Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2022, 21:15   #151

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Of course, we are from different places. Your perception on this won’t be the same as mine. But yes. That’s exactly how it works in my area.

You can tip your way into anything actually. You can cut lines, bend or break rules, and yes, respect is a commodity up for sale. Tipping can achieve all of that. And more.

But that’s not really the kind of tip I’m talking about. I’m talking about standard, customary tips that we have at Marina fuel docks. You are supposed to tip the dockhands here. You are also supposed to tip your doorman pretty big at Christmas when you live in New York City. There are a lot of tips that you have to make. And your doorman will do a bad job with your packages and not really be as friendly if you stiff him at Christmas.

In the case of the dockhands, they will definitely allow the people who tipped them to come in first. Wouldn’t you? Everybody’s working to make money. you want to maximize the money you make while you are working. So you let people who aren’t cheap to the front of the line. That’s just human nature. And from the deck of our boat, you are helping college kids and what
not to have a nice summer job. You are giving them a little bit more than the standard summer job wage. Making their day just a little bit brighter.

But of course, this is completely geographical and cultural. In my area, tipping is basically mandatory. If you don’t, you’re a big jerk. Especially if you’re rich enough to own a boat. That’s a luxury item. As much as we like to think we don’t have any money, we’re doing better than most people. To not tip when you have a luxury item like that is pretty much a travesty over here. I realize it’s different everywhere else.
Mate, just a quick question if I may, do you routinely tip all those that do for you that which you cannot do for yourself??

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 21:28   #152

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Ok, let me break it down, most non Americans dont like tipping ....for several reasons including they pay so much for everything they have no money to tip with, it's so hard to work out the numbers....soo really hard and lastly they have never lived on tips and made REALLY GOOD money.
You have travelled outside the US, right? Living in Europe, the UK or Aus is absolutely comparable to the US from a cost perspective, if not cheaper in some aspects.

Most non-Americans don’t like tipping because we tip for great service, not because it’s a forced action ingrained into our culture. I’m assuming the rest of your comment is tongue in cheek, as it’s utter nonsense otherwise....

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 00:03   #153

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Tipping is or at least was the norm in the UK. I recall tipping a barber 2 bob once because that was the going rate.

Meanwhile back during WW2 when two bob really was two bob.

A rural station, an RN Captain, and a little old lady. No sign of a porter.
Train pulls in - RN Captain assists little old lady with her suitcase.
She tips him half a crown.
Sez he - thinking he had been mistaken for a porter. 'Thank you ma'am you are more than generous'
Sez she ' don't mention it, its not as if you are just a midshipman'.
Old 22-03-2022, 03:20   #154
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Oh, man, that just makes it messier and messier! I do hate the entire concept of tipping.

So, if I'm reading your comment right....

* When a restaurant prices a burger at $20, the "real" price is $24 because you are expected to tip 20%
* When you have a bigger crowd, the restaurant adds a 20% service charge (usually mentioned on the menu), which is normally perceived as a mandatory tip (I've heard it explained that in crowds, the tip is often "forgotten"). So that burger starts off at $24
* But if there is a service charge, the waiter doesn't get any extra money to make that "reasonable wage" so we are then expected by social custom to pay ANOTHER 20% (on the $20, or the $24?). So that $20 burger is now $28, or maybe $29?

Why don't they just list the price at $29. It's like tires, where the tire is $100 but the bill is $175.

Really confusing isn’t it? I to would like the employer to pay a higher wage, charge a higher price to make up for his loss and get rid of tipping. That way I pretty much know where I stand when I walk in to purchase something and don’t have to worry if I’m doing the right thing.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 04:25   #155
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Do they or are you just projecting?

The only folks I know who tipped like crazy were the drunk guys with the bikini clad optional equipment who are trying to show off.
Maybe projecting somewhat, but dealing with dozens and dozens of marinas on a yearly basis and getting to know many owners and marina staff. I'm going with pretty spot on.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 04:56   #156
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Ahhh, the wonderful ability to be free. These people wanting to be tipped aren't being forced to work in an industry that relys on tips. Pretty much the same as nobody is forced to enter these establishments that expect it either. Does anybody really NOT understand how this works?
Old 22-03-2022, 07:44   #157

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i wasn't aware that marina employees worked for tips. a 5 minute pumpout is part of the service they provide
Having just joined this fraternity of boaters I'm in the same boat lol

No idea that any tips were expected and I don't give them. I'm certainly not tipping someone for a pump out or fueling me if they are just handing me the hose end.

While I also grew up in a non-tipping culture this expectation of a tip for practically everything is getting out of hand. There's a tip jar on the counter by the register practically everywhere, including in regular retail locations where the person behind the counter is doing nothing but ringing you up. Examples include the local liquor store and fishmonger. Its crazy.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 07:46   #158

Quote:
Well, all of you anti-tippers are giving sailors a bad name. Because every power boat that comes through gives a percentage to the dock hand. You guys are gonna be the cause of us being treated poorly at the dock. Thanks a lot.
I have not personally seen this. Limited experience but I've been more or less living aboard for a year and cruising 6 months. I haven't been looking for it, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone hand a tip to a dock hand.
Old 22-03-2022, 11:41   #159

Quote:
In the case of the dockhands, they will definitely allow the people who tipped them to come in first. Wouldn’t you? Everybody’s working to make money. you want to maximize the money you make while you are working. So you let people who aren’t cheap to the front of the line. That’s just human nature.
Plus it's great training for when they become elected officials later in life.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 13:02   #160

Boat: Nonsuch 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
First comes living wages then stop tipping....

The fact that most USians' reaction go these ideas is shock and horror, just shows how deeply brainwashed they have been by their wealthy masters over the past five decades
You haven't been paying attention. I think it's closer to 50/50 than it is to "most".
Old 23-03-2022, 06:46   #161

Quote:
When it comes to a waiter, why should their hourly wage be 3 times my final working wage -- when I had a 4 year college degree, a masters, a state license (that has a pass rate around 60%), and 40 years of progressively more responsible experience?
One common mistake people make is thinking that price is based on cost.

It is not. Pricing is based on value received, or perceived value received.

idk, maybe your masters is in "communication arts" or something lol

When I was 19 I ran the maintenance department of a three-store chain of ComputerLands. I had 4 employees. One of which was a 35 year old guy with a Masters in something entirely useless. Along with no useable skills he also had a massive chip on his shoulder.
Old 23-03-2022, 07:08   #162

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
One common mistake people make is thinking that price is based on cost.

It is not. Pricing is based on value received, or perceived value received.

idk, maybe your masters is in "communication arts" or something lol

When I was 19 I ran the maintenance department of a three-store chain of ComputerLands. I had 4 employees. One of which was a 35 year old guy with a Masters in something entirely useless. Along with no useable skills he also had a massive chip on his shoulder.

Agreed. In my 35+ year career, much of that managing and leading people I will take passion, postive attitude and experience over anything else including post-grads with degrees in obscure multi-faceted puffy areas, etc.
Old 23-03-2022, 07:39   #163

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Eleven pages, amazing. I can understand from those ice-locked, but certainly, those who can sail must have better things to do.

Well, at least we can add another revolving run-on topic to wannabees, guns, and anchoring.
Old 23-03-2022, 07:49   #164
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
When it comes to a waiter, why should their hourly wage be 3 times my final working wage -- when I had a 4 year college degree, a masters, a state license (that has a pass rate around 60%), and 40 years of progressively more responsible experience?
Boy, did this guy get into the wrong business
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 07:53   #165
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

This is one of the most expensive hobbies you can financially get into. Those that do menial service in this industry know this as well. Probably why they would rather work in this industry than flipping burgers at McDonalds. Tipping dock hands has been going on for many decades. Even when I was a teenager my dad always tipped something to dock hands. The great thing about living in the land of the free is that no one is forcing you to tip anyone, anywhere, in this country. No one's going to throw you off the dock if you don't. If you haven't ever been a dock hand just handing pump out hoses to a customer, then you don't know about the four shirt a day rule. It's a fiver, big deal. If that breaks your budget, then either refer to the first sentence or quite sailing and get involved to change this evil practice. Reminds me of the old joke, a lawyer hires a plumber to fix a minor leak. He finishes in 15 minutes and hands a bill of $180 to the lawyer. $18O! the Lawyer shouts, I'm a lawyer and I don't make $180 in 15 minutes. The plumber looks at him and says "Yeah, I didn't make that much when I was a lawyer either.