used to charge your battery?

Yeah I have a Leaf , public chargers are now €0.33 a KWh up from 0.22 , I get 15kwh per 100km from the car. So approx €5 per 100 km

Night rate grid is at €0.16 up from €0.087 so if I charge at home it’s €2.4 per 100km

My little diesel 1.3 litre fiat van returns 6 litres per 100 km which is very good currently diesel is €2.10 so around €13 for the same journey.

Considerable savings especially if charging from home.

40-60% is renewable. 20% is interconnector supplied and the remainder is largely gas powered ( only one coal plant)

So clean at the point of usage is a big advantage for EV as well as significant savings in running costs ( zero service costs in 6 years )
Old 24-10-2022, 04:37   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlady2022 View Post
Depends on where you are. But large scale power generation is almost always more efficient than small scale stuff like a car engine. So even if the fuel source was the same, there are benefits. Plus, if the car is electric, the fuel sources and be swapped out and improved over time without the user even noticing.
Old 24-10-2022, 04:41   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Depends on where you are. But large scale power generation is almost always more efficient than small scale stuff like a car engine. So even if the fuel source was the same, there are benefits. Plus, if the car is electric, the fuel sources and be swapped out and improved over time without the user even noticing.

Detractors of EVs always avoid the huge environmental cost of actually making road grade petroleum products anyway.
Old 24-10-2022, 14:19   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

While topic drift if normal, it has completely left the realm of cruising and has become somewhat political to boot.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel