Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2020, 07:44   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
The future of taking a crew?

Giving the current state of affairs taking a crew seems will be a difficult decision, last year when I needed extra help for overnight passages never gave much of a thought (just the normal screen and vetting).
That has changed, it is estimated we are about one year or maybe longer away from both reliable and affordable diagnostic tools as well as vaccination.
Cannot imagine taking somebody on board been sailboats rather small and confined spaces.
Like to know what your thoughts are.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 07:53   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: The future of taking a crew?

Same as talking to a stranger in a bar. You decide
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 08:34   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Did you screen people for influenza, or norovirus?

One change that I suspect will become more commonplace is a requirement for International Immunization Cards (Yellow Cards) along with passports when clearing in ports; especially island nations.

Yellow cards were quite common several decades ago. A few nations still require immunization records for clearance, and I think this may be required again in the future.
Old 16-04-2020, 10:14   #4

Discovery is correct. Yellow cards required to obtain a visa with visa processing taking say 6, 8, 10 weeks before arrival. Until herd immunity or effective and safe vaccines can be developed and deployed.

As to the present, the USVI's emergency order states in relevant part, in regards to crewing a vessel:

No Vessel shall on-board any new passengers during the period of the State of Emergency initially declared on March 13, 2020.

There being no reason for that to change anytime soon, perhaps say at the end of 2021.

Presently, IF one can arrive in a country, factor in at least a 14 day isolation period, and then no interaction with anyone on land or adjacent boat before embarking on a vessel, and then 14 days enforced isolation at the destination to assure the country of arrival that the boat is safe to make any contact to a land base.

So add 28 days to any sojourn assuming border restrictions are eased.

Not going to happen. Too much personal risk of exposure and challenging quarantine requirements.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 10:18   #5

very informative
thank you
Old 16-04-2020, 15:41   #6

In addition to the possibility of Yellow Cards (or other immunization records), I also suspect that more countries will require Zarpe; including for vessels sailing from the US.

The US form is CBP Form 1300.
Old 17-04-2020, 09:28   #7

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Did you screen people for influenza, or norovirus?

One change that I suspect will become more commonplace is a requirement for International Immunization Cards (Yellow Cards) along with passports when clearing in ports; especially island nations.

Yellow cards were quite common several decades ago. A few nations still require immunization records for clearance, and I think this may be required again in the future.
This seems likely.

As to taking on crew, my way of doing things won't change.
Old 17-04-2020, 15:41   #8

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

And keep in mind that the owner is responsible for any medical bills rung up by crew while aboard. So if a crew member comes down with Covid-19 and ends up in the ICU, and worse on a ventilator, the costs could easily bankrupt most cruisers. So at a minimum a requirement for international medical insurance should apply to all aboard - a not inexpensive precaution.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 16:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
And keep in mind that the owner is responsible for any medical bills rung up by crew while aboard.
Greg
Good point Greg. That is why I specifically state in my Crew Info page, and discuss with everyone that each person is responsible for personal medical/dental care and emergency medical evacuation costs.

I recommend US and Canadian crew members look into purchasing DAN Travel Insurance.

I also require people have enough financial means for repatriation (if necessary).
Old 17-04-2020, 16:31   #10

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Unfortunately I have found that many who seek to crew are quite happy to tell you that they will be "responsible" for things like medical care and repatriation, but in fact do not have the financial means to cover those obligations. Sometimes they "plan" to get on another vessel, and when they can't find one then the owner is on the hook. Been there, done that... In future if I were needing crew I would insist on holding the return airline ticket or the cash for it - no more trusting. As for medical bills there are very few who could cover the costs of emergency care so an insurance policy would be a must-have item. I have learned the hard way about the potential cost of crew - which is why I learned to be comfortable single-handing.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 20:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
And keep in mind that the owner is responsible for any medical bills rung up by crew while aboard. So if a crew member comes down with Covid-19 and ends up in the ICU, and worse on a ventilator, the costs could easily bankrupt most cruisers. So at a minimum a requirement for international medical insurance should apply to all aboard - a not inexpensive precaution.

Greg
================================

the title of this post was directed at the current state of affairs and the unknown (at this time) on how we are going to be sailing/cruising in the future.
As you indicated and my own expectations single-handed seem to be "the future", at least the next couple of years.
It is going to take some effort to adjust to the "new reality", too bad, last year did enjoy having a crew here and there if nothing else because of the company.
But the health and financial risks just have gone to highs not compatible with
my best judgment.
Oh well, staying alive and cruising not too bad options!!
Old 18-04-2020, 06:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Giving the current state of affairs taking a crew seems will be a difficult decision, last year when I needed extra help for overnight passages never gave much of a thought (just the normal screen and vetting).
That has changed, it is estimated we are about one year or maybe longer away from both reliable and affordable diagnostic tools as well as vaccination.
Cannot imagine taking somebody on board been sailboats rather small and confined spaces.
Like to know what your thoughts are.
You don't need thoughts when you have the facts. According to Google as of the morning of April 18 154,350 deaths from covid 19 have occurred in the world over the last 4 months. While in the US 31,500 people a day die from the family car. That's 154,350 deaths out of 7.5 billion people. People who get the virus have an 86% survival rate. Don't panic just because other people have lost their minds. Check the numbers first and then decide. This is nothing more than an alarmist reaction to a bad flu season.
jcoghill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 06:37   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Another part of the future crew story is the travel restrictions of sailing internationally.

I get crew reasonably regularly, never a problem finding someone, will this continue to be easy in the future?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 09:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Another part of the future crew story is the travel restrictions of sailing internationally.

I get crew reasonably regularly, never a problem finding someone, will this continue to be easy in the future?
I agree. IMHO the bigger question is not finding crew, it is when island nations will feel comfortable opening up for arrivals, and what documentation will be required.
Old 18-04-2020, 10:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoghill2 View Post
You don't need thoughts when you have the facts. According to Google as of the morning of April 18 154,350 deaths from covid 19 have occurred in the world over the last 4 months. While in the US 31,500 people a day die from the family car. That's 154,350 deaths out of 7.5 billion people. People who get the virus have an 86% survival rate. Don't panic just because other people have lost their minds. Check the numbers first and then decide. This is nothing more than an alarmist reaction to a bad flu season.
Are you sure 31500 people get killed every day by cars in the USA?? That's 11 and a half million a year.11497500.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew