Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 17:37   #31

Re: The reason you take your headsail down in a hurricane!

That's because the vast majority of boats are owned by wannabes who use their boats as "entertainment platforms" or waterfront apartments. There are very few seamen left.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 18:09   #32

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid75 View Post
That's because the vast majority of boats are owned by wannabes who use their boats as "entertainment platforms" or waterfront apartments. There are very few seamen left.
If you only knew.....some of those "wannabes" were "seamen" once. Some of them have aged, some of them are now widowers, some of them have suffered physical damage because a young kid hit them head-on, etc. It's bad form to judge another man, or woman, unless you have walked a mile in their shoes. I hope to have a few more good years in me before I choose to use my boat as a waterfront condo, but when I do please don't judge me unfairly.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 18:35   #33

Orion jim, please note that I said "the vast majority" not "all" of those boat owners are wannabes. Yes, there are former, or I should say retired, seamen scattered among the "yuppies" and they are the ones who properly prepared their boats for the storm. I knew a "Jim" who sailed a Downeaster 38 named "Orion" in the Caribbean in the late 1990's. He was a true seaman and if he is retired and still on his boat, Orion will be ready for any emergency.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 18:37   #34
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

After reviewing the above posts and observing at least a dozen shredded headsails and one main sail, I find no plausible excuse for not preparing for a storm. Yeah, it's a pain to do this and easy to have a denial attitude. I created this thread for those who ignore this advice or who think it can't happen to them if you wrap your sheets around the furler. That's just crap and the force of these winds is just unbelievable.

Also, blaming the marina staff for not taking care of your boat is ridiculous. They are all scrambling to prepare the marina. Most will check your lines and may add some so you don't take out your neighbors boat. But, sails? No way. Also, what are they supposed to do with these sails once they take them down? It's just not their problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 18:45   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Part of it is that the named storm deductible is so high you might as well rip it all, get a high estimate for canvas, sails, paint scratches, etc then buy a few used sails after you get the checks.

As and fyi, all my St Aug neighbors are trying to figure out if 1" of water in a garage can get them a complete remodel courtesy of fema and the flood insurance program
Old 09-10-2016, 19:30   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Last year we witnessed a huge screecher unfurl on a cat around midnight. The wind was about 20 knots. The skipper was asleep and the boat docked.

The sail was gone before the guy was up and functional - caught in the rigging of the neighbouring boat a shredded. The sail.

I think a well secured furled genoa easily makes it thru any regular storm but a hurricane is yet another story.

When in doubt, take it down.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 22:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
I've seen this type of damage many times in far less than hurricane strength winds, just bad storms. What bothers me more is that no one at the marina seems to give a damn. Can the marina crew not take the 30 seconds required to re-furl the sail? Can they not even give a phone call to a boat owner to tell him that his $2,000 genoa is getting torn to shreds? That's why marinas have a phone number for each boat owner. Perhaps it's not "their responsibility", but it sure as heck would amount to good service. I'm glad that I'm at a yacht club where people actually care about each other and the shore crew thinks about the members.
I just went through this at the marina my boats at. 57 mph wind, two furled sail's deployed and flogged them selves to death. I attempted to crank one of them in. When I got to the furler, it was under such massive strain it was literally screaming , the whole stay and furler twanging 3 feet bow to stern like a giant guitar string. I left the A.O. My life is not worth a sail belonging to anyone, let alone some toad that leaves a boat in such condition. oh ya, one of the boats is a moron with 3 rope/wire halyards left loose as hell for weeks at a time. Tie them up and the next time the owners here they leave loose again. Sorry, no favors for **&#ers!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:06   #38

Boat: PT-11

I am seeing a lot of this scolding going on here, on FB and elsewhere. Give it up. I am sure most of those people knew the risks they were taking and went ahead anyway. Well-intentioned scolds are not going to change anything.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:01   #39

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

In Grenada the two yards I have been in require that the sails and all canvas removed if named storm is on its way. They will will do it and charge you if you are not there. If you're coming out for long term storage the one will not haul if you have a jib on. I remove all halyards and running rigging anyway so not an issue for me.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:10   #40

Boat: Bristol 27

Our wind forecast was to be in the 40's, but we had gusts to 87 knots.

Coming back across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel yesterday winds were between 40-60 knots with quite large waves. I had to use the windshield wipers several times and it wasn't raining! No tractor trailers were allowed to cross and the speed limit was lowered to 45.

It was very interesting to see the conditions and think about what if you were in that crap on a sailboat.......you'd be screwed in the bay with the closely spaced waves and obstacles on a small underpowered sailboat but in open water doable but not recommended

I didn't take my jib off the furler or add any extra lines. I was a bit worried about the line holding the boat away from the dock forward but it did okay.

I wrapped the furled sail with my main halyard maybe 10X. That halyard always runs from the cabin hand rail to the bow pulpit railing when not in use so whenever we have gale warnings I wrap the furled jib with it.

Hurricane prep would normally be to remove the sails. I did remove the dodger though
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:40   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHM View Post
Attachment 132563
I couldn't believe how many boats took no action to prepare for this disaster!

Really! This is scary ****. I have seen so much damage here near Ponce Inlet due to poor preparation and planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Maybe they were legitimately testing some newfangled, indestructible nano-tube-white-carbon sail and it failed the test
n13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:42   #42

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
This is the dumbest thing I have read on this forum this year.
Well, you must live in a world apart. Of the hundreds of boats in our marina, some very nice and fully open ocean capable, most never leave their slips other than to have bottoms painted. So what better thought do you have?
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:32   #43

Boat: Rudy Choy 42’ Cat

Anyone know about the "Imi Loa" dry docked in Guaymas?
Kelphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:42   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer1008 View Post
It has to be understood most Luxury purchases such as RV's and Boats are bought for no other reason than to be trophy's of wealth and or status. This crowd will visit their boats, may take them out on occasion but will do no maintenance even as simple as lowering a sail in preparation for a storm.

This may upset some people and hurt feelings, but it is often true.
My boat for example was I am sure a couple of people's "Trophy" but by the time I came along she was past her prime for Trophy status I guess.

But how else can you explain a 27 yr old cruising boat with 500 hours on the engine, no windlass, no battery bank to speak of, no Radar, no Autopliot, original VHF, original sails in good condition, and absolutely zero cruising gear of any kind?
Now one couple that owned her did day sail her, but I believe until I bought her that was the only actual use she received, been a Dock Queen until then.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:18   #45

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
I can never fathom why the US celebrates Columbus Day; after all, Cabot claimed North America for England while Columbus was sunning himself in the Caribbean.
There is no record of Columbus having set foot in NA.

Out west we now celebrate Native American Day in apology for (Columbus) European sins.

JimK

Tags
head, hurricane, sail