Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 09:34   #106

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: Things You Don't Like About Cruisers . . .

I love the roll bars on the Hunters - great place to hang stuff from. Good looking boats for tupperware. Looks like a great liveaboard, fun, weekend warrior type of boat to me.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 09:46   #107
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cherubinis are cherubinis. is a class by self. they actually sail and folks do well with them. enjoy and have smooth sailing!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 09:56   #108
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
I love the roll bars on the Hunters - great place to hang stuff from. Good looking boats for tupperware. Looks like a great liveaboard, fun, weekend warrior type of boat to me.

I have a Hunter 31'. Sails well and lives well. Someone with my exact boat won PHRF Boat of the Year for this region. The message I took from that is that if the boat doesn't sail well -- it's my fault.

I don't know what else a sailor could ask for. I do not feel I have to meet anyone else's arbitrary standards of what boat to choose to be a "real sailor." A real sailor goes out and sails.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 10:59   #109
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Kudos to Rakuflames! I know a family who purchased a mid 90's Hunter 33.5, upgraded her and cruised her for a year from the Great Lakes to the Bahamas and back. Was it their ideal cruising boat? No, but it was what they could afford and it enabled them to get away cruising much earlier than if they had waited to purchase their 'dream boat'. It also served them well in varying conditions.

I recognize that some people can't help being arrogant elitists regarding boats, just as with everything else. However, I suspect that most people who use inflammatory and demeaning language in describing someone else's boat are neither arrogant, nor elitist. It is, sadly, a byproduct of the internet - it is much easier to be insensitve in this environment, than when speaking with someone face to face.

By all means express opinions concerning someone else's boat, when asked for. However even then, IMO we should attempt to use a modicum of tact. Afterall, this is supposed to be a 'community' in which all members, no matter what they sail, are valued and respected.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 11:11   #110
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my boat is a leaky teaky in most circles, and has a reputation as being a bad boat to sail----i have to laugh at them. any boat out and about in action and not a dock queen is a good boat--look at markj--he sailed around the world in a beneteau. awesome. sailors are sailors. boats are boats. i see the ones in docks locked up and abandoned --that is a sad thing. most folks who sail from kali seem to leave their boats in slips for many years then sell em. the ones who continue are cruisers. has aways been a wonderment to me why some folks buy a very pricey boat and sail only so far them abandon it to strange ports and cease cruising, yet pretend to be cruisers, despite never leaving dock and owning condos in other places. curious.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 11:14   #111
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Things You Don't Like About Cruisers . . .

Cherubini's... heapa crap..
I spent a year in Oriental, NC... listening to folk saying "Yer Dead if you try sailing that to the UK..." so I did with great hopes... it bloody made it...
So then I tried a Hurley 22 across the Biscay in December....
Crap boats.... they just won't sink....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 11:19   #112
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Schaaf View Post
Funny, I lived aboard for 19 years on a 1980 Hunter 33 (new?old?somewhere in between?) She was a Cherubini design, from the original line of Hunters. Cherubini was a very respected designer, whose Cherubini 44 was and is very well thought of. The Hunter 33 was an evolution of another design of his, one of his favorites, called a Raider, I believe. His own family had one. The Cherubini Hunters were a very different design from the Hunters of today, but they were built to a price then, too.

Anyway, I racked up around 20,000 offshore miles, mostly singlehanded, on that boat, and had a ball most of the time, although it was not without its dramatic moments. During that time my sailing included most of the California coast and lots of time in the Sea of Cortez. Hunters of that era looked a lot like Rangers, or Islanders or Cals. Some were built very well, some medium, and some poorly. Mine was medium, but six years of bashing around the SF Bay found its weaknesses, which I beefed up.

I sail a bigger, beefier cat these days, a lot of it offshore, but still own the Hunter, and think of her quite fondly. I would have taken her just about anywhere, when she was my home, but not without care and attention. Still, she was a very solid boat. What I remember most clearly about cruising aboard her was the great number of boats that only got underway to make a passage of some sort. In between, they just stayed on their anchor, or mooring, or in their slips. This included lots of big boats, and lots of older boats, including lots of pretty old classics, that were just too much trouble to take out for a fun afternoon. My motto was that I was always ready to sail in 15 minutes, and I would go out for lots of daysails, in between the passages to here and there. I often took guests from the big old beefy classics. Then again, I love to sail, so I always felt that a cruising boat, above all, should be fun and nimble and easy to sail. The Hunter was that. Oh, the other guys on those bigger, older boats seemed to spend a lot more time fixing them, too.......

But, anyone who feels that NO one who sails seriously sails a Hunter (or something from just about any other successful production builder) has his or her blinders on, or maybe is not out sailing enough to see the others that are doing so.
Cherubini 44 The sweetest boat a float..IMO..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 11:23   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
... By all means express opinions concerning someone else's boat, when asked for. However even then, IMO we should attempt to use a modicum of tact. Afterall, this is supposed to be a 'community' in which all members, no matter what they sail, are valued and respected.
Brad
Here, here.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 11:40   #114

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Here, here.
Here,here? Hear here? Here Hear? Hear hear?

Har, har!

Jim
Old 22-09-2011, 12:35   #115
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my boat is a leaky teaky in most circles, and has a reputation as being a bad boat to sail----i have to laugh at them. any boat out and about in action and not a dock queen is a good boat--look at markj--he sailed around the world in a beneteau. awesome. sailors are sailors. boats are boats. i see the ones in docks locked up and abandoned --that is a sad thing. most folks who sail from kali seem to leave their boats in slips for many years then sell em. the ones who continue are cruisers. has aways been a wonderment to me why some folks buy a very pricey boat and sail only so far them abandon it to strange ports and cease cruising, yet pretend to be cruisers, despite never leaving dock and owning condos in other places. curious.

Exactly. I know someone else who won PHRF for this area in a 28' Cape Dory. Not putting them down by any means but they're not thought of as racers. But this guy is really good and knew how to squeeze every last bit of speed out of his boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 21:11   #116

pirate Re: Things You Don't Like About Cruisers . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the alleged commuter cruisers here commute from condo on the water to see their boat, water it in fresh water and go back to condo. they never remove the boat from the slip.
i have met commuter cruisers who commute IN THEIR OLD BOATS up into sea of cortez and back for winter/summer migration to avoid hurrycames. NONE of these on the water all the time and sailing constantly folk is is in a catahuntebenelina. these folks also anchor a lot. they are a good lot.
if someone is gonna commuter cruise here, they surely didnt do it in a catahuntebenelina-- as i said previously, there are fewer than 10 here in mazatlan,in all 4 marinas in this basin, and ALL are dock queens.
read the list of baja haha entrants. MOST are NOT sailing the catahuntebenelinas. those boats really dont seem to like pacific winds and seas coming up their transoms.
Maybe you should read the list. I count 38 of the 164 entrants are Hunter, Catalina, Bene and Junneau. Didn't do a head count, but Catalina looks like the most represented maker. (16) Hunter 11, including my own. Curiously (?) no Formosas (although one CT41)
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 07:57   #117

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I thought this thread was what we didnt like about cruisers - not what we didnt like about the boats they sailed?
I've had several"dream boats" after awhile, I "dream" about getting a different one or I wish I had this and I wish I had that.
It's all ABOUT DREAMING, isn't it?
When I've had my belly full of unbearable heat, I dream about being somewhere where it's cool. When I'm sick of the rain, I dream of somewhere hot & dry. When I'm beating to weather, I,m dreaming of sailing down wind, etc, etc.
I think we're all big dreamers!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote