Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 10:00   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: To Help or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Maybe the best option is to do something after dark if time allows. There is a current state registration sticker on the bow. Wonder if the state would contact the owner if I gave them the registration number.

I don't know how much help the state would be, but local marine police may attempt to contact the owner. If the boat isn't in any immediate danger (and isn't posing an immediate danger to other boats), I'd go for that option and see if someone can get in touch with the owner. If the boat becomes a danger and USCG and local marine police both don't want to do anything about it, then do something if you can.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 10:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

I would secure it, and keep it to myself.

Kind of like taking care of banging halyards.
Best taken care of with duct tape
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 10:37   #18

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I've done it a few times, but the last time, in the USA, was in 1997, when the local harbormaster warned me I was now responsible for the offending boat's damage, if it again dragged into the marina; after I had "helped" reset the diminutive anchor. They refused to take possession, since it was now anchored, again.

I had helped a hapless marina resident by towing the near derelect off his stern, where I found him trying to save his own boat by fending off with a tiny fender, and his own body.

I had arrived a few minutes before the less than helpful harbourmaster did.

I then announced my intention to tow the boat several hundred meters to windward, onto a shoal, in front of an expensive looking condo building, and tie it to a tree. As I hooked onto the boat, they took control of it, and attached it to a city owned mooring ball.

That was Annapolis, MD.

I don't care if he was right or wrong, but I've since considered myself forewarned about how things work there.

As far as I'm concerned, (in the USA) I don't touch anything, or anyone, unless expressly requested to do so, by the owner; or a life is endangered. That's what insurance is for, or so I've been told.

The last time I came across a life endangered in the USA, was in St Petersburg, FL. in 2019, and he didn't make it; but not for lack of trying. Fortunately there were many witnesses, and no way I could conceivably be held liable. Or so I think... Though, truth be told, most folks did not approach, other than to watch him die. I suppose they were worried about their own liabilities...

What a sin, to have to think of personal consequences before lending a helping hand to a fellow human being.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 14-02-2022, 11:21   #19

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

I tie them up without question, as do a couple other people at the dock. When it gets unusually stormy it’s fun to get out and wander around the dock to see what’s going on and do a few good deeds.

If I happen to see the owners later and they appear to be friendly people I’ll mention it, otherwise not. I lose a bit of line this way but gain a bit of beer.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 11:56   #20

I see I misread and the question is about anchored boats. That’s obviously tougher but I’d definitely try to help, as would anyone else around here.
Old 14-02-2022, 12:11   #21

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
I see I misread and the question is about anchored boats. That’s obviously tougher but I’d definitely try to help, as would anyone else around here.
Not from what I see here. 20 anchored boats and only one helped. Others even refused to help with various reasons given.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 12:29   #22

That sucks. In a small community like mine, people would help because that’s just what is done. Various motivations are involved I guess, many of which relate to living in a fishbowl and having to bump into those people again for the rest of your life. Still -mostly good motivations I think, and generally rewarded in the long run.
Old 14-02-2022, 12:38   #23

Boat: Norseman 447

It depends on the jurisdiction. But, in general, where I’m at, you’d be well advised to let the boat burn, or sink, or whatever. If one tries to help without being asked by the owner, other parties will be sure to include you in their lawsuits, under the "reasoning" that if you’d done things "right" it wouldn’t have happened.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 12:41   #24

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
That sucks. In a small community like mine, people would help because that’s just what is done. Various motivations are involved I guess, many of which relate to living in a fishbowl and having to bump into those people again for the rest of your life. Still -mostly good motivations I think, and generally rewarded in the long run.
The US is a very litigious society.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 12:58   #25

Boat: Norseman 447

Not just the US. When an uninsured boat catches fire with the owner's employee on board, the owner wants somebody to blame. If the burning boat then drifts around and catches other boats on fire, they or their insurance company wants somebody to blame. But since one has no legal obligation to help to protect property, you’re far better off to stand around and watch. That might not get you the "good neighbor"award, but it will keep you out of court. And no, this is not just speculation.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 13:15   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: To Help or Not

This happened in a marina in Sardinia I was at in 2014, big motor yacht..
We did nothing for the burning boat, that was for the fire Brigade..
However efforts were made to move the boats tied up either side to minimise damage and spread.. an electrical fault on a plastic boat spreads fast and fierce.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 14:45   #27

Boat: Volkscruiser

KMacdonald we rescued/moved a yacht anchored near us once. We let it drag and just hoped the owner would turn up. Eventually it got so close that I stepped onto it from our bow. The boat was locked up tight but luckily the owner had let out almost no anchor chain so I manually pulled it on board. We then towed her to a safer spot and re anchored her. By the time all that BS had happened the owner had turned up told me f**k off and no way could his yacht have dragged. I had a few other yachties helping and the guy wouldn't listen. Anyway I never spoke to the guy again. So much for helping, should have let it drift on to the beach.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 14:56   #28

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post

What a sin, to have to think of personal consequences before lending a helping hand to a fellow human being.

Cheers.
Paul.
Amen to that sentiment.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 15:00   #29

Boat: Hunter 410

I'd definitely try to help, but it's clearly not without risk.

The first time I ever chartered a boat was also the first time I'd ever anchored in more than 10 kts of wind. I was young and dumb and set the hook as well as I knew how (not very well at all ) and went ashore for dinner and drinks. I was with a bunch of college buddies and we were all too carefree and did I mention dumb, to walk over and check on the boat when the wind shifted 180 degrees and doubled in speed.

That night after drinks (I said college buddies right), we took the dinghy out into the dark anchorage and it took us a couple minutes to spot our boat. We thought we had just mis-remembered where we parked until I saw a note taped to the companionway. A helpful neighbor had seen us dragging down onto the jetty, and had come aboard and re-anchored us properly.

We tracked him down the next day and gave him a bottle of wine in thanks. Saved my bacon for sure as the liable skipper on the charter contract!

The idea that I would not pay that kindness forward now that I have learned a few lessons is just unacceptable to me. So I'll always help out in that situation if I safely can. And if they try to hold me liable for some kind of damages afterwards, then I'll just have to deal with that as best I can.
Old 14-02-2022, 15:11   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

I believe in the golden rule. If my boat was adrift, burning, or sinking, I would hope someone would help (and they have). I’ve reset others’ anchors a few times and it is usually appreciated. I’ve also salvaged a few boats (sinking) and have been HANDSOMELY rewarded.

Capt Clark
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote