Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 07:09   #1

Tips for choosing your first cruising yacht

I am new to the world of sailing and considering purchasing my first cruising yacht. I want to know your opinion: what should you pay attention to when choosing a yacht for long trips? What basic characteristics are critical for comfortable and safe swimming? I will be grateful for any advice from experienced sailors!
Oliviaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Tips for choosing your first cruising yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliviaa View Post
I am new to the world of sailing and considering purchasing my first cruising yacht. I want to know your opinion: what should you pay attention to when choosing a yacht for long trips? What basic characteristics are critical for comfortable and safe swimming? I will be grateful for any advice from experienced sailors!
What do you plan to do? Where to go? ICW capable? How many aboard? Live aboard? Retired? Work remotely? Budget? You can work remotely and live aboard anywhere with Starlink.

Our first and last boat, now for sale after 12 years cruising and live aboard is Roxy. 58 foot 1984 Camper & Nicholson ketch. My biggest prior boat was a 320 pound Tornado beach cat. Big transition but we got over the size hurdles in about two weeks. Our longest transit was Hampton Va. to Virgin Gorda, 1500 miles and 1000 miles offshore , 7-1/2 days. We have completed eight years live aboard in the Caribbean. Many forum boats are listed under boats for sale. Find Roxy.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3923958

If you can be in Annapolis for the all sail boat show there will be a brokerage show October 10-15 at David Walters Yachts. Roxy and other featured boats will be there. The show itself features many new yachts and seminars as well as shoulders to rub. We joined Salty Dawgs there in 2016 where we got massive assistance and joined the rally to the Caribbean. Check for show times and events.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:32   #3

Thanks for your reply and for sharing your experience with Roxy!

I plan to use the yacht for long trips with several people on board, it is possible to live on it for long periods. Regarding ICW, yes, I would like the yacht to be capable of such routes. I still work remotely, so the availability of space for arranging the workplace is important. As for budget, I'm still looking at different options, but I'd like to find something within reasonable limits for a beginner
Oliviaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:44   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ICW means you must have a mast no more than 63 feet total air draft including antennas and a water draft of about 6 feet or less. ICW anchoring is problematic and marinas are expensive. Eastern Caribbean anchoring is free and plentiful, food is cheap. Excursions such as tours and hiking is great. We sold our house, eliminated taxes, insurance, energy costs, cars, 40 years of accumulated stuff.
Old Today, 07:56   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I would say start as small as you can .. but the definition of small is pretty vague. When I started sailing .. 32 feet was a yacht. Have you considered a trawler?
Old Today, 08:16   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If the OP is serious about extended offshore cruising and distance then go big or stay home. It is rare that we see anyone cruising in less than 40 feet. At 58 feet, we’re the biggest boat anyone saw in the Great Lakes. Once on the ocean, the Caribbean, we are in the pack. 32 feet is a day cruiser. We plan our transits but don’t worry a bit about 8-12 foot seas and 15-30 winds.

The OP could get involved with a sailing club and gain some chops on other people’s boats including club races before springing for his own boat.

Roxy in Antigua, English Harbor & Deep Bay. Typical boat traffic in Faulmouth Harbor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5132.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	293675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8550.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	461.3 KB
ID:	293676  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6337.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	293677  
Old Today, 08:17   #7

This thread seems odd. Most people don't ask what boat features are needed for safe swimming. The last thread that had that exact wording was bot generated.

If this is a real request, as a non-sailor I don't think you realize the implications of some things you're asking. For example, a yacht that is comfortable and properly equipped for several people to live aboard for long periods while also having a work area for you to work remotely, but be small enough to transit the ICW, is a challenge and will limit your choices.

Without any experience or knowledge of boats you won't even fully understand the answers.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:26   #8

Boat: Cal 33-2

For several people onboard and to live and work for longer periods, you are probably looking at something from the mid-30 foot range or larger. For comfortable and safe swimming, a "sugar scoop" stern makes a big difference. Lots of boats out there that would probably work for you, but budget will vary widely from about $50k for a late 80s/early 90s 35 footer to many times that for a newer larger boat.

For remote work, you will need good internet access. That can be an issue depending on where you will have the boat. WiFi can be fine or marginal in marinas. Cell service can be spotty. That will need some research.

Tags
cruising, yacht