Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2016, 07:14   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Thistle owners?

My friend that sails and races Thistles finally responded. This what has to say:

"I haven't been sailing one lately but have double-handed them a fair bit although three crew is more typical. I wouldn't recommend single-handing one except for very calm conditions in warm water with competent rescuers standing by. Thistles are a challenge to launch/rig singlehanded. Two crew have a hard time in more then 8-10kts but a reefing or a cut down main could help. The centerboard doesn't pivot around a fixed pin and can fall out of the boat (same system as a Flying Scott). The hull doesn't have much form stability and once the rail is buried the boat easily floods (no self-bailing cockpit and many hulls have marginal flotation). It's challenging to self rescue with a full crew in any sort of waves and likely impossible single-handed."

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 07:58   #17

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I'm a dinghy sailor and I usually singlehand them. I love a light, fast centerboard boat, have three of them. Crew adds weight, weight slows you down.

I was surprised by everyone saying you need crew for this boat. Then I did some sailboatdata comparisons with other 17 footers. Apparently, the thistle carries more sail, a significant amount more, 25 to 30 percent more than comparable boats.

So, yeah, crew is probably a good idea, until you get experience.

Bungee the center board in, both of our faster boats have a way to keep the board down in a capsize.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-09-2016, 08:46   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicala View Post
Someone from another group directed me here saying there were some Thistle owners but I guess I'm it.
Something to keep in mind when you post is the time you post.

Your first post was at 2020 west coast US time on a Sunday before a workday.
The folks here are starting to wind down and think about shutting off computers except the night owls like me.
The folks on the east coast are already mostly done and in bed.
The folks in Europe are still in bed and the folks in Asia are up but unlikely to know much about a US made dinghy unless they are expats.

The followup post was at 0627 west coast time so probably got the east coast folks at a decent time, and the post would persist on the timeline list long enough for west coast folks to catch over the next several hours.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 18:40   #19

Thanks to all.
tropicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 15:51   #20

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

To revive a long dormant thread-
I have crewed in one Thistle regatta. Fast, exciting boat. I learned that swamping is slow.
I bought a derelict Thistle and have converted her into a nice little beach cruiser.
I singlehand, but she is a handful in anything more than 5-7 knots. I haven't sailed with crew. I have added three reefs and typically sail with one reef in, unless it is very light. Self bailing cockpit. Cabin and cockpit seats make her self rescuing and she self-rights from 80 degrees with the (ballasted original) centerboard down. A masthead float makes righting after capsize easy. I have been able to set and strike the spinnaker solo, but it is quite challenging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thistle underway.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	282036  
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote