Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2023, 12:19   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Things you wish you would have done...

Ditto on having a survey done, it is a good investment.
I bought 2 new boats, had them surveyed, one shortly before delivery and the other one 3 days after delivery.
Lots of items, some big and some small.
Money well spent.
Old 24-11-2023, 04:46   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I wish I could be stupid, and ugly, for just one day.

Being stupid & ugly, every day, sucks.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 11:26   #18

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E O Mai View Post
Cymyer - No warranty issue on your Jeanneau? That's great to hear since Beneteau and Jenneau are owned by the same company. I know they're not manufactured in the same location but hopefully they share some of the same QA/QC processes.

Greg
Just be prepared for a very sloooww roll on warranty issues. We reported fairly minor issues on our new Beneteau in June. Still waiting on final fixes. And that is with weekly pestering them.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 11:29   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs41escapade View Post
Just be prepared for a very sloooww roll on warranty issues. We reported fairly minor issues on our new Beneteau in June. Still waiting on final fixes. And that is with weekly pestering them.
Good luck with your warranty issues.

Our Jeanneau was made in the South Carolina plant shortly before it shut down. We are very happy with the quality.
cymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 17:19   #20

Boat: Alerion 20

It looks like Beneteau has offloaded all of their parts ordering from Beneteau corporate to Beneteau dealers.
Don't know if that's the same for the warranty work also.

gs41escapade - who was your dealer if you don't mind me asking...

Greg
E O Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 08:10   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

The suggestion of having a pre-acceptance survey performed is a great idea.

Just like when buying a home: Produce a "punch-list" of items to that need to be addressed before accepting the boat.

Good point on the engine. There will probably be a "run-in " period (xx hours) after which the oil needs to be changed (possible in the transmission as well). Valve clearances will need to be checked. Belt re-tensioned. There may be some retorquing of bolts like the engine mounts.

Make sure to get the warranty information for all of the "bolt on's" on the boat (i.e. windlass, winches, electronics) and address up front (in writing) WHO supports any technical issues/failures during warranty period. (the boat mfg or equipment manufacturer).
(Even items like the hull paint....)

Make sure they provide all of the manuals for the equipment.

My two cents

cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 08:18   #22

You should have lots of trouble free years ahead with your new Beneteau. I can’t imagine anything major popping up and if it does your covered by a warranty with the dealership.
Go through and double check the commissioning list your new boat will come with for some peace of mind.

No worries,

Dave
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 08:24   #23

Boat: X442

Lift the winches and check that they're aligned correctly. Drive pal on the inside of the drum in same place as where the tensioned sheet/halyard meets the drum. When I took delivery of my boat the genoa winches were 180deg out of line. In operation you'll never know, but the forces on the centre bearing are very large indeed = rapid wear.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 10:11   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

There are usually a number of small items that will show up within a months or two of sailing a new boat. I usually recommend keeping the boat close to the selling dealer for those first few months. It’s a lot easier to get the warranty items repaired when you don’t have to sail a long way to the dealer.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 11:16   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
The suggestion of having a pre-acceptance survey performed is a great idea.

Just like when buying a home: Produce a "punch-list" of items to that need to be addressed before accepting the boat.

Good point on the engine. There will probably be a "run-in " period (xx hours) after which the oil needs to be changed (possible in the transmission as well). Valve clearances will need to be checked. Belt re-tensioned. There may be some retorquing of bolts like the engine mounts.

Make sure to get the warranty information for all of the "bolt on's" on the boat (i.e. windlass, winches, electronics) and address up front (in writing) WHO supports any technical issues/failures during warranty period. (the boat mfg or equipment manufacturer).
(Even items like the hull paint....)

Make sure they provide all of the manuals for the equipment.

My two cents

cheers.
Also:
Cylinder head bolts may need to be retorqued. (Check the engine manual...)
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 11:17   #26

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Congratulations! Never had a new boat. Must be very nice 😊
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 12:09   #27

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

If you have the survey done, follow the surveyor around, trying hard not to be a PIA. It is a good way to do a first pass at learning your boat's systems in a methodical fashion. This doesn't mean you should ignore the advice above about going through each system and learning it well in advance of the day you need to know it in an emergency.

As you go through each part of the boat, keep asking yourself how you would use, fix, monitor, maintain, replace each part. e.g. look at the windlass, anchor, bridle, etc. and go through in your head how your anchoring process would work; look at your pumps and go through how you would shut off power, shut off water, cap any lines you would disconnect doing service, replace the impeller, clean the filter, etc.

Learn where to shut every system off - especially water - where the valves are on the through hulls, where the water supply cutoff is for the stuck toilet, where the shutoffs are for engine inlets, etc.

Check your safety equipment from top to bottom - are the jacklines in the right place; where is/will be your EPIRB mount, where is your horn/lighting/throwing flotation device and is it conveniently accessible (e.g., in a Raymarine VHF, the horn is a third level menu item that few people will be able to find quickly in an emergency).

If you haul the boat for a survey or acceptance or some other reason, do a video walkaround with voiceover and locations referenced to things you can see from on deck. It's great to show where through hulls are (e.g., where to dive to look for a clogged water inlet), where not to place lift straps, relative position of prop to rudder, etc.

Check every bilge pump and every float switch. I've seen several where the float switch is blocked or doesn't activate the lower bilge pump. (Long story about rationales and arguments around making the lowest float switch only sound an alarm is beyond this thread. But, I have known more than one person who was surprised to discover that their float switch did not actually turn on the bilge pump.)
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 12:35   #28

I'll say:
-add a good fuel filter prior to the engine if it doesn't come with one like a Racor or any good filter. Watch out for brands/types that charge a lot for the replacement filter cartridges while the filter housing is cheap.
-Not an Armor All fan.
-For steel things like motor mounts and the mount threads, spray them often or consider spraying with a coating like CRC 5-56 or RP342. This stays a little tacky but clings and lasts like Cosmoline does on stored military parts.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 22:09   #29

Boat: Alerion 20

I'm impressed with all the excellent info and insights.
There's years worth of experience, money, sweat, swears in your works. Thank you!
E O Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 13:46   #30

Boat: S&S 40

Maybe consider covering the whole boat in bubble wrap...?
Icarus is online now   Reply With Quote