Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2011, 22:46   #61

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Things You Don't Like About Cruisers . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the "idiots," as you call em, dont leave docks, so isnt hard to avoid em.
Go Zee. . . . Go Zee . . . ! You are so right gal!
Old 28-08-2011, 22:58   #62

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The liveaboards around me, some whose vessels have several inches of vegetable growth on their hulls, never have caused me trouble. They're friendly. I'm thankful they're around 24/7 to watch for trouble.
Old 28-08-2011, 23:05   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Every cruiser is born with just a certain amount of tolerance. By the time you get to the status of old cruiser, you've had to deal with so many young dickheads all your 'nice' is used up!

You don't want grumpy old cruisers?
Don't be a young dickhead.... or an old one for that matter!

Grumpy is not an action... it's a REaction!
There is a difference between tired of dealing with idiots and being a grumpy (miserable) cruiserer.

I personally HATE bumblebees - power boaters who ain't (yes ain't - I am southern USA, and it is a word here) got a a clue as to respect of space or the behavior of water. They are idiots with a boat and no sense. They don't know that they are being jerks because they never took the time to learn how they should behave to prevent being perceived as jerks. They could afford the boat, they can drive a car - boats with engines aren't much different, right? - they have every right to be on the water. And they are jerks because they don't take the time to consider how their actions affect others - AKA dickheads.

You have to temper that with the fact that we all had to start somewhere. So if an apparent idiot rakes your boat, then repairs it, befriend him - he is good folk.

just my perspective
Old 28-08-2011, 23:08   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I'm not here.

Mark
I feel certain that you are entirely a figment of my imagination.
Old 28-08-2011, 23:48   #65

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
There is a difference between tired of dealing with idiots and being a grumpy (miserable) cruiserer.

I personally HATE bumblebees - power boaters who ain't (yes ain't - I am southern USA, and it is a word here) got a a clue as to respect of space or the behavior of water. They are idiots with a boat and no sense. They don't know that they are being jerks because they never took the time to learn how they should behave to prevent being perceived as jerks. They could afford the boat, they can drive a car - boats with engines aren't much different, right? - they have every right to be on the water. And they are jerks because they don't take the time to consider how their actions affect others - AKA dickheads.

You have to temper that with the fact that we all had to start somewhere. So if an apparent idiot rakes your boat, then repairs it, befriend him - he is good folk.

just my perspective
Mate, I'm not sure this counts. The OP said 'Things you don't like about cruisers'. These guys do not qualify as cruisers in any way, shape or form. But I'd be happy to grumble about them in another thread about 'Things you don't like in marinas'......
Old 28-08-2011, 23:52   #66

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
I personally HATE bumblebees - power boaters who ain't (yes ain't - I am southern USA, and it is a word here) got a a clue as to respect of space or the behavior of water. They are idiots with a boat and no sense. ...
Sounds like you have more than your quota of yahoos in the South, but I haven't been in the California Delta during the Fourth of July either. Around here, USCG craft and tugboats charge around without attempting to reduce their wakes around leisure craft. On the other hand, the high-speed (35-knot) ferries make an effort to keep their distance. They're working, and we're just in the way. Of course, there is the occasional ignoramous or goof-off too. My first defense is to avoid such personalities, the second is a VERY LOUD horn.

My life would be a little bit easier if sailboaters didn't change directions unexpectedly. After all, I'm not faster or more maneuverable than they.

Old 29-08-2011, 00:06   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Mate, I'm not sure this counts. The OP said 'Things you don't like about cruisers'. These guys do not qualify as cruisers in any way, shape or form. But I'd be happy to grumble about them in another thread about 'Things you don't like in marinas'......
The bumble bees were meant to be an example. My impression is that you imply that you can't be both a cruiser and a novice or ignorant. I beg to differ. Some of them have written books and some of those books I like - but they were not written by inconsiderate novices (ignorant or not). Inconsiderate is the key word and is the behavior that I believe many "grumpy old sailors" are tired of.
Old 29-08-2011, 00:28   #68

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:

just my perspective
Dickheadedness is an attitude, often the default attitude, unfortunately.

I'm very supportive of anyone, young or old, just starting out, making honest mistakes, and appreciating a bit of assistance. The keen to learn types are fine.
It's the ones who think they know it all, but aren't old or grumpy enough to get away with it!!!

I worked real hard at developing my grumpiness so I could piss off dickheads that deserve it.
But it didn't come easy. I tend to laugh a lot and see the the humour in most situations, and that totally spoils the effect... so I really have to concentrate when I want to be grumpy

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 02:58   #69

Boat: Triton 24

Albert Einstein is quoted as having said that common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. I also think we tend to collect prejudices as we get older, and become set in our ways. From this we may also accumulate various biases as we age, such as mentally hoarding each act of youthful (or powerboater, or *insert deposited prejudice*) foolishness we encounter while ignoring our own.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 03:22   #70
CLOD

Boat: none

I hate that there doesn't really appear to be any cruisers by our definition even at my marina
Old 29-08-2011, 03:45   #71
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG View Post
I think that there are very few active cruisers on this board.
What's a cruiser then?
Does day cruising with a few weekends and holidays qualify us?
Do the plans/dreams of sailing off into the blue qualify us?
Does a desire to listen to and learn from other cruisers who have done it qualify us?
What about those who want to start, and use this forum as a springboard to help us in the right direction (an opportunity those of use who started 15 years ago don't have)?

We have a huge variety of experience amongst our membership, and the only requirement for membership is a desire to go cruising (and the ability to be nice, of course)

Now' clearly, KEG, you are lucky enough to be out on your boat 24/7; with the occasional sojourn to an internet connection to communicate with us mere mortals. I am inordinately jealous, and thak you for sharing your wealth of experiences with us in order to help us to become better cruisers.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 04:15   #72
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG View Post
I think that there are very few active cruisers on this board.
As well as those who turn up on CF and then fairly quickly dissapear into the ether / lurkerland - have had quite a few folk who were "regulars" and who also disappear after a few years.......I like to think they made it into the wide blue yonder, rather than life overtook there dreams..........

My bet is that the majority of active cruisers are either lurkers (or pop in for info as and when needed) - or simply have better things to do (like a real life ).....when I am away from Jersey (or on boat - I drop out of pretty much all communication - with "home" and even internetland) - for me that is the whole purpose, am sure I am not alone on that.

FWIW although called "Cruisers Forum" and the reason for it's existence - seems in practice more about helping set folk up to go and then providing help / advice.........and for that (IMO) advice from a dozen folk who may have never been long term cruising, but who have a lifetime of experiance of boats (pleasure or proffessionally) or related useful skills would, on average, be a better source of info and guidance than someone who has simply spent a couple of years floating around in the sun (sitting on a boat abroad won't make someone a Diesel or Electronics Engineer - 20 years at work whilst "tied to the dock" might).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 04:31   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
...Offering drinks and snacks at my boat's christening helped to cement positive relationships.
What? So even the boats in America are christians? Yikes!
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 04:54   #74

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
The cruising community is uniformly old, white, and from Texas. If you scratch the surface a little it is not a pretty sight. Downright ugly.

We desperately need more Thai monks, African musicians, and Puerto Rican pole dancers.
You obviously haven't cruised where we have. Now 3/4 way around and in the Med. Majority of cruisers we have met from the Caribbean, through South Pacific, and now in eastern Med have been Dutch. Far and away the largest number have been Dutch. Second is German. In the South Pacific, third would be Canadian. Here in the Med, third would be UK. Also have met more than a few from South Africa and 2 from Kenya. Even met 2 boats from Liechtenstein.

Americans are way down on the list in numbers of cruisers, and those from Texas even farther down.

BTW, note that Bill and I are Texans. Like all other Texan cruisers we have encountered, we proudly fly the state flag of Texas beneath the port spreader. Often confuse others who think we must be from Chile.

You are correct, though, that the cruising community is comprised of at least 99% whites. Time for that to change.
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 13:20   #75

This thread is an exudus from everything that bugs us...it is not meant to point fingers or to insult others...the simple fact that we express and let the word out is enough to make things change for the better.

when I posted these threads I wanted peaples to think of something els then oracans and relef some tension.

thanks for sharing
rgds
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote