Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 02:49   #1

the OTHER forward!!!

TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 20:23   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: the OTHER forward!!!

I hate laughing at others' misfortunes because fer shur it'll come back to bite me I was on a friend's boat Saturday. His gear lever is in the exact same place at the wheel as mine except down is forward and up is reverse. It's the opposite on my boat. At least I had no intention of trying to dock his boat!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 21:48   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Why did that guy try to jump aboard??????
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 22:34   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Why did that guy try to jump aboard??????
There were two of them holding dock lines. They tried to jump on board to set up stern lines. One made it, the other didn't
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 02:47   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think it would be easy for someone to get confused when facing backwards at a control station and being lined in at speed.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 05:03   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Is it just me... I couldn't imagine standing forward of the wheel and facing aft when going astern.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 05:46   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Is it just me... I couldn't imagine standing forward of the wheel and facing aft when going astern.
Please don't go there, some still need therapy after dealing with this 2013 thread. Fun starts at post 106

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-112920-8.html
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 15:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Please don't go there, some still need therapy after dealing with this 2013 thread. Fun starts at post 106

Yikes...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-07-2017, 16:03   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
I oddly stand forward of the wheel all the time. So much easier working the jib and docking single handed that way.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 16:48   #10

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I oddly stand forward of the wheel all the time. So much easier working the jib and docking single handed that way.
Agree. But I don't think it odd at all. Also, standing forward of the wheel when in reverse is super easy. I just tell people to drive it like a car. Tillers, on the other hand, can be so confusing!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 16:54   #11

incompetence... whomever was skipper should never step on a boat again. The woman driving is a jerk.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 17:06   #12

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Thanks for that, brought a tear to my eye, haven't laughed so much at an internet "discussion" for ages.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 17:08   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Agree. But I don't think it odd at all. Also, standing forward of the wheel when in reverse is super easy. I just tell people to drive it like a car. Tillers, on the other hand, can be so confusing!
So perhaps it is just me

I am presuming when you are standing forward of the wheel, you are also facing aft (when going astern), I am not sure if sailorchic means she faces forward when working jib or otherwise.

The tiller is slightly different, I always stand / sit beside it or in front of it but never aft of it and I while I face forward, I do twist and look aft as required.

However I am confused by
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
........ Also, standing forward of the wheel when in reverse is super easy. I just tell people to drive it like a car......
in all the cars I have driven, you must sit behind the wheel at all times, even when reversing...
Old 25-07-2017, 17:09   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
the OTHER forward!!!

Other than going WAY too fast, I can see anyone making that mistake facing backwards and going backwards as well.

There was a study commissioned by the FAA years ago to try to determine why apparently very professional, very experienced pilots very rarely did incredibly stupid things, things that just didn't make sense.
A lot of money was spent and I think a couple of years went by before they basically gave up, seems all the could come up with was an acronym to name it SLOJ, for sudden loss of judgement.
Seems none of us are immune to committing an incredibly stupid act once in a blue moon, like running the stop sign that we stop at on the way to work every morning.
All that could be done to mitigate SLOJ was to have two crew members and give them both equal voting rights so to speak, so when one did something stupid, the other was supposed to jump and a say stop, that will get us killed etc.

However I cannot understand what the hurry was about
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 17:34   #15

Looking more closely it appears (to me) that the sense of engine control lever is "backwards".

That is, it has to be moved towards the front of the boat when going astern and vice versa; if so, that's not intuitive (IMO).

Initially (around 2 secs) the lever seems to have been pushed forward and around 9 secs, it is being pushed aft. Then again at 19 secs it is moved forward again. The boat initially is going astern and between 9 and 19 secs, it moves ahead.

Is anyone here familiar with the sense of the control lever on this model of boat?