Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2022, 05:47   #181

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: To Help or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Your cleating off your chain on your Sampson post seems to be working for you but I’d worry I might not be able to free it up under high load without putting my fingers at risk. Another option would be to take about a 4’-6’ piece of Dyneema and splice an eye in one end. Use that eye to secure that end to post and then pass the Dyneema through a close by link in the chain and then cleated off back on the same Sampson post. It’s rigged like a second, very short snubber and functions a lot like a chain stopper because it has no stretch.

I figure if I ever lose the snubber, I'd take another line, rolling hitch it to the chain and run it to the warping drum on the windlass so I can pull a little chain in to un-load the bit on the samson post for safe removal (it's probably not possible to remove with it under much load). I've thought about the dyneema strop as well, but there's not much length to play with before the strop runs into the roller area where I have to worry about chafe, etc. And the goal is to have the backup attachment provide minimum risk of failure.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 14:49   #182

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Someone did a great job reanchoring that drifting boat. It's in the same spot as 3 months ago.

A derelict boat dragged into me in Key West. Hailed CG and was told to call Florida Wildlife. Called them and they said I had to secure it till they could get it the next day. Said I would be responsible for damages it caused if I released it. From what others said, it had been secured by the CG and FWC several times already. Why didn't they take responsibility? Are they going to fix the scratches on my boat? You guessed it, of course not.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 15:59   #183

They can't make you secure it. That is stupid. It could be they are just tired of people calling them about the on-going issue.

You can live with scrathes.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 17:59   #184

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I should have added the CG refused to help even though there were no less than 13 CG boats tied to the dock in Key West.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 19:13   #185

I tried to post something but it messed up please ignore my post
Old 01-04-2022, 19:25   #186

Try again. The boat dragging in key west. Did you call pan pan or mayday. They will respond if life or property is in danger
Old 01-04-2022, 22:12   #187

Boat: Pearson 386

That is an interesting story posted by KMacDonald stating the CG suggests that you could be held responsible for releasing a derelict boat that drifted into yours. Tell them you only contacted them to possibly locate the vessel for help in determining its owner. Sorry to hear your boat was damaged. Sounds like you need a plan B and they are signing you up for someone else's problem. I would take pictures to document the event asap, make a record of its name, hull number, registration time and date as may help determine ownership, then let my insurance handle the rest should damages be warranted. Also you feel somewhat lucky to have been aboard to witness the incident but do not have a crew aboard as may be able to secure it and as best you could tell she may have already been released before she hit your boat. Take some additional pictures as she drags clear. In closing, I would provide for them the last known location and ask them to please contact you once they have secured it and determined it's owner.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 00:28   #188

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Someone did a great job reanchoring that drifting boat. It's in the same spot as 3 months ago.

A derelict boat dragged into me in Key West. Hailed CG and was told to call Florida Wildlife. Called them and they said I had to secure it till they could get it the next day. Said I would be responsible for damages it caused if I released it. From what others said, it had been secured by the CG and FWC several times already. Why didn't they take responsibility? Are they going to fix the scratches on my boat? You guessed it, of course not.
If the CG had already taken it upon themselves to re-anchor the boat, and it then dragged down onto you, they are now responsible for your damages. You cannot have one law for them and another for everyone else, least ways not in any sane civilised country.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote