Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2017, 14:17   #136

Re: The Political World of the Marinas

You don't sound like a curmudgeon at all - which implies being at least somewhat unhappy. A better description, which I think I share, is "Not gregarious". I know of no accurate antonym for "gregarious" in the English language. Perhaps that's because all those gregarious folks refuse to admit the possibility. Attached is the only time I've ever seen the word "gregarious" used in an uncomplimentary manner. As the author, Roger Duncan, suggests - you may be happier in Maine somewhere East of Schoodic Point. Unfortunately, it's a bit cold right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 5.16.17 PM.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	159375  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 15:44   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
You don't sound like a curmudgeon at all - which implies being at least somewhat unhappy. A better description, which I think I share, is "Not gregarious". I know of no accurate antonym for "gregarious" in the English language.
Reserved?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 16:36   #138

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I know of no accurate antonym for "gregarious" in the English language. .
Wifey B: Unsociable, unhospitable, cold, cool, unfriendly, introverted. Don't think sailorboy is likely any of those either. Perhaps some would say unsociable, but I'd say disinterested.

One thing I've seen is people labeled unfriendly, when they just have no interest in BS'ing with a bunch of drunks. I've seen people labeled as conceited or stuck up when they're just shy or introverted.

Why some thing we all should enjoy the same things escapes me. We'd not be engaging in whatever is going on there either that he's left out of. Not our interest. On the other hand if we went to play tennis or walk or play basketball or sight see, we wouldn't hold it against them that they had no interest.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 16:40   #139
CLOD

Boat: none

The point was that I would pass on free wine in order to not have to deal with petty bs crap that comes around 20th person removed.

Btw - haven’t gotten a bbq invite to take as real and haven’t heard of any recommended Brunswick stew place in Brunswick yet
Old 18-11-2017, 16:58   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
The Political World of the Marinas

I don’t think we are in Barbecue country to be honest, and I know of one place that will sell you some low country boil, but I have never bought any before.
I assume a low country boil is what I think a clam bake is, something you do yourself and don’t go out for.
A low country boil is dead easy, it’s shrimp, corn, sausage, potatoes and a bag of Zatarains shrimp boil, or you favorite seasoning.
I have always just used the fish cooker or turkey fryer as they are the same.
I haven’t even found decent seafood here, one place I have been the shrimp is undersized and seems to be as much of a Oriental fried rice place as anything.
But I haven’t really looked very hard.
Find us a Barbecue place and we will swap cars with our Daughter and get the Prius. It can hold four, the Miata cannot.
My Wife will never turn down eating out I can assure you although we spend about a tenth of what you do eating out. I prefer her cooking, she prefers not to cook.

As far as stew, I have no idea, I don’t think it has anything to do with Brunswick Ga? All I know is the real stuff is apparently made from a Hogs Head, but I got that bit of trivia in Alabama, so who knows?

A quick Google does have Brunswick Ga claiming the stew, so who knows, maybe?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 17:21   #141

Wifey B: GA not the place for BBQ. Go NC or TX depending on what kind you want. Two distinctly different kinds in NC. Then of course there is Memphis BBQ. Brunswick Stew? Yuck.
Old 18-11-2017, 17:39   #142

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...Well beer is free all the time here....
If that was the case in the Bahamas, we'd still be there!
Old 18-11-2017, 18:00   #143

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Well Don, I warned you about being a Yankee down there��. You are a cultural oddity in the ol Confederacy. Try thinking like Burt Reynolds and cultivating an affection for long eared hounds....switch to drinking fire ball....wear penny loafers and no socks. For Pete's sake make an effort to fit in��.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 18:07   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Well Don, I warned you about being a Yankee down there��. You are a cultural oddity in the ol Confederacy. Try thinking like Burt Reynolds and cultivating an affection for long eared hounds....switch to drinking fire ball....wear penny loafers and no socks. For Pete's sake make an effort to fit in��.
Wifey B: Or be happy you don't fit in.
Old 18-11-2017, 18:21   #145

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Reserved?
Another great word is "retiring"...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/retiring
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 18:25   #146
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
It’s such a mixed group in the marina I don’t know if I’m suppose to pet the hound, or kick it
Old 18-11-2017, 18:46   #147

Quote:
It’s such a mixed group in the marina I don’t know if I’m suppose to pet the hound, or kick it
Wifey B: Either way it might bite you, so safest to stay away from it.
Old 19-11-2017, 00:01   #148

Quote:
Just wait for the banjos to play, then you will know what to do..sooooeeeee boy!
Joe Saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 00:57   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

The thing about 'prejudice' is that people carry them with them. They enter a marina with a "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience." This translates in viewing occurrences or words and fitting them in with the prejudice. This can be cultural, ie North vs South or can even be ones personal attitude in general.

Many of us supposedly happy gregarious cruisers are not in reality, happy gregarious cruisers. I cruise for the reasons I cruise and pick and select the venues that I want to participate in. Marina life in general for me is a quiet coffee or beer at the facilities, a pleasant hello or two and then a polite goodbye. If I dont become one of the crowd, I wont hear of any "backstabbing" and would care even less.

Methinks if it is any other way then the complainant has become too involved.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:48   #150

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

I for one am looking forward to moving onto the boat in a marina. It’ll beat the 1.5hr/65 mile each way commute every day.
Life is what you make it......mostly. I have few friends but am always friendly. My opinions are mine, i try and keep them that way.
Our Marina docks are locked. So there are few people sneaking around that don’t belong there......if you close the gate.
The showers and baths need to be remodeled, but they have hot water, so I’m happy.
The slips / docks are only 2 years old so everything is pretty new.
My neighbors and I talk about boats, dreams, where we’re going, where we’ve been and what broke last and who is fixing it.
I’ll bring you a drink when we first meet, invite you you for a drink in the cockpit next time.
I don’t go to bars much anymore, it’s like inviting trouble. I’m here to have fun and get the boat ready to shove off.
And I hope to run into sailorboy and buy him a drink or three. I like what he’s contributed.
I prefer Bourbon.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, marinas