Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 18:02   #16

Re: Things, winds and ways within weather systems

Duggy

I grew up on the Cornish coast where the Channel and the Atlantic has only 18 miles of land separating them, things don't always follow the standard patterns !

it's weird how you get the feeling to turn for home early or stay at anchor for the night because it's going to be calm
I am sure you get tuned into when a warm front is coming your way and the pressure starts to fall. But after 30+ years of winging it I read up on why - things make a little more sense now !
but don't be fooled because the uk weather obviously doesn't always agree with the author

I moved to the Caribbean and spent the first 6 months cutting my fishing days short when I saw that anvil top cloud, only to sit at my dock and see only a small increase in wind ( over there it's just the island effect)
when in the channel it was time to get my tail between my legs !

Sailing the west coast of St Kitts I experienced my first Catabatic wind, 5knts to 46knts in under a minute and it went as soon as it came ! But you could see the seas surface boil from the 1/2 mile to the shore

My advise is to get the various forecasts from the www. Then keep a 'weather eye' on the sky ( and sea as Boaty says after reading the basics on weather systems and fronts..... it's amazing how it all starts to make sense when your out there !
Happy boating

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather, wind