Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 19:52   #316

Boat: Catalina 470
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Being frugal can be by choice or neccesity. Personally im trying to be more frugal by choice. Its almost a protest vote against the consumerism that engulfs our world. After spending a number of years cruising around people that have very little money I see humility in being, or becoming more frugal.
Wasting money because we have it in my opinion is disrespectful and to some degree arrogant (ego & ignorance).

The amount of money one has dosent determine whether he/she is frugal or not, sure it gives him the choice of being frugal or not and it may be a different frugal but its his frugal, in fact the person with money may be practising more restraint than the person without money.

I was very frugal, this was a key part of what got me ahead. As my cashflow increased i became much less frugal, big house, nice cars, motorbike and wife with enhansed breasts. I can assure you more stuff dosent always make one happier. I now have alot less stuff and apply less importance to it, practising or trying to be frugal is a quality i believe to be worth pursuing. Having the choice is a luxury, i realize this.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 19:58   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Your rule #1 holds for all sizes, types and expense of boat.

Frugality is a universal thing - regardless of one's budget or how much their boat cost.

It is more about living within one's means and not overpaying for things - and not just living at or below a certain income/expense level.

Mark
From page 1....i think this is a good definition.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-10-2016, 20:42   #318
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I used to drink a lot of Coca Cola many years ago. Would not touch anything else. One time I was working in India and they only had Campa Cola.Eventually I tried it. I liked it.

Now, I try the store brand foods and drinks. 1/3rd the price and just as good.

Here in Sevilla, Wine is inexpensive. I drink Tinto con Casera, red wine with a fizzy lemonade. Ive always bought wine at about €4 a bottle for it. (believe it or not, here in Europe, Spain especially, that is considered moderately expensive for a wine). The Socio that I am a member of (Real Betis football club) recently ran a fund raising night and asked if I would contribute on the wine. I just got the bill. €20 for 5 gallons! Seems the wine I love in the bar is made by a local winery and not certified except for local use.. good stuff!

I consider frugality to be using the funds wisely, within your budget, and best value for the purpose intended for.

Sometimes frugality would be the purchase of the most expensive item if it lasted a long time, did the job intended well and was VALUE FOR MONEY all things considered. It also is relative to your income.

The intention of this thread was to show that boating can be afforded by those with meagre pockets.Careful and judicious purchase of a vessel, a lot of hard work and an eye for a bargain will set a person on the boating track.

The thread was never meant to judge people or belittle them. Sometimes on the CF it would appear that the only way to boat is to spend 500K on a boat and then upgrade with another 200k. Look at the fantastic build that Atoll is doing, and he purchases everything he needs in a frugal manner. He will have a €100K catamaran for a fifth of the price, but with hard work and determination.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 22:08   #319
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
The intention of this thread was to show that boating can be afforded by those with meagre pockets.Careful and judicious purchase of a vessel, a lot of hard work and an eye for a bargain will set a person on the boating track.

Nicely said.

I've lived on my boat for 9 years now and on someone elses boat for 2 years before that. Mostly because I love the water. I know that boating can be affordable without big pockets as I've been doing it.

I purchased my boat with part of my dads estate funds for $11.5k. It was a semi-project boat. But nothing major. Spent about $8k ish redoing the plumbing and electrical, including all new lights, etc.etc.etc.

Things I have done that saved a bit of cash include.
1. Buying a spool of 1/2" doublebraid for 55 cents a foot (on sale) 9 years ago. I still have 150 feet of it aboard new. Also taught myself how to do eye splices.
2. My 120V fridge and inverter for $200 instead of a $800 12V system. After 6000+ miles in 9 years (a goodly part on the hook) it's still going strong.
3. Purchased a used mainsail for $300 ish and it's still in good condition.
4. Purchased slightly used anchor chain for $0.80/foot.
5. Used latex paint to protect the furling jib from UV instead of 10+ yards of sunbrella. $12 for a quart of paint with $6 touch up every 2 years. It does the job and gee got it in hot pink too. A win, win.
6. Used the same paint to paint the cap rails, which saves $100 year for varnish, sandpaper, etc and my sanity. That no sanding thingy was a bonus.
7. Dyneema Lifelines and topping lift $130.
8. New stove that saved $900 over a Marine Version.
9. Purchased a 8" thick foam bed in a box from wallyworld for $200 and cut it to match the Vberth.
10. Made a bimini for $150 including 6 yards of sunbrella (pink) for the hot delta summers.
11. Sun shades made from canvas drop cloths for $20 ish each plus some groments. Used 5 summers in the hot califonia delta and still doing well.
12. $10 garden sprayer for a solar shower. Easier to fill and lasts tons longer then the Marine versions.
13. Feed buckets $6 from farm stores, used to fetch water (whatever the boats sitting in for washing dishes and decks. Heavy duty with heavy duty handles and one flat side which makes carrying it easier.

Of course I do almost all my own work (just rebuilt the head again, My least favorite boat project). Replaced the fuel filters a month ago along with new fan belts, etc. Love bleeding the yanmar... Not.

Things I don't skimp on: engine parts and maintenance and ground tackle. Though I will shop ebay when I can find the part there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:10   #320

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Laughing at how ken, with his oyster 52 and his real estate rental retirement plan is telling people how to live a frugal lifestyle.. .
How do you think he got the Oyster?

Hard work and frugality is the way 90% of all rich people got that way.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 13:30   #321
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
How do you think he got the Oyster?

Hard work and frugality is the way 90% of all rich people got that way.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
New studies show 90% of rich people inherited it...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 13:43   #322

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
They inherited the money, but were taught the mindset.

Ann
Old 03-10-2016, 14:32   #323
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

I was thinking that too, and from what I have seen its gone in one generation unless it was a rather large sum, then it's often "managed" so that the fools can't lose it all.
How long do you think it would take Paris Hilton to go through all of it if she had a free hand?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 14:46   #324

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was thinking that too, and from what I have seen its gone in one generation unless it was a rather large sum, then it's often "managed" so that the fools can't lose it all.
How long do you think it would take Paris Hilton to go through all of it if she had a free hand?

Old saying...first generation earns it, second generation looks after it, third generation squanders it...
Old 03-10-2016, 15:06   #325

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Paris has actually greatly increased her lot. Her overall public demeanor is at least partly an act that's let her create a successful reality TV show, paid guest appearances, clothing and fragrance lines, commercial spots, etc. But she has most people fooled!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 15:38   #326
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

She has one of us fooled that is for sure.
I don't know which.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 17:14   #327

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Old saying...first generation earns it, second generation looks after it, third generation squanders it...
You beat me to it. There's a lot of truth in that one.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 17:44   #328

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

You all are making me think "politics".....gotta get my mind out of the gutter!
Old 03-10-2016, 19:13   #329

I think mind set is extremly important regarding money. Rich is always relative. Some people dislike people they percieve to be rich, whether they do it conciously or not, others dont have the same envy and get motivated and inspired by those that have more than them.
Its easy to say "80% of rich people inherited their money" it makes us feel better. But there are many "rich" that kept their eyes open for oppurtunity, grabbed it when it came along and then worked their asses off.
Ive made quite abit of money and lost quite abit of money, good decisions and some poor ones, what i do strongly believe is that people that do succeed financially in life amongst other defintions of success are individuals that have the ability to take action, it takes courage to step up and sieze oppurtunity, if it was easy everyone would do it. This is why its easier to believe most of the wealthy inherited their money.

Old 03-10-2016, 19:14   #330

Also very much agree with " shirt sleeve to shirt sleeve in three generations". I've seen it.

Tags
sail