Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2022, 13:25   #1

Boat: Lagoon 46 / Searay Sundancer 350
The Sad damage to boats in the days AFTER the Hurricane

This is so sad to see. Owners can't move their boats until the insurance adjuster views them, but in the weeks between the hurricane and them moving the boat, the damage just gets worse and worse.

This is in my Marina. A Saona 47 ended up on the dock as the storm surge receded. Not a huge deal. Coult probably have been brought down with minimal damage. The second picture is two weeks later. The entire aft is underwater and the boat is probably totaled.

Side note: The owners didn't take the sails down and tied to the cleats instead of the pylons.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4QyEWJNyBAQntKPc8
HabibiDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 15:43   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: The Sad damage to boats in the days AFTER the Hurricane

I know this is a cheap plug and the moderators are free to remove this. I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone that has lost their boat from Ian. But there are a lot of Spectra watermakers under water there. I understand the insurance issues and I'm not asking anyone to break any rules. But if you salvage the Clark pump and membrane module, doesn't matter how long it's been under water to me, I'd be willing to buy it from you for a fair price. Anyone can PM me here if you'd like.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 15:56   #3

Boat: Morgan 382

I haven't looked as close into marine insurance policies, but other policies I have read the covered party is expected to take reasonable action to mitigate damage. It is surprising and unfortunate if such language isn't in marine policies.
Old 19-10-2022, 17:06   #4

Wow. That does look like death of boat by owner neglect. Not only not removing sails before the storm, but just leaving it afterwards. There is nothing in my insurance policy that prevents mitigating additional damage after an incident.

What is this nonsense about not moving the boat until after an adjuster has witnessed it? Is that similar to the drivers that leave their car in the middle of the roadway after a fender bender while waiting for police?
Pandor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 19:37   #5

Boat: Lagoon 46 / Searay Sundancer 350

To be honest, it might be a combination of adjuster and Marina. My neighbor has a boat in this marina. The Marina won't let him move his because it is "unsafe" to approach the boats.

I am getting from him that the adjuster told him not to move it until it was seen...and that might be a safety thing as well. d

Personally, we have a small power boat here that was trapped under some pylons after the storm. We went over early in the morning two days after the Hurricane and spent a couple hours freeing it and moved it. Good thing we did. The Marina closed all access to the Marina except for emergency response personnel for two weeks. Port Sanibel Marina was the center location for rescue operations being the closest marina to Sanibel on the land side of the causeway.

As a side note: Every sailboat that left their sails up is destroyed. The one guy that I saw taking 6+ hours to get all sails and rigging down is ok (except for other boats hitting his - one being the demasted sailboat next to him).
HabibiDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 20:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabibiDah View Post
This is so sad to see. Owners can't move their boats until the insurance adjuster views them,
I'm pretty sure that 1) that's not a thing, and 2) something got lost in the translation there. You can always move a vehicle/vessel in order to save property (others, or yours). You can take photos to show the conditions.

One thing they don't like, though, are profiteers coming to move boats and billing the insurance companies for their "services".

After a hurricane, the local people who are competent and capable of successfully saving boats are very busy. They're doing triage, so it's hard to get good help. This situation attracts pirates.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:15   #7

Boat: Hunter 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabibiDah View Post
This is so sad to see. Owners can't move their boats until the insurance adjuster views them, but in the weeks between the hurricane and them moving the boat, the damage just gets worse and worse.

This is in my Marina. A Saona 47 ended up on the dock as the storm surge receded. Not a huge deal. Coult probably have been brought down with minimal damage. The second picture is two weeks later. The entire aft is underwater and the boat is probably totaled.

Side note: The owners didn't take the sails down and tied to the cleats instead of the pylons.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4QyEWJNyBAQntKPc8
Any idea who the owner might be?
I am bidding on th is boat and it's likely the owner pulled stuff off to sell it back to the high bidder.
Thanks for any info.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:23   #8

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismck View Post
Any idea who the owner might be?
I am bidding on th is boat and it's likely the owner pulled stuff off to sell it back to the high bidder.
Thanks for any info.
Where do you find a listing of damaged boats to bid on?
Sun and Moon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:46   #9

I see this being the marina more than the insurance company, as the marinas wouldn't anyone being hurt because the boat slipped and crushed someone, or they stepped on a broken board on the dock and got tetanus.
sailingunity is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hurricane