Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 07:37   #31

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: Thinking of an ASA sailing school

I’ve taken all the ASA courses through 106, I highly recommend them. I suggest you start with just the 101 course and do 103/104 later. The 101 course will teach you how to sail a small boat, without instruments and probably no motor. It doesn’t sound glamorous, but in the long run you’ll be a better sailor - don’t under estimate the ability to sail a small boat well. You need to develop your sailing “instincts” and this is harder to do on a bigger boat. Take the 101 course and spend the next year practicing on the smaller boats, then come back for the Coastal Cruising courses.

As far as the time, have you talked to Marina Sailing to see if they would do lessons on your time? You might have to pay a few bucks more, but it will work for your schedule. Most of the instructors are captains with an ASA teaching cert, unless they do it as a second job, they’re usually looking for additional work during the week.

I don’t know if Ventura has much of a regatta scene, but if they do, try to crew on someone’s boat. Racing is another great way to get experience, meet other sailors and is a lot of fun.

Good luck!
SV Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:49   #32

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

I haven't made the call yet, I hurt my left elbow somehow. It's in a sling and things heal slowly when you're an old fart. I didn't think the school would appreciate trying to teach some gimpy old dude who cant pull up his own pants, let alone a sail, right now. Maybe in a week or 2 once the doc let's me go off to forage on my own again.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:58   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

"Skip the first boat" and "Buy the second" straight away ?!? I don't think you understand why people switch boats. It isn't money. You can not pay or be trained to handle or endure the conditions that your 'second boat' will provide.

You may learn you love sailing...hate sailing...love or hate marinas...love or hate gensets...love or hate passage...love or hate multihulls / monohulls...love or hate galley up or down...love or hate a 50' mast versus an 80' mast...want more systems or less systems...and on and on.

Money is only wasted if you buy the boat you need next year when you buy the boat you need this year.

Be patient. Buy the newest smallest boat that will do the job OR the most simple cheapest boat that will do the job. Either of those are easy to sell when you know what you want on the next boat...and in 2-5 years you'll do it again.

...or need a canal boat for Europe !! Hehehe
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 13:31   #34

If my discretionary hours were constrained as heavily as yours I'd go the straight private instruction + boat rental route. ASA 101 and 103 require about 10 hours of instruction each. In Texas, the school I used charges around $75 an hour. In nanny states I can see that being 30-50% higher. You may also get the added benefit of bringing a friend or significant other at no additional charge (depending on the school).
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:30   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
There are only 2 ASA schools here, Marina Sailing and a "guy with a boat" who can sign off on the ASA certification.
Mmm, Rob, I think either the situation is a little more complex or the guy isn't telling the truth. The "guy with a boat" needs to be associated with a sailing school in some manner.

As to the OP's question, there is no statement about the format of the 101/103 class. It can be done one day per week, 2 days a week, 3 days a week, etc. It can be done irregularly whenever you can get together. Obviously, "a day here and there" is not the most efficient way to do things, but it can be done. Your best bet is to call the school and find out what they can offer in the way of scheduling.

Who am I? A current ASA instructor, currently beached, damn it.... :/
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 07:50   #36

Well, I made the call to Marina Sailing. The elbow/arm isn't healed up yet but there's a 6 week waiting list so that should give me some time for it to stop hurting when I lift things.

I found out the classes are only a couple/three of hours long and I think I can manage to find the time on the weekends if I work a little later in the evenings after class. We shall see how that works out but with the currently reduced work load from Covid it's potentially manageable.

I also get the impression that there isn't much actual sailing done per lesson and that a lot of it is inside the harbor with very little outside the breakwater. The 2 "night sails" with one being "on board but at the dock" also tells me that the actual sailing time is limited. (BTW, those "night sails" are gonna kill me, they go until 10 pm and I'm usually asleep in bed by 9. Yeah I'm not much fun at a party but I think I already mentioned that I have no life.) I don't have a problem with staying in the harbor as long as I'm learning to actually sail and not just bobbing around for a couple of hours.

So, anyway, the reservation is made and when a spot opens up I'll be taking the class.
Old 17-10-2020, 11:20   #37

Quote:
I found out the classes are only a couple/three of hours long ...

I also get the impression that there isn't much actual sailing done per lesson and that a lot of it is inside the harbor with very little outside the breakwater. The 2 "night sails" with one being "on board but at the dock" also tells me that the actual sailing time is limited...
I know you are time and location constrained but that does not sound like a good setup for ASA 101 or ASA 103 classes. Or are you taking ASA 111?

For ASA 101 and 103, we were on the boat all day. Maybe an hour or so at the dock talking things over, practicing knots, etc. Then at least 7-8 hours operating the boat. Sometimes more. Operating was docking/undocking and other drills under power, just getting in/out of the inlet, and most of the time sailing on the Atlantic. There were just the two of us in the class and I would guess we had 3-4 or so hours each day at the helm and a similar amount of time as crew.

Before class and after class we hit the books and practiced our knots. It was a six day class and we did stay on one of the boats during that period to save money and time. The class was a bunch of work. We really had to study the books and knot tying. I was not really worried about the book work, but with the knots, you can tie them or you can't.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 13:42   #38

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Well, I made the call to Marina Sailing. The elbow/arm isn't healed up yet but there's a 6 week waiting list so that should give me some time for it to stop hurting when I lift things.

I found out the classes are only a couple/three of hours long and I think I can manage to find the time on the weekends if I work a little later in the evenings after class. We shall see how that works out but with the currently reduced work load from Covid it's potentially manageable.

I also get the impression that there isn't much actual sailing done per lesson and that a lot of it is inside the harbor with very little outside the breakwater. The 2 "night sails" with one being "on board but at the dock" also tells me that the actual sailing time is limited. (BTW, those "night sails" are gonna kill me, they go until 10 pm and I'm usually asleep in bed by 9. Yeah I'm not much fun at a party but I think I already mentioned that I have no life.) I don't have a problem with staying in the harbor as long as I'm learning to actually sail and not just bobbing around for a couple of hours.

So, anyway, the reservation is made and when a spot opens up I'll be taking the class.

If you get bored, you can buy the ASA 101/103/104 books off Amazon and read what you'll be learning.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 15:32   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
If you get bored, you can buy the ASA 101/103/104 books off Amazon and read what you'll be learning.
A good school should send those to you well ahead of time.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 15:59   #40

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

Rob, a previous comment mentions getting on a race crew. In So Cal there are many club events where skippers are always looking for crew. Your experience will always be on the boat, out of the breakwater, and it will be free. One year on an active racing boat will be more than all the classes (but yes, take the classes too).

How to do it? Call the yacht clubs and find out when they are racing. Go to the marina about an hour ahead of time and ask everyone you see getting out of a car and heading to the docks if they need crew. Even with no experience someone will take you. Next time it will be easier, you will have experience. Anyhow, the first guy will probably ask you back. Then all you have to do is show up, every time, and do what they tell you to do, and you will learn a lot, about more than just how to sail and have fun, and meet people.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:42   #41

Well, a class opening came up. I paid my tuition and the first lesson is next Thursday afternoon.

Already learned something new in the ASA 101 book. And already found something incorrect in there too. My biggest problem is mostly likely not unusual - it's having all the new nomenclature on the tip of my tongue. I have to think about it first and that slows down my response time.

BTW, I WILL NOT say that I'm sailing to "leeward" (looward). If you're going to the loo, then you'd better either be skipping, my darling, or peeing over the rail downwind.
Old 08-01-2021, 13:22   #42

Quote:
Well, a class opening came up. I paid my tuition and the first lesson is next Thursday afternoon.

Already learned something new in the ASA 101 book. And already found something incorrect in there too. My biggest problem is mostly likely not unusual - it's having all the new nomenclature on the tip of my tongue. I have to think about it first and that slows down my response time.

BTW, I WILL NOT say that I'm sailing to "leeward" (looward). If you're going to the loo, then you'd better either be skipping, my darling, or peeing over the rail downwind.
Have Fun!

Start practicing you knots if you do not know them.

If you can answer the questions in the book, you can pass the written test.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-01-2021, 14:24   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Have Fun!

Start practicing you knots if you do not know them.

If you can answer the questions in the book, you can pass the written test.

Later,
Dan
Knots? Isn't that something like .86 miles per hour?

I suck at math...
Old 08-01-2021, 20:33   #44

Boat: Ontario 32

Hi, I’m an ASA instructor and captain (full disclosure, not bragging)

I’m biased to think that it’s a great option for learning. I don’t know about the “guy with a boat” option unless the ASA had him listed as a school. That’s a requirement to issue certification - so make sure that’s the case here.

However, it sounds like you might benefit from a vacation. Lots of schools run week long courses that offer 101/103/104 combos. There is a good argument for the schools that require time between courses - so if you get a combo, don’t confuse experience with education - take your time to get both.

If money’s not an option, just book private lessons. You can spread them out as needed.

Enjoy your journey.

Cheers
Cam
SV Trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:55   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Trillium View Post
Hi, I’m an ASA instructor and captain (full disclosure, not bragging)

There is a good argument for the schools that require time between courses - so if you get a combo, don’t confuse experience with education - take your time to get both.

Exactly. One's real learning is once you have some fundamentals, i.e., the classes, and then you go on our your own. We learn many things every time we go out. Some big things but many little things that are important.

Learning really kicks in when problems happen and you have to solve them on your own.

Last time I checked, the ASA recommendation is that one get 80 hours of boat time between 103 and 104. I think that is a really good recommendation. One might need less than 80 hours or one might need more, but the only way to tell is to go sailing and FAIRLY critique each trip. Not sure why but my wife and I fell into critiquing each trip from the first day. Might be part of my training but we have always talked over what went well and what hit the fan.

Our instructor thinks we are ready for 104, and I think he is mostly correct, but we want more boat time before 104. We are not in a hurry and this is supposed to be fun, though sometimes it has it's not fun moments, but that is often when one is getting some real good education.

Later,
Dan

Tags
asa, sail, sailing, sailing school, school