Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2023, 09:12   #1
ZFG

Boat: Passport 42
Things to ask when buying a boat out of state

Hello CF, long time reader, first time posting.

I am boat shopping for cruising sailboats (80s, 40-44 ft, sloop rigged, 100K budget) the East Coast, and I live in the Western US.

Before I get on a plane and fly to look at a boat, I want to have some purchase agreement signed (contingent on inspection and survey of course) and a deposit made so i have some assurance its not getting sold out from under me and I waste my time and money traveling.

What specific things would you inquire about, past the yacht world ad, or additional pictures you would request, or other documentation you would request to get a better, more confident sense of the boat prior to getting a deposit and contract going?

In many cases the yachtworld ads are pretty thorough with plenty of pictures and a good list of equipment, I just dont want to fly across the country and have the bottom covered in blisters or the engine not working, or surprise water damage not visible in the photos.

I searched for the topic but pretty much everything is about sales tax and registration, not the actual process of buying the boat remotely, before going to look at it.

So, if you were trying to vet a boat a few thousand miles away, before going to see it, what would you ask for/inquire about.

I'm particularly interested in this Passport 42 in FL:
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...rt-42-8872348/
ZFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 11:08   #2

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Re: Things to ask when buying a boat out of state

So you would like the sellers to pay for your flights.
First class or economy?

If I was a seller and got a request like that I would assume a con.

Look for a boat in the western US.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 11:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Look at the photos here and consider what photos to ask for.
They don't show you this stuff on Yacht World ...
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 14-06-2023, 11:11   #4
ZFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BTM View Post
So you would like the sellers to pay for your flights.
First class or economy?

If I was a seller and got a request like that I would assume a con.

Look for a boat in the western US.
Did I say I wanted the seller to pay for anything, flights or otherwise? What part of that question indicates it is a con? If I pay a good faith deposit on a boat because i'm flying in from out of state and dont want to show up for it to be gone how is that a con?

What would be your approach to this situation then?
Old 14-06-2023, 11:15   #5

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Get a pre-purchase survey done.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 11:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFG View Post
Did I say I wanted the seller to pay for anything, flights or otherwise? What part of that question indicates it is a con? If I pay a good faith deposit on a boat because i'm flying in from out of state and dont want to show up for it to be gone how is that a con?

What would be your approach to this situation then?
Not to worry. some are not worth responding to.
Old 14-06-2023, 11:20   #7
ZFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Look at the photos here and consider what photos to ask for.
They don't show you this stuff on Yacht World ...
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
I have read through that page numerous times and plan to do that pre survey myself on any boat I look at. For the passport I've asked for additional pictures of deck level standing rigging, the age of the rigging, the mast base and the bilges, as well as pictures of through hulls and over all condition.

I could attempt to negotiate a price now and pay a deposit, then jump on a plane to fly there and begin the survey process, i'm just trying to figure out what I dont know to ask when going about the purchase process in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Get a pre-purchase survey done.
I plan on it, but i would like to look at the boat in person and do the pre survey before paying an actual surveyor a few thousand dollars to do theirs. Unless the community thinks that's an unrealistic process

Thanks
Old 14-06-2023, 11:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFG View Post
I have read through that page numerous times and plan to do that pre survey myself on any boat I look at. For the passport I've asked for additional pictures of deck level standing rigging, the age of the rigging, the mast base and the bilges, as well as pictures of through hulls and over all condition.

I could attempt to negotiate a price now and pay a deposit, then jump on a plane to fly there and begin the survey process, i'm just trying to figure out what I dont know to ask when going about the purchase process in that order.

Thanks
Glad my web page was of use.
Old 14-06-2023, 11:31   #9

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I have had 3 boats.
If the deposit is not much, not big deal.

This is what has worked for me, I have never done a pre purchase deposit, the surveyor comes from my side, not the broker's or owner's side, on shore survey and sailing motoring survey, once the faults are found, I negotiate down the price. If he accepts my offer, I sign, if not, I find another one.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 12:37   #10

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

IMO you have done/are doing all you can. Words and pictures only tell the story they are wanting to tell. If the boat looks like something you are interested in and passes the initial test, then you must go to the boat. If you look closely and objectively (sometimes hard) there won't be too many unknowns left.

If you are planning on trucking the boat across the country don't under estimate the expense of decommissioning/hauling/recommissioning the boat. This will not be an insignificant percentage of a 100K boat. You could buy a boat closer to home in the 120K-130K+ range and have spent no more money all in.

Good luck with you boat hunting.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 12:41   #11
ZFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
IMO you have done/are doing all you can. Words and pictures only tell the story they are wanting to tell. If the boat looks like something you are interested in and passes the initial test, then you must go to the boat. If you look closely and objectively (sometimes hard) there won't be too many unknowns left.

If you are planning on trucking the boat across the country don't under estimate the expense of decommissioning/hauling/recommissioning the boat. This will not be an insignificant percentage of a 100K boat. You could buy a boat closer to home in the 120K-130K+ range and have spent no more money all in.

Good luck with you boat hunting.

Foster
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on sailing it on the East Coast/Carib for a few years. There are WAY more boats on the west coast that fit my wants list, but i have accepted that instead of spending the money on trucking, it should go to buying a better boat in the region of use. So decommission/transport is not part of the equation.
Old 14-06-2023, 12:48   #12

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Good luck with the boat. Looking at the pictures it definitely has some things to address as all old boats have. But she is beautiful and definitely a boat with a reputation for quality. Hope it all works out.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 13:02   #13
ZFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
Good luck with the boat. Looking at the pictures it definitely has some things to address as all old boats have. But she is beautiful and definitely a boat with a reputation for quality. Hope it all works out.

Foster
Just wondering what things you noticed from the pics that stood out that need to be addressed. The sailors here in CF certainly have a well trained eye for boats and their subtle issues!
Old 14-06-2023, 13:06   #14

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

On a $100K budget you are worried about $700 ( price of a round trip from LAX to FLL)

As a seller I would doubt you had the $100K, would ask for a hefty deposit to make sure.

If you like the boat, hop on a plane, take a look and make an offer.

Otherwise, offer full price subject to survey.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 13:46   #15

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Don't be afraid to touch and use everything check that everything works as intended. Pay special attention to any wood you see, if you see streaks, that's water ingress, check plywood for delamination too. When you walk through the boat, look for what you would hold on to if the boat was moving around. It's nice to know if it has good handholds or not. Try to operate some seacocks too. All valves should work.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, buying a boat