Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 16:33   #1

Boat: S2 9.2 30'
Time moving on without me sucks

I need some help here. I am 75 and still, mostly solo, day sailing my S2 9.2. Some health issues but nothing extremely limiting. The maintenance is getting to me. I am being a wuss and avoiding the 10-15 k gusting to 20-25k days. The dreams of crossing oceans are just that. Ain’t going to happen. Snagging a mooring ball solo too often becomes a facebook video. Tacks and jibes I can handle without looking like a Chinese fire drill, if I plan ahead. Otherwise I spend a while sailing in circles. I do not see me giving up my greatest pleasure. Where do I go from here? Smaller boat? What boat? Hang out at the club looking for a ride? Probably save a small fortune in winter storage and routine maintenance. I don’t think I can replace the feeling of being out on the bay just me and Sugaree.
Rchido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 17:32   #2
cruiser

Re: Time moving on without me sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchido View Post
I need some help here. I am 75 and still, mostly solo, day sailing my S2 9.2. Some health issues but nothing extremely limiting. The maintenance is getting to me. I am being a wuss and avoiding the 10-15 k gusting to 20-25k days. The dreams of crossing oceans are just that. Ain’t going to happen. Snagging a mooring ball solo too often becomes a facebook video. Tacks and jibes I can handle without looking like a Chinese fire drill, if I plan ahead. Otherwise I spend a while sailing in circles. I do not see me giving up my greatest pleasure. Where do I go from here? Smaller boat? What boat? Hang out at the club looking for a ride? Probably save a small fortune in winter storage and routine maintenance. I don’t think I can replace the feeling of being out on the bay just me and Sugaree.
But mate, you apparently have a great quality that many half your age are lacking... a sense of humour and more importantly the ability to laugh at your self / situation. You will not grow old, but you may just slow a bit as you ripen!
Keep on laughing and be happy, 'cos that's all that matters...

Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 17:41   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Must be other retired sailors around tha either need crew or want to crew. I found local crew right here by posting for them back in my working days
Old 22-07-2018, 18:50   #4

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I sailed last weekend with a couple who’ve sailed the South Pacific. He is now 90 and she is 80. They daysail now on a smaller boat. And no he no longer does his own maintenance.
Old 22-07-2018, 19:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

You can usually find free competent help by speaking to a sailing school. Someone who has done ASA 101 would welcome the chance to practice sail trim, or help docking
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 03:20   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The title implies you are missing something, but the post says you are still sailing.

What exactly is it that you think is passing you by?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 03:28   #7

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I'm 70 and what I found several years ago, it's easier to run a powerboat. Especially with arthritis. I solo almost all the time because I like quiet. I don't see my end yet.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:01   #8

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

My mentor is now over 90 and still sailing. He doesn't do the grinding anymore though. He has people who sail with him who do the hard stuff and given that he's been sailing since he was fifteen, he is a great source of knowledge. I always learn something new when I sail with him. I am sure you too can get plenty of people who are willing to sail with you and do the hard labor.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:02   #9

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Our situations are almost identical but I have no problem single handing in my Alerion 28. I usually go out two or three times a week, weather permitting. It is like a big dingy: all lines are led aft and can be easily reached and handled without moving. I only use the winch for the halyards. For what its worth, there is one next to me in Basin 4 at Clipper that never goes out. Take a look.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:25   #10

I am 75 and a solo sailor. I find that I can do everything on board except for engine repair. So I hire a mechanic to do the work. In an emergency I can and do get into my engine room to do repair. Leaving in Sept for the Bahamas and the Caribbean and then back to Houston taking about a year or two. I have a Morgan 41 ketch and all the halyards and sheets are directed into the cockpit. Even my two single line reefing lines for the main are directed to the mid cockpit. I'm in good health and plan to solo sail for as long as I can. I like the quiet and do well by myself. Looking forward to meeting older sailors on my next trip to see how they handle the little things that need to be done which are in some ways harder to do now. Good luck and good sailing
Kingwoodie
s/v Margaret Ann
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 09:40   #11

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

When I was a kid (maybe 8 or 9) I was taught some of the most important, most funnest stuff by a man in his 70's - Mr. Wood. Never ever learned his first name, it was" Mr." I guess. He taught me how to make arrows and find the right feathers and put it all together to make beautiful arrows.

Sometimes I would just go sit on his porch with him and his dog and we wouldn't talk, just sit and watch the house across the street. Sometimes we would weed the marigolds marching in a row around the edge of his yard.

Anyway, I'm in my 60's now and still remember Mr. Wood.

Maybe you can find a kid interested in sailing. Teach him what we all love here on this site. Teach him to read the wind, sail the boat. Maybe just sit on the boat and watch the clouds.

Wouldn't that be cool?
Old 23-07-2018, 09:52   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Scale down if you must, don't stop. Remaining active and interested in life is the only effective treatment for the onset of old age. Get some crew, there are always youngsters looking to learn and that way you get to pass on your skills but stay skipper. Worth remembering that smaller boats react more quickly to less wind and sea so they do tend to need you to be more nimble rather than less.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:22   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchido View Post
It sucks but such is life. Ask me how I know. It's the MFG. date.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 10:39   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I down sized a year ago, in part because a smaller boat is more fun to work on (same problems but less physically demanding) and because I seem to swap boats every 10 years due to boredom.

I'm pleased. I've got nothing to prove.
Old 23-07-2018, 10:41   #15

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Great replies and positive encouragement. Good stuff !

We are still sailing, Erica and I, but now save up our doubloons for special sailing vacations as in international two week bare boating trips. BVI, Australia, Tahiti, Ireland, etc.

But,

I am getting to be well seasoned at 78, and Erica is , ah , hmmm, younger than myself. Both of us have been sailing a lot, plus we are fit and healthy, and still able to handle a sailing vessel in all conditions. But, we reef down, and roll in the jib to 110% at about 15 kts of wind. No weather helm.

But , there are two of us. I agree about having someone else on board, or sailing with other people on their boats. Friends who will let you share the sailing duties. Or, on board your own vessel, sharing your knowledge with other sailors, and being a team that reduces your single handed work load.

One thing is that you have experience, and you can use that to assist in keeping your hand in and continue to enjoy your passion for sailing and the sea.

If you chose to retire your vessel to new ownership, others have mentioned a sailing club. Many sailing clubs also have share a sail programs, where you can split the cost of the day's boat charter fee. Or even go on longer overnight cruises to favorite anchorages. No maintanence fees, slip fees, insurance, and have fun loving friends to sail with to share the duty.

You can impart and share you nautical knowledge and experiences, and they can share theirs. Have fun.

Also, you want to stay safe, and not get injured, or whacked , being out there solo.

You can keep the fun light illuminated , with Plan B, or C, or D.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote