Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05   #16

Re: The Long Road to Success

We have some semi-retired friends who live around Aylmer/Ottawa. They've chosen a different route to a sailing lifestyle:
- from late spring through to maybe Christmas, they have a beautiful "cottage" close to Lac Deschenes and steps to CVGR, where they keep the same sort of small boat that we have, do alot of daysailing and the occasional overnighter or long weekend (Lac Deschenes is a fantastic lake for sailing a small cruiser, btw. we loved it). They can and do also trailer anywhere in Quebec or Ontario to experience different lakes.
- from January to mid/late spring they have a Bristol 24 and a small condo on the Gulf coast. I think they've sailed as far as the Keys, so far.

The thing about this arrangement - it's lots of sailing for not alot of money. Their money and risk isn't tied up in one big boat; they own two modest boats outright and some property.

It's not the full-on liveaboard lifestyle, but it's a very affordable Montreal-type option if you want to get sailing now at modest cost. You could have a starter boat in Montreal (eg Lac de Deux Montagnes), then take courses or charters down south during the winters. When you're ready for the big liveaboard boat, it will be easy to sell or store a small boat.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:21   #17

Boat: None Yet

Firstly, thanks to all for taking the time to try and help me out.

DOJ :I'll be sure to browse the info in your sig. I'll come back once I've read a good bit of it.

Doodles : The Beneteau was also my 'pick'. However I don't recall seing a 'sale pending' notice on it so it might be new. I'm in no actual hurry to buy a boat, just taking a serious, long hard look at options right now. Keeping the draft shallow is something important. Thanks for pointing that out. I would hate being kept out of beautiful lagoons or bays for fear of running aground. That O'day looks nice, clean and maintained (on the pictures at least). I'll send the broker an email.

Boatman61 : Thanks for the link. I'll take a look with my spouse!

carstenb : I'll see if I can get thebook locally and if not, I'll get it online. I may be dreaming of cruising, but in the meantime I still need reading for the daily commute.

sww914 : I'm sorry to hear that it took you 15 years to get cruising but at least you are cruising! Some never leave shore. That bit about exploding dinghys made me take a peek at your blog ! About the size issue... I hear you. I was thinking I'd get a 100 footer for the price I'm seeing the 50 footers sell...

ArtM : Too late to split it I suppose. About the property, I'm glad to hear that at least one other person is cruising successfully while owning rental property. It just helps me feel I'm not doing something impossible. The property is sufficiently profitable to still have good money left even after paying mor management. (which is getting rare considering my neighbour just sold his building for 22 times the yearly rental income. That's IMPOSSIBLE to be profitable).

About being burned out, If we live aboard for a few years it'd be in or around St-Barths because... well... because. I have the option of earning revenue there if I want.

About the 'now' boat. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied. I'll always want bigger, newer, shinier. (Have you seen the beneteau sense50?) You might have an objective boat however...

Paul L : I'll take a look at their blog with my wife.... you know, to help convince her we should ditch the arctic in favour of warmer climates.

Lake-Effect : What you are describing seems like a reasonable plan. It would seem like it might actually be an investment seeing as to how real-estate would tend to appreciate rather than depreciate. It might appeal to me for a retirement but doesn't really sing to me right now.

Lac des deux montagnes is actually where I take my sailing lessons. Problem is the lake is running dry and low. Lot's of the 30' sailboats running out of the marina I go to are hitting the bottom too often. Some people didn't take their boats out all summer because of this...

Nevertheless, our plan, which was reasonable, was to do exactly what you described. It's just that after being 'free' for a year living in the north, where you could literraly just point your snowmobile in any direction and ride for days on end or stop in a remote bay and watch the belugas migrating, or find polar bear tracks and follow them for miles and miles just to try and find one... 9 to 5 jobs are slowly killing us inside. Cruising sooner rather than later, or at least being on a boat, would seem like the next step.
Blade Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 19:31   #18

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
ArtM : Too late to split it I suppose. About the property, I'm glad to hear that at least one other person is cruising successfully while owning rental property.
I'm not cruising (at least not the water type), but I am very highly mobile.

In 20 years, I have never been asked to return to the site of a property I've owned. The rental manager has always handled any issues with the property, and I've been able to complete at least one sale without being physically present for any part of the process.

The one exception to that is regarding a property which is UNprofessionally managed by my mother.

It's not a bad idea to have an occasional correspondence with a friend or relative who drives by your property every now and then.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 23:45   #19

Boat: Currently boatless
Bladerunner - have you already poked around this site:

http://interviewwithacruiser.blogspot.com

I am biased because I founded it, but you and your wife might find some good ideas that fit you there.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote